mouth

Respect....

It seems we have lost all respect for each other. People don't give a damn if they hurt other people at all. It seems we are all out for what feels good for me rather than thinking about if what we say or do hurts another. We don't care what other people think of us and our actions. We lie because we don't respect each other. We cheat because we dont care what people think. We don't care anymore about anything at all.

What do you think? Is respect a lost art that the younger generation has no clue about? Are we all doomed to rot in hell?

I'd say end of rant but you all know that just isn't true.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

When I was growing up, I heard about "The Golden Rule" all the time from my parents and teachers. I don't really hear society talking about that anymore, which is sad. Think of how much better the world would be if people would just treat others the way they would like to be treated.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

We run a RESPECT program at school.
It's the single NON negotiable rule in my classroom.
You will treat each others person and property with respect, or you will loose MY respect.(and you don't wan't that>:()
It's amazing to see how the kids adapt, at the start of the year, they (year 8s) didn't do things that were disrespectful out of fear.
Now it can some times be heard that he kids will check someone for not being respectful:)
I love my Job:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I wish there was some way to teach respect to adults too. It is amazing how people as old as 30 show no respect for their girls or guys, for anyone's property, nothing, nobody.

Found out a friend of mines relative was pushed down a flight of stairs by her husband and broke her neck. Where is the respect from someone who is supposed to love you? Obviously love and respect do not go hand in hand. Confirms what I've recently learned about "love".

Nobody is perfect but geez do we all have to be total uncaring bastards?

I agree we were taught the golden rule growing up but I think it has gotten lost in the ME Generation[:/]

--
Hot Mama

I agree we were taught the golden rule growing up but I think it has gotten lost in the ME Generation[:/]

I guess I'm a member of that generation (age wise only).

respect is NOT lost on me, nor is it missing from my 4 children.

5 words for most parents out there;
"Time outs do not work."
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

You know Skymama, you bring up a very good point. I think many people, for whatever the reason, have forgotten about the "Golden Rule". Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Respect yourself, respect those around you, respect your environment. A lack of respect in any of these areas only leads to negative consequences.

Lisa that totally sucks. Something very similiar happened to me when I was 'trying to convince' my ex to stay w/ me. His 'girlfriend' was inside and he was bound and determined to keep me out. Even at the cost of stairs and an emergency room visit for me. My decision was made that night. I had been disrespected for the last time. I couldn't think about my kids growing up w/out a dad anymore. I had to think about myself. I send prayers for the woman involved. May she heal, heart, mind, soul and spirit.
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

5 words for most parents out there;
"Time outs do not work."

No shit!

I was raised with old fasion whipings on the butt. Did it actually damage me? Nope. Did I learn something? Yup.

Every time I go to Wal-Mart, the mall or another public place with lots of kids, my skin crawls due to the spoiled-no-respect-screaming-children-with-the-parents-not-doing-anything.
[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

words for most parents out there;
"Time outs do not work."

Really? My brother and I were never spanked as children. My brother is one of the most respectful people that I know. He did well in college, and he is a very loving husband and father of two.

Also, a lack of respect in humans has been shown all throughout time. The "good ol' days" really weren't. Lisa, I feel very sorry for your friend, but that behavior was actually "okay" in years past. At least now, while it's still going to happen regardless, people can see that it's not acceptable.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I simply don't understand what could make someone go to such extreme measures. I can only imagine what you went through with your ex. It seems that the feel good in the moment attitude of being with the new girlfriend was your ex's problem. Like I said the ME generation.[:/]

I lay awake last night thinking about what Eric said about his cousin in the hospital fighting for her life and I smiply couldn't understand what could make someone be so cruel to another human they profess to love. Sad thing is I concluded we do it to each other all the time just maybe not so extreme of physical harm but emotionally.

Only good this is I remember Karma can be a bitch. God I love karma. One day, maybe not today and maybe not in my sight, but one day you will get payback. Someone will hurt you like you did that person.

--
Hot Mama

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders, and love chatter in places of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up their food, and tyrannize their teachers." (Socrates, 469-399 B.C.).

;)

IMO, a part of this problem is that people have different ideas on what 'respect' means.

Does respect mean acknowledging basic human rights and civil courtesy ? Or does respect mean compliance with every wish and whim of every friend or an authority figure (parent/boss) ?

Do different cultures and ethnic groups around the world interpret civil courtesy differently ? I could disrespect a Japanese home by marching in with my boots on (rather than removing them at the door) and not realise I was showing disrespect.

Should we respect the person ? ..or respect the position they hold regardless of their credibility ?
I know of one teenager who shot his father to prevent his mother from receiving yet another beating. Did this child disrespect his father ?
Using the above example, do children have the judgement to truly know what respect is, who deserves it, and when and how to apply it ?

And lastly, are we obliged to still respect those who disrespect us ? Most of us will come into contact with thousands of people in our lifetime and few of us have time and resources to please all of those people all of the time.

Assuming basic human rights and civil courtesy is the common definition of respect, we should all get along fine, but IMO its not always a clear issue.

People who dont respect others have no respect for themselves.
I've never had any trouble removing myself from situations where I was treated disrespectfully. I've lost a lot of friends (and S.O.'s) because of this. Sometimes it hurts me more than they know, but thats my decision. I'd rather have my feelings hurt for a little while than be hurt over and over. Not to mention that people who dont respect me dont deserve to have me in their life.
Some of us get it.. some never will.

I try - but it isn't easy instilling respect - while the ex other half does a half hearted - half assed - attempt.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Maybe we should define respect then. What is it?

I also know the lack of respect is nothing new just on a rant like I said earlier. It seems to me if you love someone or even give lip service to that though then you don't do things to hurt them. Just my opinion. I also know that from dealing with kids daily it is tough to instill that value. They don't see anything wrong with defacing a new building, knocking someone's books from their arms, even my 8th graders see nothing wrong with hanging all over each other in the halls and groping their girlfriends in public.

--
Hot Mama

"Respect", or appropriate behavior towards another person, is defined for the sub-culture of a person.

There is contact occurring between two sub-cultures with different definitions.

In your school, you are defining what is appropriate based on the behaviour of adults outside of the school. The kids are defining it based on what they wish to do.

Dad wouldn't hesitate to whoop my ass. The lessons behind the ass whoopings stuck. All though my military career and civilian jobs, "the old-timers" always commented on how I must have been brought up right. Well, it worked for me anyway. To this day, pretty much, regardless of one's age - they're a "sir" or a "ma'am" to me.

I'm also thought to be very polite. My parents had a very small bottle of whoop-ass. My son is also polite, and his parents' bottle was probably even smaller.

There's a lot that goes into a polite child who becomes a polite adult. Example is probably the strongest in the long run for most kids.

Note -- YMMV with kids. They're not all the same :o. And the instruction book is wrong :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I try to always respect everyone I meet, until they give me some reason not to. I expect the same from others.

P-

It is great to expect that respect but sucks when you really don't see it. I'm sure you have been in that situation so what do you do?

--
Hot Mama