alanab

jumping under 18??

Alana, the actual tandem master are not going to answer this. It's actually in the sims that tandem passengers MUST be the age of legal majority, which in most states is 18. Violating that could mean them losing their tandem rating.

Look to the south, where a couple of states have a lower legal majority age.

Besides that, the only way for it to happen is to become a serious DZ fly (for her), get well known at 1 dz, and get someone to sneak her up.
But, by that time she'll probably be 18. [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Alana, the actual tandem master are not going to answer this. It's actually in the sims that tandem passengers MUST be the age of legal majority, which in most states is 18. Violating that could mean them losing their tandem rating.

taken from uspa.org

Although it finished early at 1:15 Sunday afternoon, July 18, the second biannual meeting of the USPA Board of Directors, held near USPA Headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia, proved productive. Highlights include:

-Former USPA National Director and world champion Al Krueger has been named for the 2003 USPA Lifetime Achievement Award.

-The requirement for tandem jumpers to be at least age of legal majority was removed from the BSRs. Now all skydivers, regardless of type jump, must meet the same requirements: 18 years of age or 16 with notarized parental or guardian consent.

I did my first tandem this way 3 years ago and have been confused as to how I was able to get away with this, but according to USPA's website this should no longer be an issue as long as both parents sign and notarize the waiver.

Relative Workshop (Vector/Sigma tandem)

11. Buyer agrees not to permit anyone under the age of majority for entering into
contractual relationships, both in the state in which the Waiver is signed and also in the
state in which the jump is to be made, to utilize the Tandem Parachute System for a
parachute jump and/or a tandem parachute jump.

It's your life, live it!

Damnit, ya beat me to it! :P

Well with that being the case, how can the USPA say they're allowed to jump at 16 when the manufacturer specifically doesn't allow it?

Also, I was looking on the Strong website and couldn't come up with anything cuz my pdf files won't open. Maybe they have a different policy?

The USPA is not a governing body. The manufacturers can set limits, but the USPA can actually only make suggestions. Granted many of these suggestions may make it to law eventually (FARs), but just having them in the BSRs means very little.

As far as I know, every tandem maker requires the age of legal majority. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
It's your life, live it!

Well with that being the case, how can the USPA say they're allowed to jump at 16 when the manufacturer specifically doesn't allow it?

Basically, because USPA is not a legal issue agency on this matter. They regulate training. As far as trainging goes, what is the difference between 16 and 18? Most DZ's, like our's, doesn't allow 16 for any training method. You must be 18 to enter into a legal contract and the parent's can't sign away a minors rights. Also, in Texas at least, the state can take action for endangering a child if they are under 18 and they get hurt regardless of any paperwork. I have heard of some DZ's in the state that do it anyway, but we are not willing to take that risk. Basically, it is a waste of time having them fill out the paperwork. It is just like taking them without an assumption of risk agreement. Add to that, it would violate the agreement with Relative Workshop. That can carry a fine from RWS. I don't know that they have every tried to actually fine someone, but I am sure if that caused them a lawsuit, they would try to get their money back out it in every means available to them.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Jump Shack (Racer tandem)

7. Additionally, Buyer agrees that any jump that utilizes the parachute is considered a "tandem jump". Using the parachute outside the student tandem instructor training environment is considered a violation of federal law (FAA exemption No. 5448) Examples of violations: Demonstration jumps, stunt jumps, intentional water jumps, night jumps, canopy relative work jumps, jumping with any student less than 18 years of age and any tandem jump that takes place off of a designated drop zone. (These restrictions do not apply to military tandem applications).

It's your life, live it!