JohnnyD

Computer Question

If you can actually help me with this you will get at least one jump ticket (or something).

Situation: When I am saving a QuickBooks Accountant's Export File (file extension is .AIF) my computer is somehow associating this file extension as an .AIFF file, which is an audio file. I now have a folder full of audio files which should be QuickBooks files.

go to windows explorer (Windows key + E)

go to Tools>Folder Options

Click the File Types Tab

Find your Aiff file type

click "change"

Change it to Quickbooks

Tried that - nada.

What version of windows? Hold down shift, right click on aiff file, pick "open with" from the context menu. pick your fav audio proggy
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Instead of opening with the Audio program open with Quickbooks ;)

Also go into the media player program that is associated with those files and unassociate it there. Winamp, Realplayer and a few others are really bad about letting go of files unless you do it through them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You need to change the .AIF file type, not .AIFF.

What audio application is it currently associated with? You'll probably need to go into the options for that app and change it so that it doesn't use it anymore otherwise it will try to grab back control of that file type. For instance if it is Windows Media Player. Go into Tool > Options > File typis and uncheck AIFF audio file.

What version of windows? Hold down shift, right click on aiff file, pick "open with" from the context menu. pick your fav audio proggy

Its XP. The problem is that the file isn't an audio file. I've gone so far as to remove all audio extensions from the registries and uninstall media player (IT guy did that). Still saves those QuickBooks files as audio files.

Its XP. The problem is that the file isn't an audio file. I've gone so far as to remove all audio extensions from the registries and uninstall media player (IT guy did that). Still saves those QuickBooks files as audio files.

Sorry, I had that backwards then. do that with the AIF file, and select quickbooks to open it with.

Right click the file, select Open With..., select your QuickBooks program, make sure the "Always open with this program" box is checked, hit OK. Should fix it. If not, or if it does fix it and then later it is broken again, one of your audio programs (whatever program ends up opening the file) is changing the association. If you can't change the association through that program's settings, try uninstalling and reinstalling, just be sure to uncheck the relevant boxes for file type association when you reinstall.

If that doesn't work, you can PM me (if you need to) and I will try to walk you through it.

Mike

Ok, not I'm confused. What exactly is the problem? The problem is that the files are being saved with the extension .aiff instead of .aif?

That's a different issue than what everyone was trying to help you with.

Yes. When I am in QuickBooks and make an export file with the .AIF extension, it ends up being an audio file with an .AIFF extension.

Sorry to everyone if I didn't explain the problem very well.

Ok, not I'm confused. What exactly is the problem? The problem is that the files are being saved with the extension .aiff instead of .aif?

That's a different issue than what everyone was trying to help you with.

Yes. When I am in QuickBooks and make an export file with the .AIF extension, it ends up being an audio file with an .AIFF extension.

Sorry to everyone if I didn't explain the problem very well.

Ok...first of all, it's not making an audio file. It's making a quick books file. It just happens to have a file extension that is also used by audio files.

I can save a text file with .aiff at the end, it won't be an audio file, it will still be a text file.

If Quick Books is saving the file with the extension .aiff, then that's what it is supposed to do.

This is not a problem. It will still open in quickbooks, you just have to set it so that quick books will open it.

Yeah... what Phillykev said....

Is it still saving it as filename.aif - but the icon for the file shows an AIFF?

Yes. The icon and the extension are both .AIFF

What you might have to do, is download TweakUI, there's an option to REPAIR associations and Icons.

Is it still saving it as filename.aif - but the icon for the file shows an AIFF?

Ditto. That's not an improper file association, that's QuickBooks with its head up it's ass thinking its RealPlayer. I have no idea why it would save them as the wrong filetype, my only solution to that would be to make a old DOS batch file to rename *.AIFF to *.AIF and just run that in the directory where all your QB files are, assuming that QB can properly open the .AIF filetype.

Hope that helps.

Mike

If you right-click on one of the files and select properties, it shows as filename.AIFF ? or filename.AIF ?

Ok...first of all, it's not making an audio file. It's making a quick books file. It just happens to have a file extension that is also used by audio files.

I can save a text file with .aiff at the end, it won't be an audio file, it will still be a text file.

If Quick Books is saving the file with the extension .aiff, then that's what it is supposed to do.

This is not a problem. It will still open in quickbooks, you just have to set it so that quick books will open it.

When I'm in QuickBooks and I make the export file, .AIF is the only file extension that is available. I say ok. The problem is it somehow saves as an .AIFF file that QuickBooks will no longer recognize.

Clarification: The export file is sent to the client to merge my changes to their books. Since it is saved as an audio file, their QuickBooks doesn't recognize it and I look STUPID. Then they call the partners and ask them why I'm sending them audio files.B|

If you right-click on one of the files and select properties, it shows as filename.AIFF ? or filename.AIF ?

.AIFF
Opens with - QuickBooks (but it really won't)

Yeah, I can't see Quickbooks exporting as AIFF instead of AIF... and windows isn't going to change a file extension... that's why I asked if you were sure that's the actual extension that's coming out. I'm guessing it's just showing the AIFF icon (it uses the same icon for AIF and AIFF) and that's confusing someone.