JohnRich

New "Wichard" Hardware

The latest "Parachutist" magazine had an advertisement from a company named "Wichard", showing some new-fangled type of friction adapter (image attached), the likes of which I have not seen before.

The ad doesn't explain what we're looking at. Does anyone know the particulars on this?

I presume that the bar in the middle is under some kind of spring tension which keeps the webbing tight on the friction bar, so that it doesn't loosen up as you flex, preventing the webbing from slipping underneath it. We've read horror stories here of leg straps coming loose at really bad times. Is this a solution?

And if my presumption is correct, then I wonder if the tension of that bar is going to wear a hole or a groove in the webbing over time.

And what exactly does "hot forged" mean, and how does that add to strength and safety?

I won't comment on the stitching on that top piece of webbing, as I'll assume that is just for show, and is obviously not the way you would want to see a parachute harness sewn.

The company web site is here: http://wichard-usa.com/

This is a French company that seems to make mostly hardware for sailing applications, and also some stuff for parachuting, including the famous rapide links.

They are making 3 rings for major companies and several other hardwares used in EEC since years. They are not the manufacturer of the rapid link, they just sell it. We use this leg strap hardware since years without problem and it works fine. We just had one problem of wear on the webbing mainly because of a wrong understanding of the hardware use.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

I presume that the bar in the middle is under some kind of spring tension which keeps the webbing tight on the friction bar, so that it doesn't loosen up as you flex, preventing the webbing from slipping underneath it. We've read horror stories here of leg straps coming loose at really bad times. Is this a solution?

I made one jump on a rig (Paratec Next) with that type of hardware and it worked fine, they stayed thight a lot better then the ones on my Icon.

And what exactly does "hot forged" mean, and how does that add to strength and safety?

There are two ways of forging in both ways the material is heated. Cold forging is at lower temperature and makes stronger parts, but requires a lot stronger stamping machines and more expensive tooling.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I have it on my container which works perfect.
I bought an Omega container with 100 jumps and made myself another 200 jumps. there is no noticeable sight of wear on the straps.
they work no problem, keep the leg straps in the position while in the plane so one worry less. I'm happy so far.

Janusz
Back to Poland... back home.

Polak is "lost" in action, but not for long, can't cope with the weather any longer ;-)

dzien dobry

regards
Janusz

Edit:
Polish guy with German container and AAD, French reserve and Slovenian main living in Ireland, what a mix... isn't this world interesting?
Back to Poland... back home.

This is an old concept, updated with stainless steel.
There are several old MIL-SPEC hardware patterns that contained spring gates to prevent slippage. Part of the problem is that most MIL-SPEC hardware was originally designed to be compatible with bulky cotton Type 13 webbing.
While modern nylon materials (eg. Type 7 webbing) are much stronger, they are also thinner and often slippery, ergo they slide through old hardware too easily.
The most common installation of hardware with spring gates is adjustable main lift webs on student harnesses.

Some of Wichard's polished stainless steel hardware is beautiful!
Unfortunately, some polished stainless steel hardware is too slippery for modern nylon webbing.
Storng Enterprises had the same slippage problem with MIL-SPEC hardware that was protected with nickel.

You are correct in mis-trusting the stitching on the example in the ad. It is purely for show. Proper harness stitching would be much closer to the buckle, to prevent it from twisting sideways.

The hardware pictured is actually last-year's-fashion. They had a problem with the small rubbing area - of the spring - fraying webbing, so this-year's-fashion has a wider portion of the spring pressing on the webbing.

There are two ways of forging in both ways the material is heated. Cold forging is at lower temperature and makes stronger parts, but requires a lot stronger stamping machines and more expensive tooling.

Hot-forging is the most popular way to form steel hardware. High-stress components like crankshafts, wing bolts and MIL-SPEC parachute harness hardware are mostly hot-forged.
Hot-forging starts with red-hot steel pounded and pressed into dies. Dies are usually the shape of the finished product, ergo hot-forged hardware has few rough edges.
The principal advantage of hot-forging is that it aligns the grain (crystals) with the outside mold lines of the hardware, usually aligning the grain with the load, making stronger parts.
Most MIL-SPEC parachute hardware is rated for 2,500 to 5,500 pound loads.
Try to picture a metal Maillon Rapide connector link with the grain following the oval outside mold-lines, the same way fabric strands align with the load in a soft connector link.

Cold-forging is rare is parachute hardware.

Cold-stamping is also rare in parachute hardware, currently limited to the 500 pound buckles on chest straps.

Castings are limited to AAD boxes.

Sintering is limited to the filters on AAD boxes.

Machining is limited to screw threads.

Cold forging is not rare in the sport, some 3 rings used by major companies are cold forged. I do not remember the name of the company who is making and selling them. I will have the name tomorrow when back to my office.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Cold forging is not rare in the sport, some 3 rings used by major companies are cold forged. I do not remember the name of the company who is making and selling them. I will have the name tomorrow when back to my office.

Jérôme, I believe you are thinking of CWH. We've started using their SR8 base rings on the Infinity. They also have a neat friction adapter available, which is currenly on the Para-tec rigs. As I understand, Para-tec has worked closely with CWH on the design of these adapters and will enjoy exclusivety rights for a period of time (good on them!). They are spring loaded like the Wichard pieces but its speculated that they will minimize wear. I managed to get my hands on a set and they are really nice :)
-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment

Hot-forging is the most popular way to form steel hardware. High-stress components like crankshafts, wing bolts and MIL-SPEC parachute harness hardware are mostly hot-forged.
Hot-forging starts with red-hot steel pounded and pressed into dies. Dies are usually the shape of the finished product, ergo hot-forged hardware has few rough edges.
The principal advantage of hot-forging is that it aligns the grain (crystals) with the outside mold lines of the hardware, usually aligning the grain with the load, making stronger parts.
Most MIL-SPEC parachute hardware is rated for 2,500 to 5,500 pound loads.
Try to picture a metal Maillon Rapide connector link with the grain following the oval outside mold-lines, the same way fabric strands align with the load in a soft connector link.

Cold-forging is rare is parachute hardware.

Cold-stamping is also rare in parachute hardware, currently limited to the 500 pound buckles on chest straps.

Castings are limited to AAD boxes.

Sintering is limited to the filters on AAD boxes.

Machining is limited to screw threads.

In general (not just restricted to steel) hot forging (or rolling or drawing) is done at at temperature high enough that the metal or alloy anneals as it is deformed, so it doesn't work harden. Cold forging (or rolling or drawing...) is done below the annealing temperature so the metal or alloy is work hardened during the process. The actual temperature that divides "hot" from "cold" forming depends on the metal; it's lower for aluminum than for copper and brass, and that in turn is lower than for steel or titanium.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Jérôme, I believe you are thinking of CWH. We've started using their SR8 base rings on the Infinity. They also have a neat friction adapter available, which is currenly on the Para-tec rigs. As I understand, Para-tec has worked closely with CWH on the design of these adapters and will enjoy exclusivety rights for a period of time (good on them!). They are spring loaded like the Wichard pieces but its speculated that they will minimize wear. I managed to get my hands on a set and they are really nice :)

Yes Tony, it has been developped by a Wichard employee years ago then he moved working for CWH. I have seen it and it is better than the Wichard adapter but less nicer and bigger. Beside this, CWH is making 3 rings and a lot of harware for SunPath and other companies. They are mainly all cold forging.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr