Venom1986

Aerodyne Triathlon or PD Storm ?

Hi, I wanted to order me a canopy but I can not decide.
I am currently jump a triathlon 150 from a friend.
I like this Canopy and would order them but my dealer says the PD Storm is the better Canopy.
What do you think is the better Canopy, with respect soft opening, fast Glide, fast turns and good flare ?

Many thanks and sorry for the bad englisch I`m from Germany. :$

I would tell the dealer to let me have a Storm Demo for you to try out, then you can make your own decision. You already know you like the Triathlon but you don't know about the Storm. You are spending a lot of money on a canopy so be sure you get what you want. Advice from people on here who have jumped them both is a good thing, but still not as good as jumping it yourself. Good luck with your new canopy.

demo them if possible. back in feb. i demoed a spectre and a storm within a month of each other. i would have gone with a storm but had some financial issues come up. i found the storm to have a flatter glide and more zippy in turns.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Hi Lars

As the others have already stated - you should really demo both canopies if possible in order to make a balanced decision for yourself - there could be something specific about either one of the canopies that you prefer and makes the decision for you.

However if you cannot get hold of a demo storm to try then i would go for the one that you know and like!

But i'm sure if you contact PD they will arrange a demo for you ...

Otherwise i can find you a nice X-Fun canopy to demo against that triathlon :)

I am just going out on a limb here. I have not jumped a Storm, but from what I've read, it's a higher performance canopy than the Triathlon. Whatever size Tri you're using, you would need the next size bigger in a Storm.

However, if I were you, at your experience level, it would be prudent to stick to the Triathlon for a couple hundred jumps or so.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am just going out on a limb here. I have not jumped a Storm, but from what I've read, it's a higher performance canopy than the Triathlon. Whatever size Tri you're using, you would need the next size bigger in a Storm.

However, if I were you, at your experience level, it would be prudent to stick to the Triathlon for a couple hundred jumps or so.

I would agree, and I've jumped both.

To give you another guessed opinion from someone who hasn't jumped a Storm, I bet it is going to be a nicer flying and landing canopy given its 15-odd year newer design.

PD's own chart actually shows it as acceptable for novices at 1:1 wing loading and 0.75:1 for students (although other canopies are recommended for students). Sure it'll be hot if you load it 2:1 for competition CRW, but it should be nice at lower wing loadings.

Triathlon is a nice canopy, but I needed something that opened a bit softer so I went to the Spectre. The PD web site says "lots of snivel", they are correct.. The openings are real soft.
I actually watch the snivel most of the time and on one opening recently I noticed the slider was collapsed (the packer forgot to set it). I quickly put my head down and braced myself for what I though would be a back breaker. The opening was a little more abrupt but nothing I would consider hard.
I understand the Storm has similarities but with less snivel. I agree that you should demo the different canopies out there if you can.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I would believe that the Storm is a more modern canopy and seems to have a good reputation. To be more convinced you should read more about the Storm on this web site. The Storm is known to have a very good flare, which not bad for a 7 cells canopy.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

the Storm has a lot of flare, a lot more than the Spectre or Triathalon, IMO. I nearly bought a Spectre early on and jumped a Specter 190 for a while.
The Storm opens much more quickly but is still very smooth. It can be very sporty in the turns. I only have a few jumps on a Katana 150 and opted for the Storm 150 for myself. I have around 30 jumps on the Triathalon; it's more docile by comparison,IMO.

I don't think you can go wrong with either canopy. I love my Storm but feel the Triathalon is a little less zippy. "Zippy" isn't a student canopy?

I agree with both of DSE's posts.
The Storm is an awesome canopy, but a whole different kuind of beast from the Triathlon.

Also consider that a used Storm is hard to find in a size you would be safe with. A new(er) canopy is more expensive!
If you're decided on a seven cell, try Spectre as well. However, if you're hell-bent on a Storm, get a bigger size. I've never jumped a Tri, but compared to the Spectre, the Storm is way bigger a challenge at the same WL. Be very sure you're ready for that.

Standard DZ.com disclaimers apply.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I would agree, and I've jumped both.

You know what the funny thing is? The insight I learned on this came directly from Shaun McLaughlin on a video phone call. Says you were the one who influenced him to get the proper size Storm. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You know what the funny thing is? The insight I learned on this came directly from Shaun McLaughlin on a video phone call. Says you were the one who influenced him to get the proper size Storm. ;)

Try explaining to a skydiver with balls as big as cantelopes why he shouldn't be wingloading at 1:6/7 at 200 jumps. Now add my horrific ASL skills and the difficulty in translated calls when he's excited. I'm *really* glad Shaun went up two sizes. The asshats at ____DZ telling him he could manage a 120 or even 135...weren't doing him any favors.
He handles that Storm really well. BTW, he jumped the Triathalon for a while, IIRC.

With your number of jumps, stick with the Triathlon or the Spectre. I recently went from the Spectre to the Storm and I echo what has been previously said.

I love the Storm and made the decision to switch from the Spectre after only 4 jumps, but you don't have the experience, with 41 jumps! The Storm will react very quickly, with little toggle input and you will get hurt.
Dano

I love the Storm and made the decision to switch from the Spectre after only 4 jumps, but you don't have the experience, with 41 jumps! The Storm will react very quickly, with little toggle input and you will get hurt.

What is your opinion of the storm vs the spectre?
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I had two Spectre's for a total of about 1,000 jumps. The first was a 170 and the second, a 150, with 400 jumps that I am selling. I liked them both, but was ready for a little more action.

The Storm is much more responsive and requires very little toggle input. The flair on the Storm is better and I was convinced after a long spot at SDC, over the river ,that I was able to make back to the DZ. The Specter would have left me in the river! I've got about 12 jumps on the Storm and I love it. The Storm is not for an inexperienced skydiver though. Too much toggle input on landing could be ugly.
Dano

Thanks for the info. I am considering a 2nd rig with a Storm. I'm experienced enough for anything but having a bad ankle, I sent to the Spectre from the Silhouette since the Spectre has a stronger flair. and doesn't force me to run like the former canopy did. In other words I need something that will shut down to nothing even with no wind. I also like the snivel on the Spectre which equals soft openings. I think I will order a demo and give it a try.

I jumped a demo Pulse and found it to be just like the old 9 cell PD f-111. It was very reliable, but boring. Returning to skydiving from a bad knee accident, I went to the 170 Spectre ( 1:1 ) and had nice slow landings. For more flair and fun, I later downsized to the 150. I now jump the 150 Storm and it is even better.... It's best to try them all on a hot no wind day to really see how they will perform for YOU !
Dano