royalskydiver

USPA needs to update their emblem. This is 2004' not the 70's

You can also [email] me at [email protected]

USPA needs to update their emblem from the round parachute and wings to the ram-air and wings.
Draw it out on paper you'll see what I'm talking about. I know they're people that don't like change but this change would be for the better.

Here's what I was thinking. USPA needs to change the round parachute to a Ram-Air, move the shield up into the suspension lines and have an eagle head with wings at the bottom where the old shield is now. This is 2004' not the 70's. We don't use rounds anymore. We are also "AMERICANS" that need our country bird as a symbol also!!!!!!!
RoyalSkydiver
Robert Hammond

royalskydiver... We are also "AMERICANS"

and the USA are a kingdom, you should have a crown on the emblem too :P:P
It is an emblem, not just a plain logo. It has history, and you need roots, even if we all aim to stay in the sky.
And do a search, several people around here have recently purchased round parachutes.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

If you been in the sport for 10 years you should know is been discussed plenty even in Parachutist magazine, conclusion : the logo stays as it is, do some forum search, maybe you can find it in all the parachute magazines you gather thru 10 years in sport.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I prefer to maintain some history. I wouldn't update as you suggest, but I'd consider going to a logo that included daVinci's parachute. My real sense is to just stay with what we have though. Think of it as retro-chic.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Changing a logo is a -big deal-.

It is a huge risk to mess with a well established and historical logo.

The current logo works, it's attractive, conveys a certain amount of strength and yes even nationalism and most importantly shows the historical origins of the organization.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

While experienced skydivers know that ram-airs are by and far the most commonly used parachutes and most would prefer to jump them, the whuffo public still tends to associate skydiving activities with big round parachutes, their a cultural icon. So what, we know we fly something different, who cares?

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Changing a logo is a huge deal and expensive and time consuming. In order to change it you have to introduce it nice and slow that people don't even really notice the change. But changing a logo like USPA's is not a bad idea, I would like CSPA's logo change. Both logos are somewhat the same. Look at them what does it tell you?

CSPA did a little brain storming session one day and those that were there were asked what is CSPA not. We're not: military, not using rounds (as much), not blah blah blah. And guess what that’s what our logo says; basically everything that we said CSPA is not was represented in the logo. And that’s what the non-skydiving public associates with skydiving. And if you look at USPA and USPA's logo I'm sure you might come to the same conclusion.

But, anywho like I said before it's still a big pain to make the change.

Sean

Mexicans, Canadians, Brasilians, Argentinos are all "AMERICANS" too...
Just south or middle, or further north americans...
You're just a United states citizen... If you really think it makes a difference in people...
:S
Infinite diversity in infinite combinations!B|
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

The British Parachute Association (BPA) changed its logo fairly recently. It used to be a guy in freefall with a bellymount reserve... Since this was considered too old fashioned, the round was removed. I much prefer the new logo :)
Change is not always a bad thing ;)

Steph
-x-

Changing a logo is a -big deal-.

It is a huge risk to mess with a well established and historical logo.

The current logo works, it's attractive, conveys a certain amount of strength and yes even nationalism and most importantly shows the historical origins of the organization.

I can't say I agree with you quade - but you might very well be very correct on this one issue.:P

If it is so important for you (Royalskydiver) to change the emblem - Which I think would be a mistake - perhaps you could design a jumper with a ram air doing a flag jump with the USPA symbol on the flag.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun