bertusgeert

Turbine Westwind

So I got a message on my phone that my DZ is getting a Turbine Westwind in this weekend... I have no clue what it is, and have searched all over for it... Anyone have pics?

The only thing I can find is a Corporate Jet.

Should I make plans to fight my boss to have this weekend off? Tell me more about this plane, and if it is cool or not. How many jumpers, how fast?

Note: We usually only do 5 or 6 loads a day out of a 182 on weekends... i know that this weekend we have a shitload of tandems tho...

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/c45.html

Couldn't find a pic of a "Westwind" but scroll down on that page and then picture the aircraft with turbines on it instead of the radials. We got about 13 or so minutes to alti in the one that used to be here in Ohio.

Make sure you guys get a GOOD brief from the pilot. That thing has CG issues. Also be VERY aware of how close both the tail and flap are to the jump door. It's not hard to hit either. Especially in the case of the tail and a pilot that hasn't given a sufficient cut. OK.....now that I have scared the shit out of you........ENJOY. Not a bad airplane to jump from. :D

What DZ? There are only a few flying jumpers in the US and I'm wondering who all has them now :)
I've got 75-100 jumps in them. Nice solid planes. TailDraggers so you better have a good pilot at the helm. Big door, only slightly smaller then the Otter there, Tail is interesting but easy to miss.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Youre getting Jim Baron's Westwind this weekend. We usually fly it in Tennessee all season and we are anxiously awaiting it's arrival? Cant Jim throw those tandems out on the way or something??? ;)

Anyway, to answer your question, its similar to an Otter, but it has a bigger door.
Have fun jumping.. then send it on it's way! We're waiting...... (tell Jim I said hurry up!) :)

I imagine it really depends on the engines. I used to jump one at my old dz. 14 min to 14' all day long on a hot summer day fully loaded.
it used be able to get 14k in 10 min fully loaded, but thet was pushin it really hard.

if you take a big chunk off the plane (and your not w/ it) beware the "hop" you'll get (depend on the pilot).B|

over all: roomy, fast, big door, lots of fun!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

What DZ? There are only a few flying jumpers in the US and I'm wondering who all has them now :)
I've got 75-100 jumps in them. Nice solid planes. TailDraggers so you better have a good pilot at the helm. Big door, only slightly smaller then the Otter there, Tail is interesting but easy to miss.

The original D-18 was a tail dragger with 450 P&W's, the Westwind conversion has tricycle gear and burns kerosene as in turbine.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i've jumped the westwind that used to be at phree's dz and it was supper fast.. climbed like 8 or 9 minutes to 13k easy.... nice big door but low tail......... once ya get used to the low tail it isn't bad at all..... the t-bone we have at our dz here in utah also has a low tail and once you get acustomed to it the tail isn't even hardly thought of on jumping... (well as long as you don't jump up to much to high out the door you woun't even notice it being soooooo low.....

Yep... got 50-75 D-18 jumps. The Westwind III is still a taildragger though. http://www.skydiveswflorida.com/plane/plane1.jpg ;) Tricycle gear was introduced with the VOPAR conversion. The Westwind in the pic is from my DZ. Its got I think PT6-20's or -24's on it. And I believe that it still uses JetA instead of K1.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yep... got 50-75 D-18 jumps. The Westwind III is still a taildragger though. http://www.skydiveswflorida.com/plane/plane1.jpg ;) Tricycle gear was introduced with the VOPAR conversion. The Westwind in the pic is from my DZ. Its got I think PT6-20's or -24's on it. And I believe that it still uses JetA instead of K1.

My bad, that is the first Westwind I have seen that was a taildragger. And JetA is just glorified kerosene.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Youre getting Jim Baron's Westwind this weekend. We usually fly it in Tennessee all season and we are anxiously awaiting it's arrival? Cant Jim throw those tandems out on the way or something??? ;)

Anyway, to answer your question, its similar to an Otter, but it has a bigger door.
Have fun jumping.. then send it on it's way! We're waiting...... (tell Jim I said hurry up!) :)

Believe me, the man has never been in a hurry! :)

Believe me, the man has never been in a hurry! :)

Yep, seems like it, cuz I took the friggin day off yesterday to sit at the airport waiting for the friggin plane, only to get a call at 4:30 that he cannot make it. A lot of friggin frustrated jumpers. No plane, no pilot, perfect weather. No westwind this weekend....

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I've jumped one a few times. It's not a bad airplane. The tail a bit low but I've never seen that be an isuse. OTOH, if you are the last man out on a big formation, be careful as the tail has a tendancy to come up. My friend has his shins busted open through his jumpsuit by the bottom edge of the door when this happened.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Its got I think PT6-20's or -24's on it. And I believe that it still uses JetA instead of K1.

I've never heard of a PT6-24. Most westwinds either have PT6-20's (same engines you seen on "regular" King Air's, and Twin Otters), or PT6-27's which most "super" Otters have.

Lance

I believe the appropriate spec is ASTM-D-1655.

Tell the truth.........you made that up......didn't you? :D

Yup. Then I jammed Google full of pages about it.

I am bad. I'm like the worst of Turtle and the worst of Sunshine put together, filtered, and mentholated. With whipped cream on top every 100 jumps.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.