mamajumps

Jumping again this weekend...

and am nervous as hell...

if any of ya'll remember I had a cutaway on 5/17 due to full line twists. I intended to get back in the air that day with a rented rig, but it started sprinkling and I never made it. I have literally drove this thing into the ground trying to disect it (what caused the mal). Since I cant figure it out and I am due to finish my canopy course this weekend I am literally sick with nerves. My cutway was also during the canopy course (jump 2) from 5000'. I dont like hop n pops anyway and this has made it worse. Dont know what to do to get over this hump, other than jump but right now Im almost too scared too....[:/]

I have literally drove this thing into the ground trying to disect it (what caused the mal).

Line twists happen, since you are skittish about H&Ps my guess would be bad body position at/after pull.

Dont know what to do to get over this hump, other than jump but right now Im almost too scared too....[:/]

Either jump or not, as you feel.

I had a scary h&p early on when I took a canopy course, somewhere around jump 45? It was an exit from a side door cessna, which is a bit crowded for my height. I just sort of dove out and flipped but threw the PC before I ended the flip and snagged the PC on my foot. Fortunately I was able to point the toe and get it to fly off, but could have been 'interesting.' Lesson was don't rush the throw - you don't have to toss it 1sec out the door.

I got much better on the hill and now H&Ps are easy for any exit style, and a pretty soft opening. You can practice a H&P release on every solo exit.

is there an exit type that is easiest for you? For me, it's was a diveout. For some, probably poised. In the worst case, maybe you could do a regular jump and open at 5.5, but that's probably not compatible with jumping with the rest of the class.

I had a scary h&p early on when I took a canopy course, somewhere around jump 45? It was an exit from a side door cessna, which is a bit crowded for my height. I just sort of dove out and flipped but threw the PC before I ended the flip and snagged the PC on my foot. Fortunately I was able to point the toe and get it to fly off, but could have been 'interesting.' Lesson was don't rush the throw - you don't have to toss it 1sec out the door.

I got much better on the hill and now H&Ps are easy for any exit style, and a pretty soft opening. You can practice a H&P release on every solo exit.

is there an exit type that is easiest for you? For me, it's was a diveout. For some, probably poised. In the worst case, maybe you could do a regular jump and open at 5.5, but that's probably not compatible with jumping with the rest of the class.

Yeah I thought about going to altitude, but that would put me in a traffic pattern with everyone else which would make it harder to focus on class stuff... it will work out, Im just nervous, cause I dont know what went wrong... so there for I cant correct it...[:/]

and am nervous as hell...

, other than jump but right now Im almost too scared too....[:/]

You will be scared driving to the DZ, waiting to jump, and gearing up. You'll feel better walking to the plane, a little better on the climb to altitude, and fan-fucking-tastic when you exit!

After you land, you'll wonder what all the nerves were about;)

I know these thing to be true...have fun!

Jon

I just had an interesting talk last night with the non-jumper-smarter-half. She told me that avoiding because of fear causes more importance to be placed on the task you must overcome. Although a psychological discussion it does bear some truth in my own experience. It took a bit to get back in the saddle after having to use planB. So I vote, get back in the saddle and get up there.

-Michael

Sweetheart, look at it this way...

You had a problem and you handled it well. What a great confidence builder! Now you know you can do it when/if the need arises! How cool is that?

What caused it? Maybe you told about that in another thread (I don't recall) but in general, line twists are most often caused by less-than-perfect body position at opening. Hell, it could have been simply a screwball packjob that had nothing to do with you (unless you packed it yourself, of course). It could have been an act of God Who knows?

The important part is the realization that you handled it and can do it again if necessary. Something to be proud of, not feared.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Somehow your mal probably relates to poor canopy choice - a gear-fear issue has resulted.

Your Profile indicates you are jumping an A-Max at a wingloading of 3.07:1 (which puts you at +450 lbs) . That A-Max is a wee bit small for your experience level.

Try jumping a SET 400. :P

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73