PhillyKev

Goodbye, freakin car....hello Harley!!!!

So my car got impounded for the third time the other day. It's been parked for a little over a week. They came along and put up cardboard no parking signs, then towed it the next day. Sick of it, finally getting rid of the pain in the ass.

On the plus side, just ran the numbers and it looks like I should get about $6,000 after paying it off and then selling it. Eyeing up a 2001 Sportster XLC1200 with 3k miles on it for......$7,000.

Go for it..... I loved my 1200 then rode some other stuff for a while and am now back on a small sporty (883).

It's great on the bike, cutting through the commuter traffic - get some really jealous looks.

The wife loves to ride with me, says it's like sitting on a washing machine during the spin cycle (not sure wot she means!!).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Sportsters are kinda small..........no room for me to tag along:P:D:D Best of luck, sounds like the best alternative!

I've got a 73 xl-1000 chopper,Believe me they've just gotta hold on real tight;)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Go with a rice eater. They don't break down.

why not buy a scooter, then you'll get good gas milage too?:P
I'd rather Push a Harley, than ride a Honda!!!B|
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

They came along and put up cardboard no parking signs, then towed it the next day.

Could you go into a little more detail here?

WTF is a "cardboard no parking signs"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

They came along and put up cardboard no parking signs, then towed it the next day.

Could you go into a little more detail here?

WTF is a "cardboard no parking signs"

It's a cardboard sign that they hang on the parking meters that says "Temporary no parking zone by order of Philadelphia police department." Usually because they want to film a movie or tv show, or clean the streets (which I've never seen them do), or personally I think they got the idea from seeing Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane put up the speed limit signs before taking off after the Duke boys.

Cost of cardboard sign - $0.25
Impound fee - $150
Philadelphia Parking Authority revenue = priceless

there HAS to be something you can do about it.

What happens when you are out of town?

You get to pick your car up from the impound lot. The first time mine got impounded the producers of "Hack" decided last minute to film on the street I was parked. Didn't have time to put up the little signs. So they just hauled off everyone's cars and put them somewhere else as per their contract with the city. They happened to put mine in a no-stopping any time zone. I had no clue it was even moved, so the parking authority came along and impounded it. I fought the ticket and fee, they set a court date 8 months later. I get there, tell them what happened, they call the police to get a record of the cars that were relocated. The police purge the records after 6 months. So, since they couldn't take my word for it, lost that one.

I never use the damn thing anyway, except to get out of town. I can do that more easily and pleasurably on a bike, or if need be, there's a rental car place 2 blocks from my house.

why not buy a scooter, then you'll get good gas milage too?

To let loose of any semblance of PC for a sec...

Because they're ummmm, gay :P

I know of only two places a heterosexual man can ride a scooter and not risk an ass-kicking: Waikiki, Hawaii, and Key West, Florida. All other places risk a severe beating for driving a scooter...:D

know of only two places a heterosexual man can ride a scooter and not risk an ass-kicking: Waikiki, Hawaii, and Key West, Florida. All other places risk a severe beating for driving a scooter...

Well, I DO live in the gayborhood. It's a pretty common site around here. But I'm not joining the crowd.

there HAS to be something you can do about it.

What happens when you are out of town?

You get to pick your car up from the impound lot. The first time mine got impounded the producers of "Hack" decided last minute to film on the street I was parked. Didn't have time to put up the little signs. So they just hauled off everyone's cars and put them somewhere else as per their contract with the city. They happened to put mine in a no-stopping any time zone. I had no clue it was even moved, so the parking authority came along and impounded it. I fought the ticket and fee, they set a court date 8 months later. I get there, tell them what happened, they call the police to get a record of the cars that were relocated. The police purge the records after 6 months. So, since they couldn't take my word for it, lost that one.

I never use the damn thing anyway, except to get out of town. I can do that more easily and pleasurably on a bike, or if need be, there's a rental car place 2 blocks from my house.

Those judges in Philly - doode - They are TOP NOTCH!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Q: Why doesn't HD make computers?

A: They have not yet found a way to make them leak oil. :D:ph34r:

do you know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

where ya stick the dirtbag:S

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

Those judges in Philly - doode - They are TOP NOTCH!

I love Philly, one of the few bastions of 19th century style politics left in the country. Hell, we still have Italians and Irish getting in fist fights with each other outside polling places, fire bombs thrown through candidates office windows, and unions kidnapping people off the street and dragging them to the polls.

It's definitely interesting.

I think you need to relocate to a state where the law is a little more sane:S.

Remind me to drive around not throught PA from now on. THat sate is wicked.:S

Nah.....it's not like that everywhere. PA is usually described as Philly and Pittsburgh with Kentucky in between.

I know of only two places a heterosexual man can ride a scooter and not risk an ass-kicking: Waikiki, Hawaii, and Key West, Florida. All other places risk a severe beating for driving a scooter...:D

There is an amazingly large number of scooters on the streets of SF now. Fortunately for those owners, you can now get decently attractive models that aren't death traps. The wheel size is nearly motorcycle and the brakes are much better. Price isn't much better, though.

I'd hate to have a Harley as my only mode of transportation. (well, I'd have to have a harley period, actually) Will it actually be there on the street when I come back outside to it? Philly can't even keep his car from being stolen by the city every few months. In my mind, no garage = get an ugly bike.