peacefuljeffrey

What "handed" are you?

I am not sure if "handedness" is linked genetically, but both my dad and my late mother are left handed, but my brother, both sisters, and I are right-handed. (We are all the biological children of said parents.)

Of all of us four kids, I am the only one who writes lefty. That and shooting pool are the only things I do lefty. (Oh, and the left is my better kitten-killin' hand. Watch out -- I'm deadly! :P) And I can shoot pool okay righty if I have a shot to make that requires it.

Which hand is dominant for you? Are you the same or different from your parents? And are you one of those people who was forced to use a certain hand because of expectations of parents, or catholic school?

Is right or left handedness supposed to be a genetic thing?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

me, I'm special, I'm a lefty.:)
My dad is also left-handed, VERY artistic guy, I at least used to be...they say left-handed people are often artistic

Well, my dad's a pianist... Mom was pretty good at drawing, and each of us kids had some drawing talent -- but our folks were lefties and we're righties. My oldest sister is an amazing artist, and it confounds me that she never did anything with it after high school. Really strange, because she had incredible talent.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Im semi ambidextrous...actually I think Im just weird.. lol....i typically write with my right hand (i cant with my left - its horrible), but at the computer I use my mouse with my left and if i need to type with one hand-its my left...i alternate eating with both hands, and i play most sports left handed (except baseball-thats right handed...well, most of the time) I reach for things with my left hand...pour drinks with my right hand but drink with my left....Although most of those things can be swtiched between hands (except the writing)...Most of the time it all depends on my mood...

I was one of those kids who picked up the crayon with there left hand and my preschool teacher took it out and put it into my right hand.....they say doing that psychologically messes with a child....I think theyre right;) itd explain an awful lot :D

*daizey*

So, if the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body...
And if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body...

Then....

Are right handed people more analytical?
And the left handed people more creative? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'm mainly right handed, in that I write with my right hand. Long guns I shoot left handed, hand guns I'm truely ambi and can't really tell a difference. I kick a ball left footed, surf/skate goofyfoot. Archery right handed. Cricket (that's baseball to you..) left handed. Cycling, left handed.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Cycling, left handed.

That's kinda funny.

For me, I'm right handed for many things, most things, but for some things I'm left handed. There's really no rhyme or reason for it, it just is.

When I learned how to play handball, it took me a while to get to where I could hit the ball with my left hand without looking like a total fucktard.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Cycling, left handed.

That's kinda funny.

:D Explanation obviously needed.

When cyclists start a sprint, they always start on one leg. If you're planing a break-away, you'll always start your sprint when they're on their "off" leg. In a sport where 1 second can win you the race over 1000's of miles - stuff like that ads up.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

:D Explanation obviously needed.

In a sport where 1 second can win you the race over 1000's of miles - stuff like that ads up.

t

Thanks for the explanation, actually.

But meh, in a sport where one second can win a race over thousands of miles, I can't really say that I think a guy who wins by one second really "won." If you can't get more than a one-second edge over a guy during the course of 1000 miles, it's my view that the two of you are almost perfectly an even match.

I can't be alone in thinking this, or that when two swimmers tap the edge of the pool .0024 seconds apart, that the first guy really "won."

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Parents: Dad's a righty, Mom's naturally a lefty but ambidextrous because her dad made her switch to being a righty.

My 2 brothers are righties, but I'm a lefty.

I married a lefty. We have a son who is a righty and a daughter who is a lefty.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

So, if the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body...
And if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body...

Then....

Are right handed people more analytical?
And the left handed people more creative? ;)

ltdiver

No, left handed people are in their right minds! :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I consider myself right handed. I write with my right hand and cannot with my left. However, I have to swing a baseball bat or golf club in a left handed manner. I also lead with my right foot and push with my left on a skateboard like a left handed person would do. I can't really consider myself fully ambidextrous because I can’t reverse myself in what I mentioned. However, I can eat pretty well with both hands. I just prefer my right.

I am primarily right handed, however I Skate/Snowboard goofy foot, Im a left handed shooter in Hockey, I can play pool either way, though slightly better righty. I can write with either hand, however from 6 years of drafting my right hand is far more defined. (left looks like dr. handwriting :ph34r:). I can eat/drink either hand, and also can type one handed either hand (I think that is more to the fact i am just a proficent typer) Mouse either hand.

Mom righty, Dad Lefty...me and Bro both righty.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

i am left-handed -- the only one in my family. My grandma was left-handed but she was forced to write with her right hand so she became ambidextrous.

Its interesting as left handed people, we have to learn to do so many things right-handed -- whether it be carrot-slicers, soup ladels, shaking hands, etc. But i never real thought about it as a kid -- you just learned to deal.

I do use my computer mouse with my right hand -- jut because it was always over on the right side.

Did anyone HATE writing as a kid? I always had ink on my left hand, and my writing was always smudged when I used erasable ink/markers. I used to put a piece of paper under my left hand so it wouldnt smudge. Also I hated the ringed part of notebooks as it was awkward with the left hand.

I'm Ambidextrous I actually have taught both hands to write... mostly for when I got bored in college classes, taking notes with alternating hands would help me stay awake in classes.

Scott

----------------------------------------------------------
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I voted ambidextrious simply because when I was young I was forced to learn to write right handed tus now my handwriting sucks either way. My turns in the air are much better left than right. I reach for things and point with my left. I believe I should have been a leftie like my brother but since my teacher wouldn't let me be a leftie I learned to adapt with most things thus becoming ambidextrious.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.