jjiimmyyt

DJ John Peel no more

John Peel (British Radio DJ) passed today. He was a total legend, still playing some of the most progressive music n British radio whilst in his mid 60s.

He was with the only DJ to be there from the start of BBC Radio 1 until his death. Dance, rock, indie, rap, whatever, if it was good you probably heard it on his show first. He also was a good bloke.

Thanks John, many good memories listening to the show.

Thoughts to the 'Pig' and your kids. You'll be missed and remembered.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

He was a man that was singlehandedly responsible for some of the strangest and best moments in radio.

And a couple of years ago, playing at the Big Chill (a music festival), he played two hours of stonking gabba. Punctuated by Status Quo. Twice. Very very peverse sense of style ;)

RIP.

there's a tribute article here on the bbc website.:(

It's a sad day, John Peel was an absolute legend. It blows my mind how commited he was to new music and new bands for so long. I could always listen to his show knowing that I would hear bands I'd never heard of from genres I didn't know existed. And most of it was pretty damn good. To top it all off he was funny, engaging and never tried to be the star.

British radio shifted way more into the mainstream today.[:/]
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

A sad day for all forms of music and radio in general, known and loved for his eclectic tastes in music, anyone who can champion up and coming punk bands (SLF, Undertones) and continue to play them, interspersed with original 20s vinyl....as well as all manner of electronica, all on the same show deserves respect. Never bothered by being pigeonholed into any genre he also had a cracking show on radio 4 on a saturday morning, Home Truths, little funny stories and phone ins about family life. Radio wont be quite the same without him.

Experience is a series of non-fatal errors.

Also, Footie scores at Reading will never be the same again. I'm listening to Teenage Kicks on repeat for the next 24 hrs.

My father was actually the one who told me about his death, he also appreciated his talents as a TV presenter and Radio 4 regular.

:( Sad, sad day.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

His contribution to the evolution of music shuld not be underestimated. Bands like the Undertones, the Clash, The Sex Pistols, Joy Division, and many many more may never have made it without John's patronage. He's responsible for teh commercial introduction of other genre's such as Reggae, rap, and of course Punk into mainstream broadcasting.

He is already sorely missed.

RIP John.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

...It's a sad day, John Peel was an absolute legend. It blows my mind how commited he was to new music and new bands for so long....

I listened to John in the 70's while in Europe....rarely missed his slot and remember him with affection and appreciation for what he was doing...

So long, John...may the records keep on spinning.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I grew up musically listening to John Peel, from the Pirate Radio days (either Caroline or London, I can't remember) through Radio 1. John was the anti-Tony Blackburn. He introduced Captain Beefheart when I saw him at The Royal Albert Hall, and was responsible for some of the most amazing live sessions at the BBC. RIP John
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

It was announced today that Michael Eavis; promotor of Glastonbury, will be renaming one of the arenas 'The John Peel Stage' playing new, unsigned bands, as a tribute to the great man. I was saddened to hear of his death. :( I listened to his show every evening, and after many years you almost feel as if you knew him personally. No other DJ will ever be able to follow in his footsteps.

Rest in Peace John, your legend will live on forever.

I was so shocked to hear about this. Although he was 65 he still seemed so young. Loved his "home truths" on Radio 4, and the way he brought punk to the forefront in a time when many labelled it a "fad". He was a a man who made his own rules, and had a wicked sense of humour in his work. As previously stated, but not enough, the man was a legend.

John Peel (British Radio DJ) passed today. He was a total legend, still playing some of the most progressive music n British radio whilst in his mid 60s.

He is absolutely irreplaceable. I've been sad every time that I think about it. A truly decent man.

One of the happiest and proudest moments of my life was when he called me and invited me and my band to go and record a session for him at the BBC. It was the start of a whole new life of professional musicianship for me.

I remember once calling him while he was on the air, and he put on a long album track so we could catch up on things. This was on national radio.

I played live with him a number of time, and if he thought the local support band was good, he'd give them his appearance fee.

A true gentleman and a great loss.

R.I.P John, you'll be missed more than you know.

I just realized that Dr. John Peel was a DJ on radio station WRR in Dallas in 1961. He went by the name of John Ravenscroft and co hosted a blues show called Kats Karavan. He was highly a highly sought after consultant to most rock and roll radio stations in Dallas when the Beatles became a big thing here due to his "Britishness".

Man, that guy was around for donkey's years.:o
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Rip John. Just to let you folks in on another radio legend. When I was in chicago a couple of months ago I heard that former WLS DJ Dick Biondi is still doing a radio show on the ARROW from Navy Peer on Saturday nights. The guy must be at least 80 already.

Chris