Viking

How much should i sell my Alto Sax for?

I'm trying to sell my alto sax but I havn't got a damn clue how much to ask for. Its an old Bundy II Alto thats been sitting up in my closet for since i moved here. I got the thing when i was in grade school. Please help!!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Then freak'n get lessons and try!

It isn't too hard to play an alto, although it is hard to play it really well, it takes years of practice. I think that's why I'm so into playing trumpet, because I've been playing it for a very long time (over 13 years) and I still can't play it exactly like I want to and I still can't play it like my trumpet idols (Maynard Ferguson and Scott Englebright).

The challenge is what makes it worth it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

no dude you don't understand, i can't read a single line of music, i was forced to do it for four years in grade school and i still didn't understand that stuff. I'd rather sell it and use that money for other things.

I'm gonna keep bugg'n you since I'm a music lover and have a really hard time understanding it when others aren't into music as much.:P

As for the value, if the pads are shot and the cork is shot, then the price of the sax just dropped quite a bit. Same with tarnish and dents/dings/scratches.

Bundy's are basic student model instruments. If in excellent condition, shoot for $250ish. Make sure it is in great shape though, pads/cork still good, etc.

You could always donate it to a local school, music programs are so incredibly underfunded, it would be a big help. The oboe and tenor sax that I played in HS were both donated. Never would have been able to learn either without someone's generosity.

I have 2 clarinets (1 bundy, one quasi professional wooden model) and a tenor sax. I still play occasionally, until my face feels like it is going to fall off (about 15 minutes :S), but will never sell them. Lots of memories and if my kids ever decide to take up music, it'll save me a fortune.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Ya the only problems it has are some scratchs on the back where the neck sling attachs and a small dent. The pads and cork are in excellent condition.

Ah...how many times I've thought about selling my trombones. Back when I was trying to find the money to buy my kayak...

and then a new road bike...

and then my scuba gear...

and now a rig...

I don't think I can let myself do it though. Even though not one of them has come out of a case since I played my graduation recital I'm sure someday down the road it will be good to have, even if it is just to get together with old friends that also quit to see just how bad we can sound together!
Killing threads since 2004.

If you don't really need the money, donate it to a school where they can loan it out to a kid who can't afford an instrument.

Otherwise, a lot of music stores deal in used instruments, many on a consignment basis... you leave the sax with them, they sell it for you at the best price they can, and take a 10% cut.

I really do need the money, i'm broke and between jobs right now.

I took it to a local store and the guy was very honest with me and advised me to sell it to a private party b/c all he could give me for it was $120ish and i could probly get $350 for it.

no offense, but if it has been sitting in a closet for a while, the corks are dry and the pads probably need replaced. gross, but moths get in there.

a bundy is a student model, I'd say $200 is good, since whoever buys it will probably have to have it overhauled (new corks/pads, oil/springs).

I sold my clarinet about a year ago. Got $700 for it, but it was a professional custom one with gig bags, music, reed making stuff. The instrument itself was over 1200 when new.

Sucks dealing with depreciation!! [:/]

__

Donate it to a non-profit. I used to play in a community group that its non-profit status. You can write it off on your taxes for much more than you would get from a private party.

I used to play alto - and had a student model yamaha into college. I took very good care of it and couldn't get $100 for it - mouthpiece, ligature, reeds and molded hard case.

Best of luck - but dono't expect much.

Jen
Arianna Frances

hey man...pm me with a pic...I have played for 11 years and may be able to help you out if I can see the condition..

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

ya know I was thinking... if you want to get rid of it the best way and smartest way would be to contact a school in your local area and see if there is a student that needs an instrument. Nothing better than to sell it to someone that could be the next kenny G....;)

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Nothing better than to sell it to someone that could be the next kenny G....

Thank god its not a soprano sax, we've had more then enough crap from Kenny G to scar our grandkids!

rotflmao... you dont see to many student soprano saxs.... or bass saxs for that matter... but if anyone happens to have/see a bass sax (not baritone) for sale PM me ASAP.. B|