skyesspot

Free things on the side of the road....

Why is it that men feel the urge to pick up every free thing that someone else has set out on the curb?

Example:

I'm at the store, in line, at about 7:30 this morning and my phone rings...
Gary "Huney there are some green plastic chairs that I saw. Do we want them for the back porch?"
Me "What??"
Gary "Green plastic chairs. There are 4 of them. Do you think we could use them for the back"
Me "Can we throw them away if I don't like them?"
Gary "Sure. They are just plastic chairs."
Me "Fine. I don't care."

This will be the third or fourth thing the man has brought home that he 'found' on the side of the road in the past couple of weeks. :S

Does anybody else carry on with this strange practice?

Sidenote: He has found a few pretty cool things. :)
Life is too short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Mostly a practice engaged in by college students. That's all that I know. I left shit up on the curb and the good stuff was gone hours later. Scavengers, but hey, you can find some pretty cool shit. Just make sure its free of bugs or stays outside like the lawn chairs.

Don't really know of anyone besides college guys who do this. Not saying they all do or others don't, I just have no experience.

If he finds some cool shit, why not humor him and then toss em at night if you don't like em.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

If he finds some cool shit, why not humor him and then toss em at night if you don't like em.

I let him keep whatever he finds. :)
It's actually pretty cute the way he goes about it. And he is so proud of his finds how could I not enjoy it. ;)

Why is it that men feel the urge to pick up every free thing that someone else has set out on the curb?

I only heard of men picking up the used up women that other men have tossed on the curb... :S .... hmmmmm.....

Does anybody else carry on with this strange practice?:)

Nope, I've put things out there, but I never picked things up.... hmmm...:S Do you think he has a OCD?? :o ..... :D

I found 3 folding lawn chairs in the middle of the road, still attached to a roof rack. I tossed them in the car and discarded the, apparently worthless, roof rack. What the heck? They are chairs.

Another perspective - How many men go to yard sales on Saturday? Few. However, some women will spend all day going to look at other peoples used stuff and pay for the exact same used lawn chairs.

Fortunately, men have the wisdom to select the free ones. Another example of how women can learn from the men in their lives. :ph34r: :) :D

I was crashing at a friend's house one weekend. I walked outside early on Saturday and found the lady next door putting big boxes of stuff on the curb. I noticed that one box was full of books. Now, believing that books should never be thrown away, I asked her if I could grab a few of them. She said yes, so I immediately started looking. I found about $700.00 worth of nice, leather bound books that I snatched up and that afternoon, some guy pulled up in her driveway. He saw all the boxes and I could see the pain in his eyes...it seems that his S.O. had gotten pissed at him for going to play golf that morning and had placed all his "stuff" on the curb. Lol...I offered to give him his books back but with a sad, forlorn look in his eyes, he declined and slowly walked to his car and drove away. I enjoyed the books...:P

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

When I moved out of San Francisco 2 years ago I started a junk pile outside of my house thinking I'd take it all to the dump at the end of the day. There was broken chairs, rickity old furniture, clothes, trashed pots n pans, jars, an old bed, just weird stuff that I could never sell because it was basically crap. I piled it all out there next to the curb. Throughout the day I would go stack more and more useless junk out there. Then I noticed the pile getting smaller and smaller so I put a big sign that said free on it. By the end of the day everything was gone except for a small box of odds n ends. I went upstairs to turn the lights out and lock up and when I got back down someone snagged that too.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

I had a recliner that I had no room for when I moved once so I put it out by the road overnight with a "free" sign on it.
The next day it was still there, so the next night I change the sign to "$100", and it was gone in no time!:D

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

HEY?!?!?!? I was just thinking about the 4th of July party and thought they'd be a good addition, ok? Besides, I didn't get them, even tho there were 6.

and those wicker lawn chairs, I actually went up to the house and asked the guy if he minded if I took them. And they're in REALLY good shape, pillows n everything.

OTther than that, I've paid for everything. Just cause I drove to Cupertino to buy the other set of patio furniture, and go cruising the garage sales on Sat does NOT make me strange :S

and you've GOT to admit, the front yard is pretty stinkin cool nowadays....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

and you've GOT to admit, the front yard is pretty stinkin cool nowadays....

Yes, I will admit that between your curbside gatherings and all the great yard work you've done, the front yard is beautiful.

:)