JohnnyD

Computer Question

Clarification: The export file is sent to the client to merge my changes to their books. Since it is saved as an audio file, their QuickBooks doesn't recognize it and I look STUPID. Then they call the partners and ask them why I'm sending them audio files

After it saves the file, just right click on it, rename it and get rid of that extra F.

.AIFF
Opens with - QuickBooks (but it really won't)

No, above that in the white box - what does it say there?

EDIT: adding attachment. :D

Looks just like that except there is no specific file extension in the white box (top one you circled). Next down is the same (.AIFF) and the next down says Opens with QuickBooks.

Clarification: The export file is sent to the client to merge my changes to their books. Since it is saved as an audio file, their QuickBooks doesn't recognize it and I look STUPID. Then they call the partners and ask them why I'm sending them audio files

After it saves the file, just right click on it, rename it and get rid of that extra F.

I can change the name to anything I want. I can not change the extension.

.AIFF

Looks just like that except there is no specific file extension in the white box (top one you circled). Next down is the same (.AIFF) and the next down says Opens with QuickBooks.

Now we're getting somewhere.... Tools | Folder Options | View | and uncheck the 'hide known file extensions'

I'm guessing you don't actually have a problem :)
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

.AIFF

Now we're getting somewhere.... Tools | Folder Options | View | and uncheck the 'hide known file extensions'

I'm guessing you don't actually have a problem :)

And to Phree
It now says .AIF
The rest is the same.

And to Phree
It now says .AIF
The rest is the same.

Soooo.... what's the problem again? :D:D
It's saving it as a AIF file - just like it's supposed to.

The problem is the icon is still for an audio file and the type of file still says .AIFF. If I send it to a client, their QuickBooks will not recognize the file as a QB file.

The problem is the icon is still for an audio file and the type of file still says .AIFF. If I send it to a client, their QuickBooks will not recognize the file as a QB file.

The icon doesn't mean anything.

It has the extenion AIF, that "File Type" under properties doesn't mean anything

It is still a Quickbooks accountant's changes file

Quickbooks will still import it

If you send it to a client, and their computer doesn't recognize the AIF file as a Quickbooks file, that is their problem - there's nothing you can do about that. (Except give them my number, I fill fix it for them for a reasonable rate :D)

Tell them to open it through Quickbooks instead of trying to do it the short way and double clicking it. Its not an issue on your side, all the shit we've been telling you to do needs to be done on the client side as well.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Tell them to open it through Quickbooks instead of trying to do it the short way and double clicking it. Its not an issue on your side, all the shit we've been telling you to do needs to be done on the client side as well.

Tried that and got the "This is not a QuickBooks file" error message. I think the problem is on my end.

Tried that and got the "This is not a QuickBooks file" error message. I think the problem is on my end.

It seems like these two errors would be unrelated...if it is a quickbooks file, exported from quickbooks it shouldnt matter what the file associations are. Perhaps you both have different versions of quickbooks? Either that or the file is somehow getting damaged / changed in the process....

It seems like these two errors would be unrelated...if it is a quickbooks file, exported from quickbooks it shouldnt matter what the file associations are. Perhaps you both have different versions of quickbooks? Either that or the file is somehow getting damaged / changed in the process....

That's the problem. It's NOT a QB file. Its recognized as an audio file, and therefore, useless.

The file associations in windows only deal with how windows displays and opens the files, they should not affect the way that a file opens within another program. If you are loading quickbooks and opening the file directly from quickbooks and getting an error, it has nothing to do with windows thinking it is an audio file.

Ok, not I'm confused. What exactly is the problem? The problem is that the files are being saved with the extension .aiff instead of .aif?
That's a different issue than what everyone was trying to help you with.

Yes. When I am in QuickBooks and make an export file with the .AIF extension, it ends up being an audio file with an .AIFF extension.
Sorry to everyone if I didn't explain the problem very well.

Ok...first of all, it's not making an audio file. It's making a quick books file. It just happens to have a file extension that is also used by audio files.
I can save a text file with .aiff at the end, it won't be an audio file, it will still be a text file.
If Quick Books is saving the file with the extension .aiff, then that's what it is supposed to do.
This is not a problem. It will still open in quickbooks, you just have to set it so that quick books will open it.

The problems is with Windows and Macs having some different filetypes. *.AIFF is an Apple sound file and is associated with whatever app opens when you double-click your files. The reason that Windows thinks that your QuickBooks files are sound files is that Windows only reads the first 3 letters after the last "." to determine the filetype and associated app and icon eg. *.AIFF is considered the same as *.AIF, or *.HTML is the same as *.HTM.
So in order to fix it you will need to change the setting in whatever application that runs when you double-click the file. Post the name and someone will tell you how to change the setting and re-associate the *.AIF filetype with QuickBooks.
Edit: Mixed up my filetypes. Aiff for aif

Another thing to check when saving - make sure that the file type underneath the box where you name the file is set to "all files". Otherwise, Windows could rename the extension and try to save it as .AIFF rather than .AIF
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That's the problem. It's NOT a QB file. Its recognized as an audio file, and therefore, useless.

You don't have the problem you think you do. A file extension has nothing to do with the contents of the file. Create a new text document, type something in it. Change the extension to .wav or something, double click it, you'll get an error. Do a "Open with..." and choose notepad - there's your file with what you typed in it. If Quickbooks said 'This is not a quickbooks file' that's because there's something wrong with the data in the file. Try to export/import again.

/me walks away muttering....
dang I am screwed, all this time I thought windows used all 4 letters. hmmm...I wonder why my default action for .htm it different .html.

Sorry, but your post is just flat wrong (depending on the version of windows perhaps)

All you need, although this thread is all confused by now, is this:

On your computer:
.AIFF to have the defualt action for a media player, because that is what .AIFF files are.
This may to a degree be hampered by things like Winamp Agent, that maintain control of the file association to keep things like Real/WMP from stealing them.
.AIF to be associated with Quickbooks. However, there might be syntax switches that designate what quickbooks would do with the file, they are under the advanced options.

All that being said, in Windows XP, Open with... is easiest and works great 90% of the time.

On the 'other' computer:
You associations will not make a hill of beans. Further more, if theyare opening Quickbooks, and choosing File -> Open... and it still will not open, something is wrong with the file!! It has nothing to do with associations.
If you are emailing it you might seriously examine the MIME settings for whatever client you use.

Registry fixes, if someone wants them: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

An exception is image files with the stupidass preview option, that can only be editted at a reg level: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1207/

M$ details on associations: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307859&sd=tech
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

.AIFF

How do I do a screen grab like this?

The PrintScrn key (top right of the keyboard) copies the screen to clipboard. Then paste into an image editor. You can use the CTRL or SHIFT or Alt (can't remember which) to copy just the active window.

/me walks away muttering....
dang I am screwed, all this time I thought windows used all 4 letters. hmmm...I wonder why my default action for .htm it different .html.

Sorry, but your post is just flat wrong (depending on the version of windows perhaps)

Damn. I hate being wrong. And I was so sure, until I went and tested my theory. Sorry for BS advice.:(
Anyway,after reading the thread (always usefull) it seems that the problems is with the client. The file isprobably ok, and named properly judging by your screen grab, it's just that the clients pc is set up to associate *.AIF files with some media player. Your client is most likely just double-clicking the file in the mail application and Windows does the rest. There is nothing that you can change on your machine to stop this, just tell your client to save the file instead of running it and then use File, open or import in Quickbooks to open it.

There is nothing that you can change on your machine to stop this.

I am totally not buying that. I've been doing this successfully for two years. All of those audio files were QB files last year. There is something on my computer doing it. A windows update, something, anything. The entire purpose of using these files is so clients don't have to worry about making all my changes to their books themselves, which they always screw up anyway. The problem is on my end. I just haven't been able to find a fix for it yet.

Dude, they still ARE quickbooks files. Your computer is just interpreting the file extension and telling you what it thinks it is based on that. It has nothing to do with the actual contents of the file or what program can successfully open it.

Not much else we can tell you to explain this other than to chalk it up as a PEBCAK error. :P