tantalum

Skydiving = Partying?

I have been in skydiving for almost six yrs (1,200+ jumps, TI , Sr. Rigger and all that), but over the last year or two I have gotten pretty discouraged.

At least in my state, it seems all about partying, getting drunk, playing poker all the time at most dz's. Does anyone these days still thinks of skydiving as a SPORT??? (Other than a venue to get laid after too many beers.)

Maybe I am too old school...maybe I am just old.

You need a quiet tandem DZ with lots of RW :P
and gestapo for airport care takers

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Hmm, I'm guessing you're either in FL, AZ, or CA? :D
Hey, you're not old buddy!!! Some people, I dunno, maybe they have more fun PARTYING after the Skydiving, than ACTUALLY jumping?
I prefer jumps, thankyouverymuch!

There's gotta be SOME people at your dz who aren't all about getting wasted wanna do RW, right? kidding! :ph34r: ( just playin off the post above mine)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I've never been to a DZ where it wasnt about jumping when the sun is up. You dont have to hang out at the DZ when the jumping is over.. but what else is there to do besides hang out, play cards, socialize..etc. ? Theres a lot of adrenaline pumping thru our bodies all day and its nice to relax at the end of the day.

I dont think we're different from any other sport. You either include your friends from your sport in your social life, or you dont.

let me tell you, as a college guy, i can think of a million other places to go, other than a dropzone to get laid after too many beers. Places that won't cost you around 100 bucks for a day of fun.

why, of all the feelings to feel, are you discouraged? People are enjoying themselves. :)
sure the trends change, doesn't mean they're bad. Hop in a poker game, ask for a beer, go for the party. I guarantee you'll be welcomed, with open arms, to the family you've always known.

Oh yeah, and don't forget your dentures B|

BE THE BUDDHA!

It'a all up to individuals, some just do fun jumps, then party through the night and jump hangovered...
Other do the trainings and watch about the drinking and going to bed early in order to perform their best the next day, this is what a call a spotrs behaviour.maybe I'm old school too:)The diffrerence is quite obvious at cometitions and the competitions.

To some people it is just that a sport. They can't stay and smoosh and play after hours. A quick beer and off they go. Some people have to balance a personal life and finances Vs skydiving. Every day on the dropzone is a treat.

To others its a way of life. They are on the DZ everyday or every weekend, their life is consumed. The social life is good but it can be limiting. Its a tight knit group that cares for one another on and off the DZ.

The shameful part is when this group looks down on the first group that is striving for " balance" in their lives and regards them as an outsider. I heard a comment once on these forums about sticking around after the beer light comes on will increase your skydiving knowledge. If this individual thinks sticking around is the only way to get "air educated " it is kind of sad.

I recently moved from one DZ to another partly for this very reason. I love to party, but I love to skydive even more, and I got real tired of having to wait until 10:30 every morning for all the drunks to get out of bed before we could put a load together.

The two do go hand in hand, and that's a good thing, but in the end if the skydiving isn't coming out on top, then it's time to sell your gear and go hang out in a bar.

Canuck

Hell no! Like I said, I still LOVE to party, I just like being at a DZ where the whole crew doesn't get so blasted EVERY night that nobody wants to get up and at it the next day.

There were days this season when I was doing back to backs that I would have 6 jumps in before my old DZ was getting out of bed.

I still have the occasional run-a-way. It's hard not to when you're drinking Canadian beer - you know, the stuff that actually has alcohol in it and tastes good! :P

Canuck

I am guilty of every thing you listed. I go to the dropzone every weekend to get in couple of jumps and then hang out with friends. I am not there to see how many jumps I can get in or to push myself to become a skygod, I just want to have a fun and be safe. The last thing I want to do is to get so serious about jumping that I forget that I am here to enjoy myself. I think that there are allot of other "Fun" jumpers that may feel the same way.

I try to always remember the 3 rules of skydiving that were told to me by my Instructor on my first jump:
1. Be Safe
2. Have Fun
3. Look Good for the Camera.

As for Skydiving being a "Sport", I usually think of a Sport as a Competitive Activity. I am not at a Dropzone to Compete with anyone.

Ironically, Websters Dictionary defines Sport as:

Main Entry: sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.
synonym see FUN

A for a DZ being a Venue to just get Laid...
All the ones I have ever been to the Guys out numbered the girls at least 6 to 1. Definitely not the first place I would head if just looking to get laid. Much better odds elsewhere.

Who are you? It would help if you were willing to identify yourself.

How does you knowing more about who they are help you to answer that question.

You're just nosey:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

well you still have to celebrate a day of surviving jumpig from planes don't you ?? :)

that's the main reason why you need enough people at a DZ... 1 part does the early morning loads, the other part does the night celebrations and afternoon loads :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hmm, I'm guessing you're either in FL, AZ, or CA?

I'm with Skybytch on this one, I've done lots of traveling to different DZs in the above mentioned states. I sure didn't see lots of parties during the jumping hours, or even after the jumping is done for that matter.

Just how many different DZs in those states have you been to? What do you have to back up your claim? If it was a joke, it's not a nice one, as there are low timers that post here from DZs in those states that might not get the joke. Please, be careful what you post in the more serious forums.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

***Hmm, I'm guessing you're either in FL, AZ, or CA?

I'm with Skybytch on this one, I've done lots of traveling to different DZs in the above mentioned states. I sure didn't see lots of parties during the jumping hours, or even after the jumping is done for that matter.

Just how many different DZs in those states have you been to? What do you have to back up your claim? If it was a joke, it's not a nice one, as there are low timers that post here from DZs in those states that might not get the joke. Please, be careful what you post in the more serious forums.

wow, I'm sorry, it was just a joke!
I have never been to any dz's in the above mentioned places, I don't think you need to warn me about joking about that, it's no big deal,
Low timers might not get the joke? what's not to get?

I was completely joking about the more partying going on in those 3 states--if I were a big partier, those states would definitely come to my mind for parties (more like boogies, than weekend parties, AS well as places where some incredibly skilled people jump)
--all I was saying, is that I'm more into jumping than the partying afterwards, and GUESS WHAT? I'll probably move to Cali after college, so I can jump! Isn't that ironic?:S

edit to add: Since I'd love to live someplace warm ,sunny, w/ beaches ( like SoCal), I'd much rather party there, then some place freakin cold like South Dakota, where I'm originally from. Do ya think MAYBE other people feel the same way? :o ( and consider AZ, CA, FL FUN places?) :o

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Yes, I am nosey and maybe you should be to. With no name and no history I wonder about his motives. Rumor and heresay can ruin a DZ. If he is not willing to identify himself/herself why bother with a response.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes, I am nosey and maybe you should be to. With no name and no history I wonder about his motives. Rumor and heresay can ruin a DZ. If he is not willing to identify himself/herself why bother with a response.

Sparky

this is an internet message board, who is to say any information he posts about himself is going to be accurate anyways? I for one could careless about personal information. If it is a topic i want to comment on i do, if it isnt, then i dont. Simple.

Sparky

this is an internet message board, who is to say any information he posts about himself is going to be accurate anyways? I for one could careless about personal information. If it is a topic i want to comment on i do, if it isnt, then i dont. Simple.

I think thats great. I choose to do things a little different.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

your such a liar jay you come out. Don't drink and read the simms every week-end. I don't know what your on about. Last week- you were talking about getting a team together......hehe ;);)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
don't sweat the small stuff, in fact don't sweat at all,, you get smelly!!

ORFUN #2

wow, I'm sorry, it was just a joke!
I have never been to any dz's in the above mentioned places, I don't think you need to warn me about joking about that, it's no big deal,
Low timers might not get the joke? what's not to get?

As I said in my post to you, if it was a joke, it's wrong to post that in a serious forum.

I was completely joking about the more partying going on in those 3 states--

You didn't make that clear in your post.

As Spark has said, if a poster is fairly new to the forums and then comes out of the blue and post a question like this, and has no information in his profile, it makes me say "Hummmm?"
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think most jumpers have a pretty good balance. Jumping and partying is what I do for fun most of the time every other w/e. That said there are always going to be people who take things to an extreme. That is life, expect it, and deal with it.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.