glgflyer

"Lazy Bag" deployment bag

Has anyone here used the rubber bandless deployment bag made in Belgium called the Lazy Bag? If so, I would like to hear some comments about it. Most importantly, IS IT SAFE? Is it bulkier than a regular d-bag? I am interested in giving it a try but would like to hear from those who are familiar with it before doing so. Thanks.

Actually, I did use the search function and found a lot of posts about the lazy bag but they were all from several years ago and most were overseas. What I really want to know is there anyone who regularly visits dropzone.com who is using this bag now (preferably in the states), and if so I would like their comments on it. I saw the video on how to close it and I really like the idea of not using stow bands, but only if it is just as safe as a regular d-bag. So if there are any users in the states who are using the "Lazy Bag" please post your experiences with it. Thanks a lot. Also, thanks for your post virgin-burner.

I dont really understand how an experience overseas is not as informative as an experience in the US... Just in case we have a team in France equiped with lazy bags, and they have hundreds of jumps, most probably thousands with them and they like it very much....

I dont really understand how an experience overseas is not as informative as an experience in the US... Just in case we have a team in France equiped with lazy bags, and they have hundreds of jumps, most probably thousands with them and they like it very much....

yup, i wonder about that too..

apparently, those type of d-bags, like the one from basik too (french) ARE made by europeans, and not americans.. logic says they will be more common here, but my logic might be flawed there..

also, if you'd fill out your profile we could determine about which side of the pond you actually refer to.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I really want to apologize for the way my statement sounded. I did not mean it to sound that way at all. I was just hoping to possibly locate someone close by that had one that I could look at before dishing out the $141. I do value your opinions and comments very much and I really hope you will accept my apology. The info you gave about the team in France being equipped with the lazy bag and having many jumps on them was very helpful information. Again, I do apologize for a very poorly worded statement.

dont get all defensive now.. rough crowd in here! ;)

141$!? considering a complete rig is somewhere around five grand.. well, its a small price!

i'm pretty sure you spent that much money for more stupid stuff, i sure know i have.. :P

besides, if you'd bought one, it could be YOU giving out that information close by you.. ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I have over 1000 jumps with a lazy bag. I am very happy with it. Lot's of happy users of them in Belgium.
Only be sure that you use it correctly. There are 2 versions of it (with velcro, without velcro) and the mpod (with magnets).

If you use packers, be sure that they know how to use them.

The two "closing strings" of the (older) velcro version lazy bag must be stowed double folded.
If you do that with the non-velcro version, you just have packed a baglock (so do not double fold them :)
With the MPOD, no closing strings needed anymore.

I owned the 3 versions and I have to say that I realy like the non-velcro version and the MPOD. I only bought the MPOD recently.

I prefer not to use a "normal" D bag anymore.

For more info, look at:
http://www.compal.be/
http://www.pgasus.be/

The lazy bag is as save as a normal D bag (or better).

The only disadvantage: if it is made for a certain packvolume, do not a bigger canopy in it. Probably it will not stay closed.

The mPod is heavier than a normal bag (due to the magnets).

The openings are as good as with a normal D bag or even better.

Gr

Jurgen

Magnets sewn in different locations, like strips, this way you could just "select" the tightes size?

Possible but not desirable. It will create more problems.
If you have a bigger canopy than the size your container is made for, buy a bigger bag.
More magnets = more weight + higher prices

I imagine they're using Neodymium (Rare-eath) magnets?

I don't know, but shoot the maker an e-mail.

Is there any way to make a magnetic POD that is less sensitive to changes in pack volume?

No problem (or read: the same rules apply as with a normal bag) if the canopy is smaller.

If the canopy is bigger, the magnets still have to be aligned in order to close the bag. bBut shoot the rigger who makes them an e-mail
See http://www.pgasus.be/
Or just order a bigger bag in that case.

How can you get line dump with a normal bag?

As far as I've been able to gather (much discussion, I'm still learning) you can't. The idea being that if the canopy is opening/open before the lines are stretched, you can have a hard opening.

How can the magnets come undone?

I said if but I was picturing an odd opening on a tight container with a sloppy pack job (I'm guilty!) or some of the excess in the bottom of the container grabbing the top flap and opening it. Don't get me wrong, I love magnets, they're awesome but I'm just asking the question to get the opinions of people who know more about this than me... i.e. just about everyone. ;)

I cannot say that it will never happen, but the probability will be much lower.

Lower relative to what?

How can you get line dump with a normal bag?

As far as I've been able to gather (much discussion, I'm still learning) you can't. The idea being that if the canopy is opening/open before the lines are stretched, you can have a hard opening.

No line dump possible with a normal bag????? Please use bigger rubber bands or old, worn-out ones ready to snap :S.
Line dump with a normal bag happens when a rubber band or tube stow snaps during/before the opening or when the lines are not tight enough kept by the rubber bands or tube stows or …

How can the magnets come undone?

I said if but I was picturing an odd opening on a tight container with a sloppy pack job (I'm guilty!) or some of the excess in the bottom of the container grabbing the top flap and opening it. Don't get me wrong, I love magnets, they're awesome but I'm just asking the question to get the opinions of people who know more about this than me... i.e. just about everyone. ;)

I am also a very sloppy packer, so no worries, I have already tested that for you ;-)
If the container can grap the topflap of your lazybag, it also can grab the closingflap of a normal bag. I do not understand your concern.
The magnets close very firmly. Just do not use a bag which is too small for the canopy.

I cannot say that it will never happen, but the probability will be much lower.

Lower relative to what?

Lower than with a normal bag.

Maybe I mis-characterized the discussions, maybe what people were saying was that, in most cases, people weren't getting line dump when they said they were? Hard openings were due to poor slider control when packing?

Wouldn't line dump require all locking stows coming undone though?