f1racer696

Diablo 170

im looking into getting a new canopy and have noticed Diablos dont sell for to much, and arent really all that desirable.

but what do guys think i could get for my Diablo 170. it has aprox. 350 jumps on it, no patches, clean lines, and has always been packed indoors and on carpet.

would someone pay $700 for something like that? or more or less?

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

im looking into getting a new canopy and have noticed Diablos dont sell for to much, and arent really all that desirable.

They have their fans. You need to find one.

but what do guys think i could get for my Diablo 170. it has aprox. 350 jumps on it, no patches, clean lines, and has always been packed indoors and on carpet.

would someone pay $700 for something like that? or more or less?

Someone? Yes. Anyone? No, it's not everybody's canopy.

Put it in the classifieds, post to a recent thread where every Diablo lover in the world had a get-together recently, and wait.
Johan.
I am. I think.

That horse is not for you.

You don't really need the fastest spinning canopy ever...

Leave Diablo, Stiletto alone!

my reading of that is that he already has one and is trying to sell it

that would be correct. lol, yeah i got a great deal on my rig so i settled with a diablo. i havnt had any trouble with it, and if fact, i like it, its not to bad. but obviously i am not pushing it too hard, i have a low wing loading on it and i dont try anything crazy.

but i want to downsize to a 150, and thinking in the long run would like something that i can eventually wing suit with, although that probably wont be for another year.

im on a bit of a budget, but ive heard bad things about Sabre1's. my DZO wouldnt even let me get one when i was first looking into getting a rig. are there really a lot of problems with the super hard openings ive heard so much about?

Dudeist Skydiver #61

You have 76 jumps, and your DZO was okay with you jumping a Diablo but not a Sabre1?

Get advice from someone else.

The Sabre1 is fine, and more appropriate to your experience level. Size is a whole other issue. Why the desire to downsize so early?

- Dan G

I'm one of the few, the proud, the battle scarred who liked his Diablo. But it was zippy and I'm surprised some responsible gear dealer let you into that with so few jumps. Or did you buy it off the classifieds? Gave mine up when the end cell ruptured two times in as many months. Tried to find some used ones out there. Finally, Aerodyne offered me half off a new Pilot rather than repair my Diablo and I've been flying a 168 ever since.
Just curious- been a long time since I owned mine but I had a 175- did they really come in a 170 size as well? If your's was a 175 I might have been willing to make an offer.
Now accepting submissions for witty, profound signature line. Attractive women may apply in person, naked.

I suspect his is a 170 and yours was not a 175. (One of the reviews on this site mentions a 170.) Triathlons come in 175, but I've never heard of any other canopy that does, and you would not mistake a Triathlon for a Diablo.

I don't think you're going to notice 5 ft² BTW. Make him an offer. You know what he'll sell for. :)
Edit: Just found I have the trim sheet for the Diablo (I tend to collect those for canopies I've flown). It comes in sizes 88, 99, 110, 120, 135, 170, 190.

Johan.
I am. I think.

The reason they dont sell for much is b/c they have been discontinued by Aerodyne. I started jumping a Diablo 170 right after AFF (Im 165 out the Door) and never had an issue with it. While it is ground hungry and turns fast, if you dont overload it, or do dumb shit close to the ground, you should be fine. I loved mine so much I now rock a Diablo 150.
ZC OG

i got the diablo 170 at about 35 jumps. they gave me a good talking to about its capabilities and how careful i have to be. the stuff people have said about it i havnt had any trouble.

like yes it oversteers, but so what? its not hard to correct. and people say its twitchy and hard to land? not really for me, i havnt had any trouble landing it. i came into this sport from some other extreme sports and i know from experience that you cant think your hot shit and try stuff your not ready for, or your gonna hurt...bad.

and i dont really need to downsize, i started on a 170 and am really comfortable with it, and i kind of want a new canopy that i can eventually wingsuit with. like a spectre or a pilot or something. and if im gonna get a new canopy than i want to get one that i will keep for a while.

im not really looking to downsize like RIGHT NOW, but sometime in the next 6 months or so. im in no rush.

sooo pilotpilot. any offers? haha

Dudeist Skydiver #61

Colors? Line type? Photos?

the colors are black, dark blue, light blue, yellow, light blue, dark blue, black. To tell you the truth I don't know what the lines are. They are the original lines though. Send
me your email in a PM I'll send you some pictures.

Dudeist Skydiver #61

>like yes it oversteers, but so what?

Above a certain loading that can lead to frequent cutaways. As long as you keep the loading low you can avoid most of that though.

ah i see. ya i didnt know that. yeah i get a bit of oversteer but its pretty easy to control since i have a pretty low wingloading

Dudeist Skydiver #61

You have 76 jumps, and your DZO was okay with you jumping a Diablo but not a Sabre1?

Get advice from someone else.

The Sabre1 is fine, and more appropriate to your experience level. Size is a whole other issue. Why the desire to downsize so early?

I found this interesting as well. I owned a Diablo 190 that I sold through the classified. It had 10 jumps on it when I sold it. I was never a big fan of it. My ex husband loved loved his Diablo 170 and surprised me with a new Diablo one year at the WFFC. You either love em or hate em!

Anyhow, I verified jump numbers before selling it. I had offers from people with 100 jumps and wouldn't sell it to them. I couldn't in good conscience.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Anyhow, I verified jump numbers before selling it. I had offers from people with 100 jumps and wouldn't sell it to them. I couldn't in good conscience.

Good for you. I know there are a lot of scrupled skydivers out there that are concerned about keeping our sport safe and out of the headlines (in a negative light). Sadly, there are those who are more interested in making a buck or getting their item sold regardless. Thanks for looking out for newbies and low-timers!
Now accepting submissions for witty, profound signature line. Attractive women may apply in person, naked.

I sold my diablo 120 (which scared me a bit on opening just about every jump I made on it, didn't make that many...) to a very lightweight guy with 300 jumps or so, he came with good references and he test-jumped it on my DZ, but a few weeks later I saw the same canopy up for sale again...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I got my diablo 150 when I had about 300 jumps or so. There is a reason I call it my little devil. Sometimes she's pissed off when let out of the bag.

It opens smoothly, but turns really really fast. Kind of like balancing on a giant beach ball that's been coated with Vaseline. Flare leaves some to be desired.

Personally I like the way it flies, the way it responds, but the way it turns ends up being a little limiting and there are many other canopies out there that can be a fun ride without the downsides of this Diablo.

I hope you get the best price you can, but I think you might be spending some time trying to sell it for what you're asking. If it were brand new in the box you might be able to get $800 for it :(

-Michael

I think you might be spending some time trying to sell it for what you're asking. If it were brand new in the box you might be able to get $800 for it :(

-Michael

I don't think I would actually post it for 700. That was just an estimate to see if someone would pay that. But what do you think I could get
for that? 400-500? Or not even that. That's kind of dissapointing. Cause I realy like the canopy. Its just probably not to great
for what I want to do.

Dudeist Skydiver #61