jtval

words and phrases.

to biuld off of the Spelling thread...
I just wanted to tell you three phrases that Bother the hell ot of me. if you could tell the peopl ethat use these to stop ,b/c they sound dumb that would be great. If you are one of ther people that use these phrases, just know that I stop hearing you for a few seconds to think how dumb you just sounded.
:P

CONVERSATE- IS NOT A FUCKING WORD[:/]
Neither is HEIGHTH or ACROST.
its Either

Converse, height or across. please fix this glitch. and I will try to work on things that bug you that may be one of MY Flaws;)
My photos

My Videos

By and large,
UTILIZE

90% of the time I've seen it, it's really just big-word for "use." Irritates me no end. It's got a purpose, but if you utilize a paper towel to clean up a spill, well, that's abutilization of the language

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

no shit?! HUH! well I guess I can let that one go...although I bet they put it in there because of its wide utilization! LOL

IT's its' its...I suck at typing. I know better then that. but I always confused than and than! LOL
My photos

My Videos

Ooh, the one that really bugs me is ORIENTATE. There's nothing wrong with the word "orient," people!

I think it's just because the noun form of "orient" takes the "-ation" suffix, and people take it apart like they would take apart "celebration" into "celebrate" and "-ion". Gives you "orientate" and "-ion." And then it's totally over-utilized. (;)), and ends up in the dictionary.

Just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean that it doesn't sound dumb. :P

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

This whole class description... I'm probably going to take it, because what I can discern of the subject matter makes it look interesting. But I think the only word they left out is empower...

"As our companies prepare to meet the challenges posed by globalization, getting better at doing the things that made us successful in the past is just not enough to sustain that success in the future. The next generation of organizational challenges will require a different kind of leadership, one that requires a way of thinking and specific strategies for leveraging the richness of a diverse workforce in ways not previously needed"

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

because what I can discern of the subject matter makes it look interesting. But I think the only word they left out is empower...

"As our companies prepare to meet the challenges posed by globalization, getting better at doing the things that made us successful in the past is just not enough to sustain that success in the future. The next generation of organizational challenges will require a different kind of leadership, one that requires a way of thinking and specific strategies for leveraging the richness of a diverse workforce in ways not previously needed"

Wendy, you're a wise woman. What part of "We have no idea what we're doing and will be leading you down a garden path" sounds interesting?

Getting out of work for a few days would be nice. A nice checkmark next to your name for "plays well with others, shows aptitude for learning" is always good...but if YOU have to pay for this, take a vacation instead! ;)

Back to topic...

Axe. Fine, it's a word, but when someone comes to me and tells me they want to "axe me", I tend to flee.

"Head over heels." Well, aren't we usually head over heels? (Oh wait, this is a skydiving site. We may actually believe the opposite of that as normal....;)).

"Have your cake and eat it, too." Hello, unless I'm imitating Helen Keller, I must have cake to eat it. It's "eat your cake and have it, too."

Just a few here. I may recall more and post again.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Irregardless. NOT A WORD!!! I have been in meetings where intelligent people have used this non-word. Drives me nuts.

Also, when people say, "Let's flush this out" when speaking of an idea. It's not "flush" as to flush down the toilet; it's "flesh" as to put meat on the bones of the idea.

OY!:S
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

someone's been reading their "Junior Orthographic Detective's Handbook"

I make up words in conversation all the time, but it's usually just to increasify funnitude.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's a perfectly cromulent thing to do.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Irregardless. NOT A WORD!!! I have been in meetings where intelligent people have used this non-word. Drives me nuts.

Also, when people say, "Let's flush this out" when speaking of an idea. It's not "flush" as to flush down the toilet; it's "flesh" as to put meat on the bones of the idea.

I agree with you ..but it IS a word kinda
My photos

My Videos

gimme an example

As in a direction, "Orientate yourselves to face the front of the room." Or, "When I'm working on my transitions, I get disorientated." It just sounds better to me when someone says, "Orient yourselves to the front of the room," or "When I'm working on my transitions, I get disoriented."

I just finished writing a final paper, and it turns out I'm supposed to say "recipt" instead of "receival". Learn something new every day... ;)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Supercalafragilisticexpealadocious

How's that? It's not a word, and the song totally annoys me... ...you?

:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

2 words that continually frustrate me are
Goverment instead of Government

and one I here from American television shows all the time is
Anartica instead of Antarctica (as in the opposite of the Arctic)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Michele and I discussed this - it's a nonstandard word a.k.a. the dictionary folks giving in to bad grammar and word usage. It is just like the word "ain't"; it's in the dictionary but should only be used for effect, not in intelligent conversation.

I agree with you ..but it IS a word kinda

PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M