Duckwater

Would you shoot someone robbing your house?

DON'T shoot them in the back

I would be careful with this statement...

There is also the fact that a person being shot tends to turn away (crouching instinct). If you are shooting them, they can turn and before they fall or you stop shooting, you have hit them in the back.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I have 3 guns in my house and my wife knows how to use them. I trained her the same way I was trained in the millitary........2 to the chest and 1 to the head. If he is still moving keep shooting untill the gun is empty...reload and wait. In NJ it is a crime if you shhot the scumbag on the reload.

What could possibly go wrong?

In NJ it's a crime to sneeze funny if you own a gun. I lived there for 18 years. Good luck, my friend. I also have to applaud your instructing your wife. I know too many who haven't done enough in that regard. Lord only knows why a guy wouldn't want (A) to know she's there for your back (B) a possible new shooting partner (C) to add another shooter to the world.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

If some sorry SOB was robbing my hacienda I would first try say to myself is he/she armed.when in doubt I would not hesitate to neutralize the threat of harm to myself or my family.I have a concealed handgun license in TEXAS and the course in very specific in when you can use deadly force.REminds me of Cecil an elderly gentleman in the course who was asked if a neighbor knocked at his door and he didn't answer what would he do if that neighbor stuck his head through his bedroom window. Cecils reply was I would shoot them. When the instuctor asked why Cecil stated that his neighbor's knew not to stick their heads through his bedroom window.Welcome to Texas.

you bet i owuld shoot to kill if someone was after me or my family.

That said, one time at about 3 in the morning my alarm went off. There had been a sting of roberies in my neighbor hood, not to mention there was a serial killer still on the loose. well i jumped out of bed and grabed my pistol and went looking though my house. when i saw someone i called them... you know... hand up, all that crap. When i turned on the light, it was my brother... really drunk and came to the hosue instead of his apartment.

Scared me cause if i had not though i could have killed him. So saying that, i saw this... be careful. Think before you shoot casue y ou can not take that bullet back once it has been fired. And i dont shoot to wound, i have been tained to shoot to kill. Be careful, i learned my lesson in a very scary way that made me think twice about even having a gun in my house. IDENTIFY YOUR TARGETS!!!

Blue SKys
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

you bet i owuld shoot to kill if someone was after me or my family.

I'm sure you would, as would most here. The question in the poll, however, asked if/how you would shoot someone for robbing your house. It said nothing about them being after you or your family. In light of that, how would you answer the poll?

Firearms Safety Rule #4 - Be sure of your targets and what lies beyond them.

(sometimes I wish I could edit for people when I have more time than they do) :P
witty subliminal message
1*

a few years ago .. me and my father found some brave twat climbing out the kitchen window plus a few CD and stuff ( in the UK ... ) .. after he had his world reorganized .... administered by said father and son Tag Team ... he became a better person... plus had a nice bed stop over all paid for by the NHS...We dont have guns... only pain assisted pleasure...administered by the bunch o fives and knees and elbows ...

Anyone ever came into my house and endangered my family... yes they will die and I would do everything in my power to protect my loved ones and enjoy dishing out the pain with great pleasure :ph34r:

well in my state if someone is in your house and you feel that they present a danger to you then you have a right to protect yourself. So i guesse it is kind of weighted.... casue sopmeone could shoot them and say they thought they were after them... and yeah they would get suid and all that, but they would not be prosicuted.

That said. If someone was robbing me, i would confront. Probly with my gun in hand but out of sight. If the situation came up where he was a threat to me... hes got 2 in his chest and 1 in his head. but if he was just after my stereo.... probly not withough confronting him first. Liek i said with that situation i had before... i confronted him, did not shot.

but if he is a threat, they are gone.

IDENTIFY YOUR TARGETS!!!

There should always be a flashlight sitting RIGHT NEXT TO your gun. When you need the gun, you grab both. It helps to identify your target. Of course, don't turn it on until necessary - you will give away your exact position otherwise.

I have a handgun with a tactical light attached to the front rails. Wherever I point, I see. The light is activated by one finger in a split second when I feel I need it(switch is on grip).

Mike

There should always be a flashlight sitting RIGHT NEXT TO your gun. When you need the gun, you grab both.

Funny, didn't I say that quite a few posts ago?

I keep hearing what I've said repeated over and over again in this post, from other folks that probably didn't read what I said. I think its sort of funny and it reassures me that my training has been atleast reasonably accurate (even though I have been professionally trainined).B|:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Funny, didn't I say that quite a few posts ago?

If so, I missed it....I skipped over a bunch of posts in this thread cuz when I first saw this thread it had over 100 posts.....plus, after reading a couple from specific people I know that I agree with them and have the same mentality, so I generally just skim their posts(which means I miss a lot of it)..

I keep hearing what I've said repeated over and over again in this post, from other folks that probably didn't read what I said.

HEY! I resemble that remark! :D

I think its sort of funny and it reassures me that my training has been atleast reasonably accurate (even though I have been professionally trainined).

I feel the same way. It amazes me what some people think, though...it makes me realize that training is such a vital part of the whole situation. Actually, I may be heading back to Gunsite for another course next month.. B|

Mike

someone robbing your house? by pajarito

Although I replied to your post, my comments were not aimed at you. They were generic, low cal, and politically correct.;)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

"There should always be a flashlight sitting RIGHT NEXT TO your gun."

yeah and now there is. Thsi happened when i was in high school... like 3 years ago... i didnt have alll the trainig i do now... military... so yes there is a light next to my piston at all times.

well, having actually BEEN in this situation, i say yes. in most cases. heh. it really depends on the exact situation, i'm going to yell and see what he does, if he reaches for something or whatever, he's gone. if he's just freaked out and scared, no i'm not gonna shoot him until he makes an action to attack me. what happened in my case was my mom's ex boyfriend broke into the house, we knew he had a .38 pistol, so i knew he was carrying, and this guy is 6'5, 250 lbs. and very, very, very pissed off. i ran into the other bed room and grabbed my sawed off custom 12 guage, and managed to get behind him as he was in the closet gettin his deer rifle out, and told him to get up and back away, and get out of the house. at first, he wasnt listening, just kinda laughed, then i cocked the gun, and he was like, ah you're not gonna shoot me. if he would have gotten that deer rifle out of the case, he would have dead before he turned around. however, he realized that i was serious, and that there was a substantial amount of firepower pointed his way courtesy of my mother and my sister, both with .45 pistols. *btw, dont fuck with texas women :D* anyway, it was definitely a scary moment, its not really one that i want to repeat any time soon, or ever, actually. but yes, if i honestly thought somebody was in danger, i would have pulled the trigger. there's no doubt in my mind.

Can you really shoot someone just for being in your house even if they don't appear to be armed? Does someone deserve to die for stealing your TV set? Give me a break. Protecting your family is important, but you don't necessarily need to put one between his eyes to do that.

The point is not that he deserves to die for steeling your TV; the point is that does not deserve a warning at the risk of your own life.

"Sir, do you mean me any harm?"

BANG!

"GASP! I'll take that as a yes."

If somebody is in your house, you don't have to put yourself or your loved ones in danger to give them the benefit of the doubt. They broke into YOUR house, so Texas law give YOU the benefit of the doubt.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

If you speak to them, do so in single words until there is no threat. There was a study done many years ago that showed that if a person is speaking, it will take them at least 3 words to spot, register, and react to a threat. That may be enough time for the perp to kill you.

Good advice. I had a handgun instructor tell me the same thing. It's amazing how fast a well trained criminal can react. They can draw and shoot or leap and cover twenty feet of open ground in the blink of an eye.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Zenster is right, except I would add that anyone who says shoot to wound has obviously never been in the situation. When you pull it out you shoot and you don't stop till they are gone. If you are really lucky he didn't return fire. Now that 4 0r 5 seconds have elapsed ....

I agree with you. Any one who says they will shoot to wound in a gun fight is talking like a man with a paper ass hole. Annie Oakley is dead, shoot to wound my ass.:P With 6 rounds at 5 yards you would be doing good the just hit him with 3.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

OMG
if all of us vote corectly and dont vote just 2 vote and start a hollywood scenario i`m terrified

if we have the posibility 2 hold him in at gunpoint why 2 kill him?

if we have posibility 2 shoot him 2 wound, why 2 kill him?

if they have a gun and we have the skill 2 shoot him 2 wound, why 2 kill him?

if there is not a way 2 escape without kill them... shoot them

i hate thievs but i hate more criminals (i dont say u r a criminal if u kill an intruder... i say the corect order is
HOLD... (if u can), WOUND (if u can)... KILL (if ur life is in danger)

that`s my way

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

If you're in San Francisco you're required to fix the burglar a snack and give him/her a back massage so as not to offend their tender feelings by interrupting them needlessly.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

did i ever say i like your thinking;)

what that cleaver boy said:P

EDIT:
if you cant think before you shoot you shouldnt own a gun.Im happy that some people(specialy the guy that didnt shoot his brother,good skills sirB|) shows that it is posibly to think before shooting.that is all i want.I cant care less if your killing a person that is treathing you or others on their lifes/health,but i just want to be sure that you dont kill for a lousy stereo,which might bring you in jail for x years..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

first shot in the .357 is rat/scatter shot, for use chasing chopped canopies and intruders. Have you ever tried to shoot a snake and runaway at the same time, also its 0200, and you are awakend by an intruder in your house, 1) can you safely say that the fear/adrenalin in your system will allow you to shoot straight, or would you rather buy your self some time, hence rat shot, I may not "stop" you, but I just gave myself the advantage on shot #2

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle