diverdriver

Spread the Love

Yes, there was indeed a hawk of some sort circling the north end of the landing area, directly over the spot that the small memorial was placed. It seemed particularly low, maybe flying between 50 and 100 feet. This one bird stayed for several minutes during the latter part of Pastor Laurian's service. It was an incredibly beautiful and uplifting sight. Maybe it was just a magnificent coincidence, but it didn't feel that way.

STL,
Emma.

On the subject of hats, thanks also to Kirk and Para Concepts for the FB caps. I think they gave away over 400 of them.

I was happy to take one of those hats. Can anyone fill me in on the significance of the 3 caricatures? I'm not familiar with that logo.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

. . . Can anyone fill me in on the significance of the 3 caricatures? I'm not familiar with that logo.

_Am

Andy,
The logo came from "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" who were "underground" comic book characters back in the '70s. (but I don't remember any of it - hahaha)

Do a search on "Furry Freak Brothers" on Yahoo or Google and you will be enlightened. B| :ph34r:

Chris,

I chewed you out before about making this old man cry, and now, dangit, you've gone and done it again!

From your description of the events, and others, it sounds like there was a fitting tribute for Roger. My best to all of you who knew him.

All I know for sure is that there is a space in my life that will never be filled, because I never met him. More's the pity.

Once again, Godspeed, Roger.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Although sad, I think yesterday was also one of my most proud and "belonging" moments as a skydiver, seeing the sense of community and how wholesome it was. I would like to think as time goes by, this sense of community will help carry us on and stay with us. I'm searching for another way to say it but this is the best I can do for now.

Here's to The Fellowship of the Firmament that is us.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

For some reason I just expected an informal get-together in the auditorium followed by a memorial jump. I was absolutely blown away by the wonderful memorial and the droves of people that came to celebrate Roger's life. I don't don't think there has ever been that many people in the hanger. Everyone from childhood friends to high school classmates to jumpers from the past 3 decades. It truly demonstrated that Roger built more than a business out of that cornfield- he built a family and touched thousands of lives.

The staff at SDC did an incredible job setting everything up. There was so much activity in the hanger that I kept catching myself looking around expecting to see Roger talking on a walkie-talkie or carrying something.

In the auditorium, they did a wonderful job laying out all of Roger's memorabilia and pictures in chronological order around the room. My favorite pictures are the ones where Roger is taking Rook and Missy on the first skydives of their lives. I pretty much lost it as life came full circle and Rook and Missy carried Roger to the Otter for his last.

Blue Skies, Roger.

The memorial was very nice.
What i especially liked was the idea to wear the shirt of a dz. I know not everyone's shirt represented the dz they were from (i had one that i was given from scotland...) but still, there was enough variety that it was really cool to see how far people had come to pay their respects. it was one of those things that really drove home the point that we are all one big family, and it extends beyond just the jumps themselves.

blue skies, Roger, and condolenses to everyone at SDC.

I pretty much lost it as life came full circle and Rook and Missy carried Roger to the Otter for his last.

Blue Skies, Roger.

I thought Missy's speach was very moving too. She got up there and told everyone that she was not Roger. Roger could speak so charismaticly that she didn't know if she could find the words at that time. But she did beautifully well. And the comment I remember most was something like "One legacy has ended. And a new one has begun!" I believe that was a standing O. It was so right on.

Chris

What more can I say to add to all these wonderful posts. All I can say was that the memorial was electrifying. You could really feel Roger's spirit there among all of us. It was just an incredible tribute to the life of an incredible person.

Chris Chrzan
Skydive Houston

It was beautiful. I have never heard that melody put to the 23rd Psalm before. I wonder where she got it.

Aww, thanks y'all. I wrote that tune on Sunday, sitting out at a picnic table. I wanted something that would allow everyone to feel their grief, but not be overwhelmed by it. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Roger was always trying to get me to sing, and I usually had some sorry excuse for why I couldn't....

The thing that struck me about the whole weekend, and especially Monday, was this: Roger would have loved to see so many people at SDC sharing stories, and seeing each other for the first time in years. It was a great an awful weekend -- awful to say a last goodbye to someone who meant so much to so many, but wonderful to have each other for support. I'm proud to have been a part of it.

-B

In today's Kane County Chronicle (for those of you in or near Kane County, IL), there is a nice picture of Rook and Missy walking towards the plane with everyone lined up on the sides for the memorial dive. I couldn't find it online, but it's in the actually "paper" newspaper in the main section.

blue skies
Tomas

Roger's sister Carleen asked me to post this in response to Andy's question.

Smooth was right...the caricatures are from the Freak Brother comics. But each character represents one of the original 3 Freak Brothers. On the right is Carl Nelson (FB#1), on the left is Roger Nelson (FB#2), and in the middle is Wayne Nemic (FB#3).

By the way...if anyone knows the where abouts of Wayne...can you have him contact Roger's family. They have been trying to get a hold of him.

Thanks!!

Spread The Love

-----------------------------------------------------
When you're going to extremes...you taste adrenaline!!

One year Roger. Man, lots of changes since then. I just listened to a CD with audio from a radio show you did last year. Wow, it always strikes me when I hear your voice again. At first I'm reminded that I will not hear it in person again so I am sad. It is my own selfish reasons that make me shed a tear when I hear your voice. But I know you are in a better place and you are looking out for us. You know what I mean.

But then as I listened it felt so good to just sit and listen to you reach out to others on the radio. Listening to the description of what a first time tandem goes through as they go through the training and get to the door's edge and finally find themselves in free fall. You were talking about Faith and likening it to the faith we have in someone whom we've never met to take us out of an airplane and into the unknown for the first time. I felt a Peace inside of me.

You are gone physically but you are not gone. We remember this day, June 7th, as your transformation day. It does seem hard to believe that it has been one year already. There has been much shedding of tears and many moments of laughter since then. We go on doing the best we can. I know I have changed much in the past year. I know you can see it too.

Thanks again Roger,

Chris

WOW, a year has come and gone. I was going through some old boxes, we are moving in 30 days, and I found the greatest gift Roger could have ever given me, a bible.

In side the cover Roger wrote: Tim this is the best give I can give you, happy birthday, FB#2 Roger Nelson.

That is something I don’t read much but will cherish for a life time. Fly free Roger.

Tim Ryan

I never had the opportunity of meeting Roger, but every word I have heard about him has been of love, admiration, and respect. I know from all my friends who spent time with him that he was more than a good man, and I wish I could have had the chance to meet him. Maybe one day I will.

Until then, blue skies.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Chris, Thanks for the bump on this one. Roger had stopped by my DZ about a month earlier. I remember the weather was horrible. While he was there, I was thinking it would be great to make a jump with him, but no chance. Now I guess the weather was a blessing. I got to introduce Roger to so many people that had never met him. He was always so personable. We got to talk. I talked about my kids, and he talked about Rook and Missy. We talked business, training, old times and new. He even noted his short visit to my DZ in his weekly update that next week. I was proud to be considered a "friend" by Roger and even more proud to call Roger, "my friend".

Roger you set the bar at another level for us. You did it every time we thought we had achieved success. You always, always challenged us, to step up, to be smart, to move ahead.

Yes, I miss Roger, but more than I miss him, I see that his legacy lives on, in so many people, in so many ways. Thanks again Roger, for all that you did.

Wally West