skymama

Beer ingredients

What ingredient is in beer that makes me feel so bloated the next day? Wine and liquor don't have the same effect. And, do some beers have less of the offending ingredient than others?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hmm.. quite a few barstool beer myths going around it seems.:D

Hops is a flavourant, it hardly ferments at all because it contains extremely little sugar or starch.

Starch, in the form of rice or barley, is what ferments. It breaks up into malt (or maltose) which is then processed by the yeast to release ethanol and carbon dioxide.

The kind of beer that makes you feel 'bloated' is usualy the kind with a 'heavier' body where not enough of the malt was fermented and it's mostly the residual malt content that makes one feel bloated.
You should be drinking 'lighter' beers. :)

Drinking lighter beers might be a good idea but if you really want to feel even less bloated then you should drink Scotch.

Great Tasting - Less Filling!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I may not know the science of it, but I disagree with your conclusion.

The beers that play havoc with me in the morning are (A) cheap domestics [regular, light, ice, whatever] (B) microbrews and (C) other lighter colored thinner bodied beers.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Point there, coors has always been good to me during, after, and the next day. Can't say the same for the company I keep with coors light :P
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You should be drinking 'lighter' beers.

Ok...what's lighter than Bud Light? :ph34r:

Coors Light or Miller Light - Michelob Ultra - Scotch - Vodka - Jello Shots - should I go on?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

To add:

There is an important difference between 'light body' beer and light (low alcohol) beer.

Most of the 'light' beer labels are lower in alcohol than the regular labels but may still have been manufactured in a way that leaves a bit too much malt unfermented, resulting in a 'heavier' body.
The only way to identify the light-bodied beers is to try them all :).
They will typicaly be lighter in color.

BTW.. has anyone other than skymama felt bloated from Bud Light ?
Maybe its more than just beer to blame.;)

Maybe its more than just beer to blame.

LOL..heeey! :P Naw, it's the beer. It does it to me every time.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

psst,you need to drink some water before you go to sleep.Problem is that you can drink alot of beer before getting really drunk(compared to vine and so).Alcohol is trying to puch out water of your body(thats why you need a toilet so often),what you feel the next day is that your body is dehydrated...:P

well atleast it helps to me(and my gf works at Carlsberg = free beer),and i like beer(ohh and my gf:P)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

We all know she's a light weight

Hah! Ok, smarty-pants Frenchy boy, we'll see who is a lightweight the next time we're together. You're going down! :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're going down!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ehhh.. Andrea, you know, you're a nice girl and all, but I'm a married man....

be sure it wont be videoed,it then never happened:P he he

Stay safe
Stefan Faber