lewmonst

Who's in the femur club? speak up...

every day is getting easier :) but I am very tired from partying at Chicks Rock...

NO MORE CRUTCHES!!!!!!!!!! Woooohooooooo!

I was shocked to see how well you were moving around without crutches when we visited. But please remember to take care of yourself and let Cajones spoil you;)

It was great seeing ya.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yesterday was my 6 month mark. I have been back jumping for almost 2 months now. I am running again, not as fast or as far as before, but i am definately seeing improvement. I used to run 3 or 4 miles at 7.2 mph... now I'm doing 1-2 miles at 6.5mph mostly. it hurts. but it's not a bad hurt. The doctors finally admitted I was right and my top screw is not flush with the bone so I can see and feel it under my skin... even though Ed says he can't see any difference. I've definately lost a lot of muscle tone all over, and I'm working on rebuilding that.... The scar on my hip is still quite promenant.

It's been a long 6 months, but at least I am recovering!

I had it on video, but that tape was destroyed in the fire... [:/]

I know several more people have unfortunately joined the femur club recently. Just wanted to say there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

peace
lew

EDIT TO ADD: I guess I'll be organizing an all femur club skydive in Rantoul this year. Let me know if you want to be on it so I can start making a list. :)
http://www.exitshot.com

I guess I'll be organizing an all femur club skydive in Rantoul this year. Let me know if you want to be on it so I can start making a list. But everyone has to promise to land safe.

Sign me up.

I do hereby promise to land safely.:)

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Reached down to grab my leg after I crashed my motorcycle and cut my hands on the bones sticking out of my leg. (tib/fib)

Don't want to belong to no femur club.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Beck to doctor today to find out when I can get my hardware out... and it wasn't what I expected. My bone is strong and has grown really well. The fracture site is solid and about 33% bigger than the original femur shaft in diameter. The 40 cm rod they put in was too short. Yep, I needed a 46 he said. We even busted out the tape measure on the x-ray and did a little math. Call me long legs, but geez. Anyway, the doc who did the surgery did a good job, i'm not rotated or too short or too long, i've healed very well, BUT, the rod is way down in my femur and it would be a difficult surgery to remove it, and could have complications. So, after much discussion with the doc, the rod is going to stay in my leg indefinitely. He is going to do a minor surgery to take out the top screw which bothers me when I run. Good news is there's virtually no recovery from that, whereas I'd have probably 2 months recovery if they took it all out. I kept asking what if I had another accident like the first one... and he kept trying to brush it off with people don't just go and break their femurs all the time... then he finally said I'd break every bone in my body before that one because it's so strong now, and if it did break, it would break somewhere else, like where the rod doesn't reach...

I'm slightly bummed I won't be able to mount the rod on my wall or something... oh well. Maybe I'll make a necklace out of the top screw. The lower screw will stay in also. So I'll still set off some metal detectors...

peace
lew

... My bone is strong and has grown really well. The fracture site is solid and about 33% bigger than the original femur shaft in diameter.

My right ankle (tib) is larger than my left after I broke it, had hardware put in, and most of the hardware removed. Be thankful that yours is higher up your leg; it won't be as noticeable! I get VERY embarassed about when I wear dresses...:$[:/] so I don't wear them hardly at all. It is quite noticeable, and I don't think anything will ever help it. Ah well, it's stronger, though! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well, I didn't realize that there was this posting, but a little less than 4 months ago, I compound fractured my femur too. I finished PT last week, and have a femur appointment tomorrow. I'm nervous if I'm going to get the okay to start jumping or not. The rod is meant to stay in my femur, so taking it out isn't an option. I just want to get back in the air. I feel like it can do it!

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Dammit Lew, you can run?

grrr.

I'm pissed that they put mine in through my knee, because my knee is still f$(*ed up. I can run for short distances, but it still hurts my knee and where the two screws are near the joint.

I'm sick of the stupid elliptical trainer...I need to be able to run!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Dammit Lew, you can run?

grrr.

I'm pissed that they put mine in through my knee, because my knee is still f$(*ed up. I can run for short distances, but it still hurts my knee and where the two screws are near the joint.

I feel the same way about the elliptical trainer! I hate that thing! They put the rod through my knee too. The screws don't bother me too much, but I have trouble running distances also. My knee tends to go numb! It stinks!

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Femurdin a couple years ago. Titanium rod from my knee to my hip socket. Waited 10 months to jump. Doc said I could after 4 mths. Still had a bad limp. No prob now, still in, I just eat Ibuprofen by the handfulB|
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Dammit Lew, you can run?

grrr.

That sucks. I feel very lucky that mine went back together so nicely. Kudos to my surgeon even though the rod was too short.

I took it easy though. I waited 4 months before jumping again, even though I probably could have after 3 months. I think you got back in the air way earlier than I did. The screw in my hip is an annoyance so I'm having it taken out. Maybe when you have yours out you will be able to run again. Also, how bad was your break? Mine was pretty clean, one big snap with a one little extra piece floating.

I'm kinda amazed i've healed so well. I don't drink milk at all. but i was in pretty good shape when it happened.

peace
lew

I broke my femur back when I was 14 - I got hit by a bus that was coming around a corner while I was midair on my BMX jumping across a 2 lanesB|:$B|

Next thing I saw was a blurry image of what I made out as a nurse and I was in a ambulance. Scared my dad was going to kick my ass when I got home, I asked whe my bike was. The answer I got - lay sill, you've got a broken leg. Then I had to ask which one, above or below knee before feeling pain kick in:S

So then I got a long piece of titanium shoved into femur with one long scare on the side of my thigh and another one on my butt to show.

Had the pin removed about 2 years after. What a relief - no more butt cramps after excercise or when the weather gets cold.

So do I get to join the club?:)
My other ride is the relative wind.