Vallerina

Big-way camp at Perris

First of all I just wanted to say, "Thanks," to Dan, Kate, Larry and Tony for all of their time and energy that went into making this camp great. This was one of the best skydiving experiences I've had in my short career, and I really appreciate how much they taught me.

The first day of the camp, we were flooded out, and they gave us the option of using the money that was allotted for our jumps for that day for tunnel time!!! eeneR, Remster, Karen and I jumped on that opportunity! It's just not everyday that you don't have to spend money and get coaching by Dan BC! Dan is an extremely generous person in sharing his knowledge. I know he's a busy man with lots of things to do, but he graciously spent time coaching the big-way camp participants in the tunnel on our off day. I felt kind of guilty being happy that we had a bad weather day! After the tunnel, Lori (ltdiver) asked us if we wanted a tour of the DC9. My response: YES!!!!! Wow! We were given a full tour of the aircraft while hearing all about the process of getting jumpers to skydive from it! We ended the first day dirt diving for our jumps for the following day. For being a "bad" weather day, I learned so much, and there was stuff that I even missed out on (the seminars)!

Larry Henderson was my fearless leader for our first full day of jumping. Larry has such an amazing ability to calm people and make everyone feel great. He is such a nice man, and he does a great job of being positive about the jumps. I learned so much from him just within the first few jumps. They really do throw people in just about every slot they can! I was in the base!!! Karen (Remster's stunning wife) and I were too fast for the big boys, and they floated on us! Never say that women can't fall fast enough to make a good base! Throughout all of this, I learned the importance of being a skydiver that can truly fly any slot. I also learned that the people around you in a skydive aren't always going to do what they "should," and that being a great skydiver means that you can deal with what's thrown at you...whether it's someone blocking the door....someone backsliding while docked on your leg...etc.

The third day of the camp, I jumped with Larry again, and I finally got to jump with someone I've been admiring from afar for a long time: THE Kate Cooper! It was definitely an honor to meet her and jump with her because she's so darn inspiring. She is incredibly bright and "on top of things." She has an incredible way of being direct while still exuding so much positive energy. That day, we split in to two 36-ways. Once again, I learned such a huge amount in just a few jumps. I learned more about approaching the formation straight on, and I learned more about flying my canopy in more traffic.

That night was the Halloween party! That was way too much fun even though I didn't win "Sexiest Costume"! Just because I break things and do the knee, I'm not sexy! I got to hang out with Tony that night, and he's my cheese. Tony is a really nice guy, and he made us feel very welcomed from the first day. He took time out of his busy schedule to sit down and critique our tunnel video with us. Unfortunately, he's not jumping yet, but he did a lot of work to make sure that everyone was learning and having fun!

The last day of the camp was the 72-way attempts. We tried four times but never quite got it. I didn't get to touch Jayruss in the sky! :( Actually, I didn't get to touch anyone that day! :D Another thing that I learned from this camp is filtering out good and bad advice. Obviously, four organizers aren't available all the time to 70-something people. Jason gave me some tips here and there, and I knew I could take his advice on some things (not the bit about pestering others, though. :P) I was nervous before going up for the 72-way attempt. I was on the outside, so I knew I'd have to do a lot of waiting, and I'd have to track well and for a long long time. I was also nervous about how chaotic it would be. Spotting my slot out of a mess of 70-something people, I wasn't sure if I could do it well enough. One of the coolest things about this large formation was that billvon was on my plane. Bill showed me how to do just a basic four-way a few years ago when I was the worst skydiver everywhere. I just thought it was neat that someone who taught me some of the basics of rw was on my first really big-way!

Once again, I had an amazing time at the camp. I loved how I was able to learn so much without being overwhelmed by information. It really "sunk in" since that large amount of information was given to us over time. The organizers are just awesome. They are great teachers, and they are just so enjoyable to be around, too. I was sad to leave and be at home now. I loved how such a large group of people bonded so tightly. It took me forever to leave because I had to give so many hugs before leaving! I wish I could've taken everyone home with me!

It was also great meeting Remster, Karen, Steve (Canuck278), Jayruss, and I'm sure lots of other people that I'm forgetting. It was non-stop laughs, and I had so much fun with you guys. It was also great of eeneR and Steve to cart my booty all around this weekend! Thanks so much guys!

If you are contemplating going to this camp, GO! If you meet the requirements to go and learn more about big-ways, I highly recommend it. The only complaint about it is that it didn't last longer. I could've done that for another few days!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I did get on the last day of the jumps but had the best time off my jumping life. the tunel time was the best thing to add to the camp. I so they on the next camp in may
----------------------------------------------
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you. J. R. T.

I read your report with interest, as I had been planning to attend this camp until a work conflict got in the way. I'm glad it worked out so well despite the initial bad weather. I hope they don't wait too long to schedule another one. Dan B-C ran an Airspeed camp I attended and he is great at bringing out the best in every jumper.

It was also great meeting Remster

Oh, don't say that! He's going to figure out that we really do like him, and then his ego is going to get so inflated he'll be terrible to put up with! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That was a fun day (Sunday.) I weaseled onto the dives on Sunday and got tacked on to the end. As Kate put it, "sorry, but you're going to get some sucky slot far on the outside somewhere." So I ended up as last out of the right trail, on one of the outside wackers. The view from the cockpit was great.

We made four jumps and, like Val, I hadn't touched anyone by the end of the fourth one. As we were getting ready for the fifth one Kate came up and asked "so, wanna take one for the team?" "Sure," I said, and wound up in the base. Hey, at least I was gonna get to touch someone!

Kate and company launched the base and I joined it, now in my tight suit and 8 pounds of lead. After about ten seconds I started to get an odd feeling of impending doom - it might have been Dan BC staring up over my back with his eyes wide. Then the errant zipper guy landed on me and did his best to take me out, but somehow I did the funnel-dance with my feet and managed to stay in the base. It was fun watching everyone else hovering around us, hoping against hope that the now-low zipper guy would make his way back in. Never happened, and we landed without building very much of the dive.

But it was a fun weekend, and it was great to see so many people so excited about big-ways. These are the people who will go on in a few years to set the next bigway world records; it won't just be a motley collection of us old guys at the next World Team events.

"sorry, but you're going to get some sucky slot far on the outside somewhere."

So, what's the non-sucky slot? :D

It was great hanging out with you and Amy! :)

I bet someone else got to pack your rig too.

I feel like I cheated :$

Val, it was so great to finally meet you and Renee!

Yes! It was great meeting you, too! :)
I wanna go back!!!!

That was FUN! Thanks to all of you for jumping, to Perris and it surroundings for landing opportunities:P, to Elsinore for the plane, to the organizers for organizing, to Twix and Kitkat for chocolate support on the way to altitude and to all the things I forgot (hypoxias long term results:$)
For those who didn't get the website due to my German accent;):
The pictures I took will be posted at www.flyingarab.com in (hopefully) 2 to 3 weeks from now.
blue skies
Markus
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

It was great meeting you! I can't wait to see your pictures! You were all over the place with your camera! :)
Okay, time for some pictures:
Pretty pic of the airport
Our tunnel group
Me and Dan
eeneR in the tunnel
eeneR in the tunnel again
Me in the tunnel
Me in the tunnel again
Me chasing Dan's butt in the tunnel
Mmm...DC-9
Inside the DC 9
Dz.commers!!!

Oh! There's another GREAT picture that about half of you would like! :P Hehehehehe >:(

She should be on a plane right now leaving Denver. I was hoping that the flight would be delayed so I could go visit her, but no luck.

Oh well, I'll see her in a few weeks for our "private" tunnel camp in Florida:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Nope, no code. It's true. I've set up a private tunnel camp for a few of my close friends with a wonderful Air Speed coach out at the tunnel in Florida:P And no, it's not costing me an arm and a leg!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i'm so not feeling the love...

;)

Oh baby, I'll show you some love over Thanksgiving weekend.

I know, it's hard to believe, I'm going to the tunnel without you:P But don't worry, I'll call.

What a great thread!!! I would love to do the big way camp in a couple years from now when I have more experience. I did do a RW camp at Perris and Dan BC was awesome with organizing the camp and sharing his experience. Glad you had such a great time! And yeah, the tunnel is great...guess that's why they call it the crack house....:S

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller