antonija

Reserve and main sizing

Here's the thing: I'm planning tu buy Vector 3M V348 size which can hold 150-170 main and PD160, Icarus Reserve 169 or R-Max 168 (and smaller but I want bigger :p).

Comparing these 3 reserves: Do they actually differ in size? Is Icarus bigger than R-max, and R-max bigger than PD? I read somewhere that reserves are usually bigger than stated.

I currently jump 7 cell 170 main at WL 1.35. If I was under 160sqft canopy that would make WL 1.44. I've never flown a canopy loaded that high.

So this is my dilemma: Is V348 (which can hold proper sized main for my weight and smallish reserve) good choice? I will most likely downsize to 150 on the same container, so I'd like the option to put 150 main in it safely.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I have no way to judge whether such WL would be appropriate for you, but I have two remarks:

Please do not talk yourself into getting a small reserve by using the so-called 'differences in measuring methods' as an excuse; a 169 is a 169, period. If you want a bigger reserve, get a bigger reserve.:)
Ask yourself this: What if you get your 'smallish' reserve out at 1000 feet after a high-speed mal and subsequently have to land off in less than ideal conditions? It's your last chance to survive. Not the best of times to find out whether you really can handle such a high WL. :o

My two eurocents.

Flame away.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

So now that we've established that jumping 160 reserve is not the best idea ever... riddle me this:

When you check container manufacturers website for sizing info you usually find following combination for main/reserve:
- Sunpath:
J3K ZP up to 170/160 reserve
- UPT:
V348 ZP up to 170/160 reserve
- Mirage:
M3 ZP up to 170/PDR 160
M4 ZP up to 190 (only few models)/PDR 160

(Bigger Optimums are not TSO'd yet so we'll leave them out)

Either these guys building fine containers don't know that people who jump 170 and plan to downsize to 150 would like to have reserve bigger than 160sqft even exist (not very likely) or I'm doing this very very wrong...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Unfortunately you're right: Most container manufacturers keep the reserve container sized in proportion to the main container, which forces jumpers who want a small main to have a small reserve. I see a fair number of jumpers using reserves which are loaded well beyond the manufacturer's recommended maximum weight. Not a good idea for many reasons.

The only container manufacturer that I know of which sizes the main and reserve containers pretty much independently is UPT (Vector and Micron). Are there others?

The other approach is to use a low-bulk reserve like the Optimum or Speed 2000.

In some cases both approaches may be necessary to get a combination that makes for an exciting main and a truly safe reserve.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Since optimums are not available yet and Aerodynes new low bulk reserve is still shrouded in mystery the only other way is Speed 2000. Does anyone have experience with packing Speed 2000 into Vector 3M V348? What is the biggest size that you can safely pack in there?

The only container manufacturer that I know of which sizes the main and reserve containers pretty much independently is UPT (Vector and Micron). Are there others?

UPT does NOT do this. VSE (Infinity) and Jumpshack do. Possibly Sunrise Rigging. Mirage has a couple of small main/bigger reserve options.

You don't have to put the biggest canopies, main or reserve, in a container that they may take. You AND your rigger will thank you if you DON'T put the biggest quoted canopies in a rig. AND they MAY NOT FIT!

Any individual canopy may be 10% bigger or smaller than normal. And any individual container may be bigger or smaller than normal. So if you happen to get a 'big' canopy and a 'small' container they may never go together. I've seen this a number of times. The SAME nominal combination of reserve and container may not fit when another set has. If you push the limits, don't be surprised if you rigger says it won't go.

So pick your reserve size, consider your main size(s) and and then pick a container that will handle them both comfortably. The container size is the LAST thing to choose, not the first.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

In that case I'd like 170 main with option to downsize to 150 and at least 170 reserve. I also really like Vectors so if you can muster up a size that fits these requirements...

Not if they don't make it. But the attached claims they do. I'll let you figure it out.;) Stay with standard fitting as the biggest. And which 170 reserve and which 170 main? It makes a difference. Smarts pack up huge. PD pack up big because they are measured (area) differently and other pack up small.

Nine cell main, 7 cell main, crossbraced, zp or not? It all matters... some.

For an idea of relative sizes you can use http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TSDocuments/TS-104CanopyVolume.pdf

All canopies measured by the same person using the same equipment. Again, individual canopies vary.

And it depends on which reserve if 170 is big enough.

Looks like you have a choice of wide and thin or narrow and thick.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>The only container manufacturer that I know of which sizes the main and
>reserve containers pretty much independently is UPT (Vector and Micron).
>Are there others?

Mirage has a few. I have an M1Z which takes reserves to 143 and mains to 109. They also have an M3X which takes reserves to 160 and mains to 120, but nothing bigger than that.

Container for small rockets usually come in different reserve sizes. It's only the "conventional" sizes that come in one size fits all :(

Since optimums are not available yet and Aerodynes new low bulk reserve is still shrouded in mystery the only other way is Speed 2000. Does anyone have experience with packing Speed 2000 into Vector 3M V348? What is the biggest size that you can safely pack in there?

Speed 170 will fit but will be soft(normal fit)If you rigger is good reserve packer He might be able to put 190 .I can pack Speed 135 into my Mirage G4 MXS 1/2 made for PDR 113
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen