sum1mom

When your whuffo crosses the line

>:(>:(

Sorry for this slightly long post – but, I must rant on……

My best friend, who is normally quite conservative, did something that took me by absolute surprise and has left me completely beside myself.

A little background: I poke fun at her on occasion with the “whuffo” statement when she harasses me for “falling from the sky.” She usually comes back with something clever and we let it go. Yesterday, I forwarded the “movie trailer” gag to her (from the Bonfire) with her starring in “The Whuffo.” I thought it was hysterical. She replied with an email stating “check out this skydiver!” Innocently, I open the file –thinking it would be her usual funny rebuttal, and it was a horrifying picture of a skydiver who was impaled upon a branch (coming from his rear) or log of some sort. Seriously folks, I was horrified. I think the guy was dead and the photo was gruesome.

I love her to pieces, but I am hurt that she would even resort to something so terrible. I can’t begin to think of a way to justify this….it’s not funny. Even if it was a serious gesture of “hey, this is why I don’t skydive” – she has offended me and, right now, I find it difficult to talk to her without losing my cool.

What do you think? Any similar experiences?
[:/]

You know the risk.

It's a dangerous sport - deal with it.

Actually - I think that morbid humor is a good thing in this sport - No offence to you - but Major props to your friend.;)

She probably thought you would be accepting of that kind of humor, or she was giving you a reality check - I doubt if it was completely malicious. But maybe a little >:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Get over it;) Thats not stepping over the line she just showed you what CAN happen:)

True that it can happen, but I think it was a tasteless joke. Just tell her it upset you. I am sure that you recognize that there are inherent dangers of particpating in skydiving.

That and quit pestering each other about it. I doubt she is going to convince you to quit and I doubt your going to convince her to go. I imagine it was her way of saying quit bugging me about skydiving.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I also don't understand why you think that what she did "crossed the line" with you. Weren't you both poking fun at the skydiver/whuffo relationship? It's a little funny in a morbid way. :$ Don't take it so seriously. She couldn't have been trying to hurt your feelings any more than you were trying to hurt her by making fun of the fact that she doesn't jump, which is her perogative, by the way. She's still your best friend either way, and you are hers, right?

Btw, what is "The Whuffo" movie trailer that you are talking about?

A friend who is a new skydiver was at a BASE jumping movie premier with many of us last night. Near the end of the movie, there is a carnage section (showing some BASE incidents ... some humorous ... some not) and then this morning we talked of the movie. He made comments about the carnage and I told him I thought it was appropriate to put that sort of stuff in the movie. The sooner we jumpers realize the dangers in these sports, the better prepared we will be towards dealing with them when (not if) they happen to us. Make enough jumps and some shit is going to try and jump up and bite your ass. The question remains, are you ready for it, or are you in denial.

Not a slam on you, you just need to be aware of the dangers in jumping.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Talk to her, Explain that you think what she sent was over the top.
Maybe she gets upset at you calling her a whoofo but dosent say any thing
Stand back have another look at the picture, accidents do happen
learn from it, cause if you stay in the sport sooner or later your going to
see some thing preety horrific

One thing is certain its not worth losing a "BEST FRIEND" over a picture
It's not worth losing a "BEST FRIEND" full stop. Call her up an work it out

Gone fishing

Okay guys.....I'm new, but I'm also aware that accidents do and will happen.

I just don't understand where she could be coming from - it was waaay out of character.

And of course, we'll continue to be friends, but I'm allowed to be pissed off, right?[:/]:)

I think the best way to deal with your friend is to continue to jump, make good decisions, learn as much as you can about your gear and get several hundred more jumps under your belt. I've seen huge differences with friends, family and co-workers since I started jumping. I'm sure that many of them thought I wouldn't survive. But after putting up 800+ total jumps in 27 months (not a huge figure, but not a trivial figure as well), many of the same people are starting to realize that we don't always kill ourselves out there. But the potential of death and dismemberment always exists in our sports as well as life in general.

"The greatest risk is not taking a risk at all" - from the movie Adrenaline Rush.

She probably has no idea she crossed a line. She's seen reruns of MASH where they joke about bodies, she's seen ER where they joke about patients, she might have heard you talking offhandedly about things that she finds to be inconceivable -- how can she tell what's funny and what isn't?

Consider some of the stuff that's seen on "America's Funniest Home Videos" after all -- all those hit-in-the-nuts events probably weren't as funny to the recipients.:o

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes Wendy does bring up some good points. Whuffos don't understand what we jumpers consider humor and what we consider inappropriate behavior.

Having a cartoon of 4 people wrapped in bandages, suspended from the ceiling turning points with the nurse saying they were the ones involved in the skydiving accident - Good Humor

Outside of using the carnage video as a learning tool, showing people (especially whuffos) jumping carnage video for the sake of showing it - Inappropriate Behavior

I guess this friend doesn't know what's is good taste and what's not?

Whuffos don't get it. Never haven ever will. If they had even the tiniest of clues, we would never hear about "...jumping from 'perfectly good' airplanes...".

Unlike most of the posters so far, I agree she did cross a line. The trouble is that she has no idea there is[/b ] a line to be crossed. She is so oblivious to the lack of humor in her response that she probably truly thinks it to be funny. The only thing you can do about it is to ignore any future comments on jumping and don't engage her when she prods. Other than that, just consider the true nature of a whuffo revealed.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Get over it;) Thats not stepping over the line she just showed you what CAN happen:)

True that it can happen, but I think it was a tasteless joke. Just tell her it upset you. I am sure that you recognize that there are inherent dangers of particpating in skydiving.That and quit pestering each other about it. I doubt she is going to convince you to quit and I doubt your going to convince her to go. I imagine it was her way of saying quit bugging me about skydiving.

Absolutely what I would have thought/ said too. I agree w/ this. She's just had enough. The prob. is skydivers are such a tight knit community and she doesn't realize that a recent photo may be containing a pic of a friend, i.e. the shock, she wouldn't understand that in a million years. We are like a family and it's like seeing family in that photo..

Having a cartoon of 4 people wrapped in bandages, suspended from the ceiling turning points with the nurse saying they were the ones involved in the skydiving accident - Good Humor

like my attached picture............

as for the picture sum1mom is talking about i belive it is a whole freaking tree stuck in that person if i am thinking of the right picture........ i'm pretty sure it isn't a skydivier............

like my attached picture............

as for the picture sum1mom is talking about i belive it is a whole freaking tree stuck in that person if i am thinking of the right picture........ i'm pretty sure it isn't a skydivier............

Thanks, I have been looking for that one for a long time!!

If it offended you, get out while you can. Stop jumping under the false premise that you will never either end up that way, or see someone else end up that way. Or even hear about a friend femuring in under his/her Extreme VX74.
Why is it offensive? Because it is a harsh reality picture? Maybe because she sent it to you as a response?

Question: Has your friend ever asked you what happens if both chutes malfunction? And you replied something smug like: "Well, I'll have the rest of my life to think about why."
If so, you are as offensive as her, and don't realize it.

To take the risks, you must be willing to pay the price. And don't assume you are smart enough or safe enough to never get hurt. Shit happens.

Thomas

please, someone step in and caveat my remarks....