ChasingBlueSky

Car Audio Question

I have a stock 2003 Dodge radio in my car and would like to find a better way to play my MP3 player thru it.

It came with a Belkin FM Transmitter that only broadcasts at 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 and 88.7 FM. Chicago has most of the FM band taken up so the music is often full of static from the stations in the area - location in the car doesn't seem to matter. I saw Belkin has another one that comes with a car charger and can broadcast on any FM channel, but the reviews on it make it sound like more of the same.

Is there anything post-market that I can do with a stock radio (I don't think it has an AUX IN) to connect an MP3 player to my car? Changing the head unit is not an option I want to consider right now.

Like Remi said, casette or FM is your only option if you don't have an AUX-in on your deck.

Of course, just as an FYI, running MP3 through FM or casette input is going to degrade the sound.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Like Remi said, casette or FM is your only option if you don't have an AUX-in on your deck.

Of course, just as an FYI, running MP3 through FM or casette input is going to degrade the sound.

Just the CD Deck, no casette.

Didn't there used to be a better FM transmitter you could get for CD Changers mounted in your trunk? I remember a friend in college had perfect sound with the FM Transmitter/controller that sat between his seats.

Didn't there used to be a better FM transmitter you could get for CD Changers mounted in your trunk?

Yes, and you can still get those. You're going to pay $40 - $60 for a good one though - they aren't the $15 things you plug into a cig lighter.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Yes, and you can still get those. You're going to pay $40 - $60 for a good one though - they aren't the $15 things you plug into a cig lighter.

Exactly. The difference is that the ones that come with the CD-changers goes in-line with your antenna. You unplug your antenna from the radio, plug it into the RF box for the changer, the plug a line from the RF box into the antenna jack on the radio.

Honestly though, you might want to see about getting a better transmitter than the Belkin as I've heard they're garbage. My nephew has had great luck with the iRock 400FM transmitter he uses with his iPod.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Didn't there used to be a better FM transmitter you could get for CD Changers mounted in your trunk?

That is still cheaper than a good head unit and additional parts needed to make the installation look good. From what I have been told, I would need a double din and even that would still look ugly.

Does Crutchfeld sell those units? I know my sister and brother in law were looking for xmas gift ideas - this would be perfect from the two of them.

The best sound would come with a new stereo. Maybe an Alpine or Pioneer they both are capable of Auxilary inputs thru line level. This will give you the best sound quality. It really isn't a big deal to change the stereo. I own a car stereo shop & the Dodge is one of the easier vehicles to swap out a stereo. Crutchfield is the best online support & can answer all your questions along with supplying you with the needed parts. Give them a call.... The wired FM modulator works good, however changing your stereo will give you a much superior sound than the factory Dodge stereo

Know of any stock cars that already have the line input? I have an iPod and I have the same problem....I also am kicking around the idea of getting a new car as mine is at 100,000 miles.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You don’t necessarily need a double din stereo. You could just spend $5 on a blanking plate, or storage tray. If Dodge doesn’t do one for your specific car there will be loads of different generic ones available. Or you could have a friend make one from scratch – all you’d need is a section of aluminium or whatever would match your car’s interior.

See these ebay items for examples. OK they're over in the UK, but I'd bet you could find the same thing locally.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498&item=5734769502&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498&item=5735448632&rd=1

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-p5nN9aO2Fz8/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=500KCA420I

I changed my head unit about a week before this came in :( - i have just a standard line in but this would be by far the best way to do it. Certainly in the UK line in on a stock radio is very unusual (unless of course you have a jag or something with a top of the range blaupunkt anyway!)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Don't you love it when people don't listen to a damn thing you say and then tell you what you should do? :D

Crutchfield FM Modulators

EDIT: What car do you have? I don't think I've ever seen something that had to be a double din... whoever told you that may be on crack.

EDIT: What car do you have? I don't think I've ever seen something that had to be a double din... whoever told you that may be on crack.

A Neon - which is why I don't want to invest too much in upgrading the stereo system. My plan is to get rid of it within a year or year and a half. (going to get a Prius or similar gas friendly car)

ok i dont want to start another thread so i'll just put my question here

I just got a Sirius satelite radio, and it has a set of RCA cables that are supposed to hook up to the AUX audio, but my stock deck dosent have an AUX audio. Now is there any way around that? I was maybe thinking of splicing the RCA cables right into the speaker wires?
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

>(going to get a Prius or similar gas friendly car)

Cool things about the Prius audio system:

1. Controls on steering wheel
2. Will take an XM radio plugin
3. If you have a Bluetooth headset for your iPod or whatever, the car will receive the Bluetooth signal and play it over the car's speakers.

>(going to get a Prius or similar gas friendly car)

Cool things about the Prius audio system:

1. Controls on steering wheel
2. Will take an XM radio plugin
3. If you have a Bluetooth headset for your iPod or whatever, the car will receive the Bluetooth signal and play it over the car's speakers.

Yup, those are some of the reasons I like the car. I've taken it for a test drive a few times now and want the one with the full option package. (with XM radio and my MP3 DJ I would never have to worry about commercials again!)

If you have a Bluetooth headset for your iPod or whatever, the car will receive the Bluetooth signal and play it over the car's speakers.

Interesting... I have a bluetooth enabled phone - that would rock.

so from what im getting for the site is that all you have to plug into your deck from the FM modulator is the antenna plug.....correct?? then i would plug my RCA cables from the sat radio into the FM mod....is that right?
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

so from what im getting for the site is that all you have to plug into your deck from the FM modulator is the antenna plug.....correct?? then i would plug my RCA cables from the sat radio into the FM mod....is that right?

Pretty much. That and power should be all you need.

If so, the car has a microphone (and a dialer on the screen) so you can do mostly hands-free operation. You can answer the phone via a button on the steering wheel, and can voice dial.

I already pretty much do that, I just have to wear the geeky ear-piece all the time (voice activated dialing, answer/hang up on the ear piece) -- I'd just like it to mute the stereo when it's ringing and hear the caller over the speakers. The mic in the phone should be good enough if it's mounted on the dash - it actually does a pretty good impression of a speakerphone on its own.