Daphne

Immigration procedures at US airports

Hello,
I have a problem and hope somebody of our skydive community can help.
I have German citizenship, but at the moment, I spend quite some time in the US, traveling and skydiving. I worked hard for several years, fortunately made some good money, and so decided to just enjoy life for a while. I really have a good time at different US dropzones and boogies. But at the moment, I see one problem for me.
With the new immigration procedure at the airport, when entering the country, the immigration officers seem to be able to see immediately when and how long I had been in the US before. The rule seems to be: 90 days visitors visa, then leave the country for at least 48 hours. After that, the 90 days start from the beginning. That is at least, what I have been told.
Until now, it worked well and I haven't had any problems, but whenever I enter the US, I get a bunch of strange questions:
-what are you here for
-how long do you stay
-what do you do for living
-how much vacation do you have
-how much money do you have
-are you married
-do you have an american boyfriend
Especially the last question seems to be a critical one.
Does any of you have really knowledge, how this all works? I heard enough speculations of friends and other skydivers, but I really need some facts. Are there any immigration officers / friends of these in our skydive community who could give me some hints?
My main question is: what do I have to answer to be sure, I get the 90 day visitors visa again every time I enter the US. Is there a good chance they might refuse to give it to me?
Sorry for not using my real name, but I guess you can imagine that it is too risky.
Hints would be highly appreciated!
Blue skies,
"Daphne"

My main question is: what do I have to answer to be sure, I get the 90 day visitors visa again every time I enter the US. Is there a good chance they might refuse to give it to me?

Daphne,

Answer them honestly,
you are here to skydive / on vacation, staying for a month and you have enough money to get you through that time in the US.

Do you fly on one-way tickets or return tickets? They get nervous when you have a one way ticket, since that might be an indication that you're not going back.

Regarding the boyfriend.. It's just another question, they want to make sure you're going back to Germany and not stay here.

I've travelled in and out of the US a lot, and have to go through this every single time..

Let me know if you have any questions.

Just answer. Give answers and explanations as required. What do you have to hide?

The easiest way to avoid long waiting procedures simply is: Tell what you are going to do over there. That's all. If you have nothing to hide: What shall's? (German joke :P)

Go there, answer, present your papers and enjoy life.
But BTW: I really cannot imagine what could be "risky" if you show your name here?

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Daphne,

Everything everyone has said is exactly correct. I have something to do with these interview and visa granting for my job, and I assure you that the only purpose of these questions is to ensure that you will be going home when your visa expires.

If you have a job, own a house, or have some other strong connection with the country in which you currently reside, you are less likely to stay in the US longer than allowed.

Just please be honest with the interviewers, if you are honest you will have no problem.

Blue Skies

Thank you all.
I have been thru these procedures at least about 20 times during the last 3 years. It is not a matter of one month skydiving anymore. I have been in the US basically the whole last year, except maybe 6 weeks all in all.
Adrock, are there any guidelines for the immigration officers, if somebody has spent a certain amount of time here already? And do they see, as soon as they scan my passport, how much time I spent here during the last year / years? There is really nothing wrong, I wouldn't spend so much time here if I didn't like the country, but nevertheless I feel a bit uncomfortable the way they ask me questions at immigration.
And yes, I have an american boyfriend, and we definitely plan on staying together. I guess, getting married will solve many problems, but until then: is it a risk to tell them at immigration?
I just came back to the US after a short trip abroad, and my new visa is long enough for my intended stay until I go back to Germany next time.
I would like to go to a Boogie abroad for a week within this time, but I am a bit concerned if I might end up with problems when I reenter the US after the Boogie, and so I think about canceling the trip.
What do you think?
I am really a bit sad that it is this way. I don't have any bad intentions, I just like it here, and like to travel and skydive in the USA, that is why I spend so much time here. Other people bought houses and fancy cars for their money, I saved it instead for enjoying my live for a while, like I do right now. There shouldn't be anything wrong with it, but as I said before, I am just a bit concerned, the way I was treated lately at airport immigration.
Thank you very much,
"Daphne"

Hi Elis,
sorry for doing this, I hate this too. But you know that all these forums are not read by skydivers only, and so I definitely can't use my own name. I am a very active skydiver, skydiving means almost everything to me. That is all I can say at the moment. Hope for your understanding.

Hi there

Rule no.1 - pick your entry airport carefully. Some airports are tougher than others, eg Housten and Philadelphia (to be avoided at all costs) . Orlando and Phoenix are very skydive friendly and also tourist friendly. Miami is also pretty good. LA and NY can be tougher.

When answering questions, if you say that you are here to spend money skydiving, they love that, plus in your case you are not lying!

If you look as though you are working, then immigration will be tougher on you.

I would suggest getting a B1/B2 visa as you seem to travel here a lot - it cuts out a lot of the hassle and you can stay up to 6 months at a time without having a return ticket.

I got more hassle on 90 day visas than on my current B1/B2 visa, even though I was only over here for a couple of weeks at a time. Now I stay 4 months, leave for a bit and come back. I'm not working here, so have nothing to hide at immigration.

I doubt you will get many problems over the boogie, especially as you will have a ticket out of the country when you come back in.

Hope this helps a bit.

Liz

Liz,
thanks a lot. I know about some airports, so I definitely try to avoid NY and Washington. I haven't been aware of Houston and Philadelphia - actually I entered via Houston last weekend (and got really pissed once again).
How did you get the B1/B2 visa, and how long did it take you?
The easier part for the boogie will probably be, that I then stay only about 3 weeks more in the US, before I go back to Germany (for a while...).
Would be great, if you could give me some hints regarding the B1/B2. Thanks a lot!

It does seem like you're spending a lot of time here.... So why keep using the tourist visa?

Are you considering moving here fulltime? Why not start a permanent resident application?

The US has a plethora of different visas which may work better for you, but you need to get good advice on which to pick. I don't know any experts online, but I can recomend a good attorney if you like. PM me if interested.

It is by far simpler to be honest with US immigration and find a visa that suits your needs, than to try to fit yourself into a visa that doesn't really apply.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

How did you get the B1/B2 visa, and how long did it take you?

I got it through the American Embassy in London. If you check out your American Embassy in Germany on line, then it will give you the details and you can download the forms. You have to go for an interview (it is just with the guy behind a glass screen!) and they decide then and there if you are successful.

Basically you have to show that you can support yourself for the time that you are here.

As it was London, the date of the interview was about 3-4 weeks away from when I phoned to set it up.

I got my visa and passport back 2 days after the Embassy visit.

Liz