Gory

Jumping in Europe

Hi everyone,

I am graduating in December and will be moving back home to Europe, so I will be continuing to skydive there. Now, I purchased some, and will purchase the rest of my gear within the next few weeks. My question is, are there any gear restrictions in Europe? Ie: Someone told me that one country does not allow Vigil as an AAD? The person was not more specific than that.
I am wondering, in genera, are there any restrictions that anyone is familiar with as far as jumping in Europe?

Thanks,
Gory
"Nothing in this world worth having, comes easy"

Every country has different rules, but in general, if your equipment is approved in the country you got your license in, you should be able to jump it.
As far as Italy is concerned, the above applies, and AADs are not compulsory (though some DZs require you have one - any of the major brands).

Give'em a call :-)

if i'm not mistaken, only cypres allowed.. ;)

well you are mistaken then... Vigil 2 is OK, FXC12000 is OK, Astra is OK, I guess MPAAD is OK, and maybe Argus also (maybe not on all equipments)

If I am not mistaken, Vigil 1 is not allowed (but I'm not sure)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

well you are mistaken then... Vigil 2 is OK, FXC12000 is OK, Astra is OK, I guess MPAAD is OK, and maybe Argus also (maybe not on all equipments)

The Vigil 1 is banned in France, the Vigil 2 is Ok as long as it complies with the cutter replacement bulletin issued last year. some of the major dropzones have AADs as mandatory e.g Empuria
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

at least i knew there was some sort of restriction..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Thank you all!
Just to clear things up, I am well aware that Europe is not a country, since I am from Europe, the beautiful country of Croatia ;) The reason why I have not stated that is because I am planing to jump around the countries in Europe, and was interested in general restrictions; if I stated only Croatia I would get info on only Croatia. Like this, I got info on plenty of other places, ex: In all Spain you need AAD, or in France you can't use Vigil unless the cutter is metal, etc...
Anyway,
thank you all for the help. All of the info you gave me it's going to help me in my future endeavors.

Thanks,
Blueskies,
Gory

"Nothing in this world worth having, comes easy"

and maybe Argus also (maybe not on all equipments)

Argus is in the whole of Europe allowed and without any restrictions.

Warm regards,
William

dont know where you got that quote from, but anyway.. :S
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

dont know where you got that quote from, but anyway.. :S

What do you want to say? That he don't know what he is talking about?

http://www.argus-aad.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=31

i really like the course of this forum, either selective quoting, or "quoting" not actual quotes. or quoting in another posters name like in this case!

i have never said anything about argus, nor about the qualification of said poster.. :S
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Thank you all!
Just to clear things up, I am well aware that Europe is not a country, since I am from Europe, the beautiful country of Croatia ;) The reason why I have not stated that is because I am planing to jump around the countries in Europe, and was interested in general restrictions; if I stated only Croatia I would get info on only Croatia. Like this, I got info on plenty of other places, ex: In all Spain you need AAD, or in France you can't use Vigil unless the cutter is metal, etc...
Anyway,
thank you all for the help. All of the info you gave me it's going to help me in my future endeavors.

Thanks,
Blueskies,
Gory

Well I for sure can tell you that AADs (for sport jumpers) are not required in Croatia. AADs are not required for students on static line either (which was one of the factors in fatality a couple of months ago).

Bring all of your licenses and papers for gear. Have an AAD. And you are good to go. At least in south-east part of the continent.
dudeist skydiver #42

I'll pitch in for British restrictions only.

You must wear some kind of helmet, a knife and an altimeter.

At some DZs you must have some kind of AAD, but I'd estimate that at most of them it's still optional. I know of one DZ that banned the Vigil 1, but that ban has since been lifted. Not sure whether any DZs have ongoing bans on particular models.

Depending where you are, some countries use lead seals on reserves, others dont. We lived in the UK and always asked for the rigger to put one on (even if its not a standard practice or required in the UK). Makes traveling to places that do want it easier. Might be something to keep in mind!
Remster

Germany and Belgium: You should be fine with your USPA licence there.

Netherlands: As skydiver with few jumps you might not be allowed to jump a canopy under a certain size.

Ukrain should be OK as well as I got to know it in Borodianka.

If you do not have an A-Licence, I can only talk about Germany:
You would have to sign in as student at a dropzone and can continue your progression there. You might have to do a check jump with an AFF Instructor before jumping solo.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Also for the UK you must either join the BPA (not always the cheapest option, but you can do temporary membership) or if you are not a UK national, you must prove that you have 3rd party insurance up to either £2m or £5m - I can't remember which.

USPA licence would be valid, but it's insurance would not. Other European countries may accept USPA membership for insurance.

Blue skies

Paul

Any kind of AAD's is allowed in Europe provided you complied with the manufacturer's directives about their products just like any parachute rigs. In France Vigil II including the type 3 cutter is not a problem. Elsewhere Vigil I are OK provided you have the type 3 cutter. This is what was requiring Advanced Aerospace Designs the Vigil manufacturer. Your rigger should be aware of this since he/she should received the Technical Bulletins from USPA or CSPA or else.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.