windcatcher

screw that, I'll just start going alone!

spelling is crap but.... ek kan abikke afikans prat?

I come from a town in nz with 20,000 south africans.
you guys have very similar interest as us, just we are much better at cricket, netball, rugby, and drinking, but you guys are learning from us...slowly but surely.;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

wow, thanks for the awesome reply/advice. I will definitely let any local dz.commer know when I'm abroad ( NOT a broad!>:().
In my backpacking class we're required to take one weekend trip.I've bought a few issues from Backpacker magazine, and growing up camping, fishing, hiking gets me really exicted, especially when skydiving's involved!!!
wahoooooooooooooo!!!!! :)

I've just re-read parts of this thread, a backpacking class? Care to elaborate? Where do you take it? Excuse my ignorance, do they offer it a University?

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Windcatcher...I LOVE your attitude! Wish there was a woman out there for me who has the balls to be adventurous.

Go for it, girl. You'll be glad you did and sorry if you don't.

One of the 2 best years of my life was spent touring Europe alone as a professional tourist - backpacking and such.
Went over on a 90-day visa and stayed 11 months......ah, the memories of that year......
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

hey windcatcher,
I know exactly what you mean, I sort of have the same
type of friends. I went by myself to go learn howto skydive,
and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Sure
there were the rocky times feeling all weird cause your
by yourself, but human nature is going to grab your ass
and start making you communicate with whoever, and
most of the time more sooner than later your not
going to be alone for long. Trust me, you start making your
friends do something their genuinly not intrested in it's
going to make your experience 10x worse. All the bitching,
and moaning, and the rest off that stuff. Im sitting
being a burnt tea-pot calling the kettle black, but...
sometimes it's worth it. S'upto you...Camping is a tough
one though. Scuba-diving, you get to meet new friends
pretty quick.

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

NZ's an awesome place, you'll have a fantastic time. I did exactly what you're doing, came here in 2000 for a 4/5 month trip to see a good friend of mine & travel round the country. Fell in love with the place, got a job, permanent residence & never went home!! :)
If you enjoy diving, Poor Knights Island (a couple of hrs drive north of Auckland) was described as being in the top 10 dive sites of the world by Jacques Costeau (sp?) not been myself but one of the guys I work with dives & he says it's amazing. And if you get down to Taupo, call in and say hello & do some jumps.....we have a beautiful lake, snow covered mountains with active volcanoes, forests & best of all PAC 750 turbine aircraft B|B|

Ignore what the kiwis say about rugby though....they did after all come THIRD in the rugby world cup and will get another pasting when the Lions come over in July Muahahahahah!! :D:D:D

Another really good resource for backpacking/travelling & tourism in general is the Lonely Planet thorntree: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

Russ

I've done lots and lots of traveling alone. Wait, I did take my dog.

I like the alone time, I can stop where I want, do what I want. I have even gone hiking and backpacking with just the dogs.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Why should I sit around and wait for the perfect friend to take with me to experience the "thrill of a lifetime"???

You shouldn't wait... I've done a lot of things alone just because I didn't have anyone to take with me... I've never seen that as a reason to keep me from doing something that I wanted to do... and sometimes I go places alone just because it's a nice feeling to be alone, going wherever you want to go and doing whatever you want to do without having to make plans or discuss it with anyone else. ;)

Windcatcher...I LOVE your attitude! Wish there was a woman out there for me who has the balls to be adventurous

aww, shucks, you're gonna make me cry:$ ( okay not really, but I appreciate the thought);)

and to everyone else: Yes, I can't wait to start my new adventures alone. I can only imagine the places I'll go, the people I'll meet, the food I'll taste,etc. Thanks for all your encouragements here---it's nice to see so many like-minded folk....but then again, great minds do think alike. B|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

The best advice I can give you is TRAVEL LIGHT!

The more I travel, the SMALLER my bag/pack becomes!
On the last trip, 3 weeks in India, Alysse and I used a very small carryon bag, and a book backpack! Anything you buy for souvenirs can be mailed back home!

You will not need almost everything you may think you will need. Remember, that backpacking class will be focused on carrying your sleeping bag, tent, cooking gear, food, etc. That is fine for USA hiking and camping, but not appropriate for international travel.

First, because most times you will be staying at youth hostels, or b&b's, or small hotels. You won't need tent or sleeping bag (carry a set of sheets though). You won't need cook stuff.

Second, even clothing.....can be bought on the road if needed. I picked up some great shirts and other items in India, cheaply, and they matched the climate I was in....

The heaviest items in my pack are usually my Lonely Planet or Rough Guides for the place I will visit. Also carry the smallest language dictionary available (usually a berlitz mini, or a lonely planet mini dictionary). BTW, both those guides have extensive advice for women solo travelers.

Visiting DZs is a good idea!
If you have some hobby or interest, look for those people in the countries you visit. Alysse is a master ceramicist, on a trip to spain and portugal we made a point to ask where the pottery studios were in each small town, and had great conversations and learned about the places with other potters....etc

finally, get the best fitting walking shoes (i like rockports in many styles) and break them in using them for a couple of weeks before traveling.

have fun!

marc

I do a lot of things alone. I'd just as soon be alone as be with someone who would bring me down or spoil the fun. I enjoy doing things with my friends as long as they aren't simply wanting to sit in the hotel and watch TV or something.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I'm tired of girl friends who won't go anywhere or be adventurous, because it's "too expensive" or "too dirty" or "too tiring" or "there aren't enough modern facilities"....blahblahblah.

You'll probably experience more and meet more people by travelling alone. Groups have a tendency to be sometimes exclusive. And I agree with your choice of NZ. One of the best place to meet wonderful people, and a truly amazingly beautiful country.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Marc-
thanks for the reminder to travel light. My backpacking class I'm in now, is the type of backpacking where you hike in the mountains, stay overnight, light a fire, then continue your journey the next day.
However, I will be doing the OTHER kind of backpacking as well, most likely when I get the chance to go to New Zealand ( and South Africa I guess is now on the list;))
I'm subscribing to Backpacker magazine now--they have all sorts of info on tents, how to pack light, comfy shoes, etc.; but I will also need to learn about international backpacking as well--same principles, different environment. ( that and you don't have to make a fire to sleep next to every night,esp. if you stay at some hostel/b and b w/ a fire place):)

Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a second rig?

well, considering the fact that I am happy enough as a college student just to get ONE rig, the answer is no. I imagine I'll have an easier time skydiving more when I have a real job outside of college in 2 years. But now that I am only 22, unattached, no kids,etc, I figure this is the best time to do international travel. Once I settle down it'll probably be easier for me to skydive more; and besides, the experience of skydiving AND being in a foreign country has to be the worth the $, even if it means fewer jumps until I graduate.
Isn't that ironic that I think skydiving will be more accessible when I settle down? :D ( that's why I think I could never marry a whuffo)

edit to add: yes, I have heard the rule about scuba and sky--wait a few days.

But now that I am only 22, unattached, no kids,etc, I figure this is the best time to do international travel.

Good for you for doing it now. Of course, anyone who thinks it's "too late" for adventure should ignore that little voice. I've been accused of reliving my 20s now that I'm in my 30s... I didn't have nearly enough fun then (too focused on career and graduate school and all that sort of rot, and, oh yeah, I was woefully out of shape).

Now, I'm healthy and settled in the whole career game (and bored with the whole crazy-ambitious work like a dog phase of it) and finally doing all the stuff I should have done back then. In the past year I've taken up snowboarding, scuba, and skydiving, and restarted inline skating. Ironically, I'm more willing to take risks and chances and do things like travel alone than I was when I was your age. I regret that I wasted all that time, but I'm happy that I'm doing it all now.

Do not take a tent with you to new zealand...you will more than likely not be allowed to take it through customs.
The thing is every one just gives there tents away for free when they leave new zealand so you can find one very easily. New zealand is a very clean country that does not allow tents and camoing equipment coming into the country. you can bring new stuff in though. No matter where you are in the world you will be staying in hostels, if you go for a hike you will have no problem finding a tent and some camping equipment for that time. Trust me when i say you will find dirt cheap, if not free camping gear in new zealand.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Check out www.Contiki.com

I had a friend go solo on one of their European trips this past summer - she loved it and made plenty of friends along the way. The group you will travel with will be made up of people from 18-35 from all around the world.