skymama

Video Games and Kids

I just saw a report on ABC news about kids who play violent video games and whose fault is it; the game makers, the stores for not enforcing the ratings or the parents. Get a clue, people, it's the parents! :S

One woman was interviewed about an M rating video her son has and she said, "well, he bought it with his own money, but now I want to return it." Lady, get a backbone. You tell your son what ratings are acceptable for him to play and don't let it in your house. If he buys it anyway, you take it away and tell him that you're so sorry that he wasted his money. It's a no-brainer!

I took my son to the store so he could point out the games he wanted for Christmas. He pointed to "Grand Theft Auto" and said that he'd like that one but he knows I won't let him have it. Then, he moved onto about 10 other titles that he would like that were perfectly acceptable to both of us. Parents and future parents, it's not going to kill your kids if you tell them NO every once in awhile.

Argh...parents these days! :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Bullshit like that didn't fly in my house growing up. I did a lot that I wanted to do, especially as I got older, but I *still* don't watch violent TV or TV with strong language when I'm at their house.

If folks want the government to raise their kids for them and the TV to be the baby sitter in the mean time, they should really really get a swift kick to the head for having children.

Then again, I'm a couple of years out from having children of my own, so as of now its just my uninformed opinion.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If he buys it anyway, you take it away and tell him that you're so sorry that he wasted his money. It's a no-brainer!

Well, that kid might sue you and "divorce" his parents. :D:D:D

Laws these days :P

>"Grand Theft Auto"

I learned so many useful life skills from that game that I think its a shame you won't let him have it. :([:/]

That game taught me valuable math skills by having to keep a running tally of how many bullets I had left in each gun in my arsanal. Where else can he learn that at?Where else can he learn that its far better to out run the cops on empty side streets and not on the busy streets? Where else is he going to learn that you can screw a prostitute (and gain health points) then shoot her and take your money back?!?! :D:P
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>"Grand Theft Auto"

I learned so many useful life skills from that game that I think its a shame you won't let him have it. :([:/]

where else can you safely get your BASE number ???

Actually has anyone found an E exit ???:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I guess you'd have to have played the game to really know what I'm talking about. Basically if you rode a scooter like that in real life, you'd be dead within 10 minutes. So it was a joke.;)

It's about letting the kids have a little freedom or they may go nuts when set free.

From my own life experience thus far I would agree with you, to a point.

For instance, I was raised in a VERY religious family, where drinking, even just a little bit (like champagne at a wedding) was EVIL and you would go to hell.

What happened when I went to college? I became an acoholic and its only been within the past 2 years I've shaken it off and can drink socially without getting really really drunk or even go out with friends and not drink at all.

Moral of the story, my children will see my future wife and I drink and drink responsibly. Let them know its ok, but moderation is key to health and success.

I don't think it's the parent's fault, or the video game makers, or anyone but the damn kids themselves. If Johnny wants to go cap someone, seeing a video game where they cap people is not going to make him do it more. If it gives him the idea, it's not the parent's fault. It's Johnny's fault. It's his parent's fault for not recognizing this disturbing behavior and correcting it.

That's nice that you prevent him from getting a game, but do you really think that's going to keep your son from capping people or whatever bad thing you can thing of from happening ? If Little Johnny wants to cap someone, he's going to do it. If you told me I couldn't have a game, I would try that much harder to play it at a friends house or something else.

I think that some kids are just mentally disturbed, and the Parent's can only do so much.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

There is a lot of the stuff out there today is just really inappropriate for young kids. I remember when I was little playing games like Punch Out. It was fun to see what would happen when you would hit various characters in different places. That has morphed into various sport and RPGs where the violence is no longer cute and quirky, but gross and way over the top. I know my husband has a bunch of codes for his PS2 sporting games where you can do "unnecessary damage" to other players. He thinks it's funny. I know when I'm in a foul mood I love to watch really violent thrillers, action, horror or Kung Fu movies -- the darker the better! Somehow watching them helps me cool my jets and get rid of a lot of unrepressed rage. (Some days things at work just really tick me off.) Maybe violent video games are the same for other people...but they certainly aren't for the very young.

My biggest complaint about video games is using them as a pacifier. My nephew is a complete bore due in large part to the fact that he's been plugged into a Gameboy since he was old enough to hold one. He's now nine and still can't sit in a restaurant and carry on a conversation...so he gets plugged in and becomes completely unresponsive. He won't even eat.

I’m not one to talk. Video games can render me vegetative as well. My husband just got me an old Nintendo 64 and a bunch of games including Zelda and Dr. Mario. He knows RPGs and puzzle games are my favorites. I’ve lost nearly every evening for the last two weeks playing Zelda after work. I was like this with all of the Tomb Raider games, too. They’re just too fun…and addictive. I’ve literally had to unplug the machine and give it to my husband to hide from me until after the Holidays. How sad. :$

I love first person shooting games. The problem, Andrea, is, as you said, parenting. (overuse of commas, jp)

Everybody has said, at one time or another, " I would love to just punch that idiot in the mouth" (or some other violent acting out.

Violent video games are a fun outlet for that frustration. It needs to be in that context, though. "This is fantasy".

There are so many "over the shoulder" parents out there, who put their schedules and lives ahead of their children's, that some of those kids may not have the necessary perspective.

It's about letting the kids have a little freedom or they may go nuts when set free.

Some things are just not appropriate for children. The news program I was watching said the average age of video game players is 29. There are a lot of things a 29 year old does that a 13 year old shouldn't be privy to. If you allow children to play "mature" video games, watch R rated movies, listen to foul lyrics in music, cuss in front of them, etc., it desentisizes them into believing that the behaviors they see are acceptable. If they see all that when they are 13, what's left to experience as they get older? Worse things, scary things, things that are illegal or could get you sent to jail or even killed.

Let children be children, there's no reason to push them into adulthood before they are emotionally and intellectually ready for it.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Damn my parents for letting me play PONG and Space Invaders

I didn't say he can't play the games, just the "M" ones...yet. :P