fasted3

Deployment altitude regulations

That's a scary thought- sniveling through your descision altitude- then doing nothing about it. "But it was opening."

I'm glad you mentioned that because to be honest I've never given serious thought about cutting a main that was inflating because it wasn't inflating quickly enough B|. Now I have.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

If the altimeter reports a lower altitude than the 'legal' altitude for a given license, is the jumper in violation of the regulations?

If you're dumping at an altitude where the ST&A is mentioning it to you, you're probably dumping too low. You shouldn't need to pull out your protrack and argue what altitude you pulled at. You should have a good reason for why you pulled at that altitude that jump.

I normally dump at 3k, my last jump Saturday had my Neptune showing deployment at 1600. It was noticed and briefly commented on, I had a good explanation why and people know it's not a habit. It was an "eh, shit happens" thing.

Rules shouldn't be so maniacally enforced that personal judgement of a specific situation isn't taken into consideration. And at good DZs they aren't.

Also, some sense has to be involved here. USPA states that the decision to cutaway should be made by 1,800 feet and actions should be taken by 1,600 feet. Is this really acceptable with a minimum pack-opening of 2,000 feet?

Yes. You just have to jump a big canopy that opens really fast and descends slowly in a spinning malfunction. A lot of older F111 designs loaded under a pound per square foot do that. Larger Sabres and Monarchs are getting close.

Obviously, if you're jumping something that takes longer than 200 feet to open you need to pull higher. If you're going to try to deal with spinning malfunctions where you're dumping 80-100 feet per second you need to pull higher.

Yes. You just have to jump a big canopy that opens really fast and descends slowly in a spinning malfunction. A lot of older F111 designs loaded under a pound per square foot do that. Larger Sabres and Monarchs are getting close.reply]

Well, yes and no. Even when I was jumping big F111's this was a bit ridiculous. You can never count on ALWAYS having a 200 foot opening. And if the snivel went a little long I don't know of many jumpers who were so readily cutting away. Following those standards then would've resulted in a lot of cutaways. Now they would just result in constant cutaways.

"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Oh you guys and your electronic gizmos . . .

I've grounded more than a few people for low pulls over the years and all I need is an ear and an eyeball.

On a busy DZ you never look up unless you hear something that doesn't right, and low openings are something you can hear. Then you just look up to see who gets grounded. Unless of course they had a bonefide problem or you work for a greedy DZO who won't let you ground people.

NickD :)

On a busy DZ you never look up unless you hear something that doesn't right, and low openings are something you can hear.

Sometimes all it takes is eyes :-)

It's not rocket science to figure out how someone jumping a Nav 220 manages to land first when there are a number of pocket rockets on the same load.
Owned by Remi #?