ChileRelleno

Goldcoast skydivers under attack... Update.

Update:

This mornings court appearance was for Mikes TRO (Temporary Restraining Order).
The attorney representing the JCAA (Jackson County Airport Authority) was able to have it dismissed due to the affidavit not being sworn, the affidavit was not sworn in front of the judge or notarized before being served to the JCAA.
The judge said that her hands were tied, that this type of order must follow strict rules and that she had no choice but to dismiss as requested.
Mike forfeited the $3,000.00 bond he had posted and out of that bond the judge awarded the JCAA's attorney his fees and the court fees.
The judge said that as Mike was representing himself she was forced to hold him to all the rules and guidelines that any regular attorney must adhere to and could not offer any leniency due to Mikes ignorance of said rules/guidelines.

Mike tried to challenge the JCAA's attorney to just go ahead with the proceedings, saying that the reason they wouldn't play ball was because they knew they don't have case.
The JCAA's counsel was confident from the start that they had Mike on this, they were all smiles form the git-go, they thought they had him on another technicality, the bond, but proof of bond was produced, so the next technicality was the lack of the "Sworn" affidavit,
there was a affidavit, it was served, it just was not sworn.

Mike and the JCAA already have a previously pending case (separate case/file, involving the eviction I guess) in another court on the docket for later this month, that still has to go forward as scheduled.

Mike is swearing to either file another TRO or some type of injunction against the JCAA.
He also says that it the DZ will be open for business this weekend as usual, he says that he will chain himself to the building before they shut him down, that he will continue this fight to the bitter end or sweet victory!
Mike says this was the first time he was the Plaintiff, not the Defendant and was not prepared. He said he would be prepared next time.

This is my summary,
Mike has represented himself before as a defendant, it is easier to represent oneself as a defendant, answer the questions, show your evidence/proof and so on.
Mike should have retained a lawyer, Mike should retain a lawyer ASAP!
It has been said before that only a fool represents himself, that it takes a lawyer to fight a lawyer.... In my opinion Mike needs a lawyer to win this one....

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I hate to be one to say this.. most of us warned you to try and get Mike to hire a lawyer. Those scavangers are good for something.

Sorry to hear it's not the best news.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Any chance USPA airport access will help? I know they are damn picky about what battles they pick but this is a pretty big Turbine DZ.

Yeah, they really helped out Skydive Indiana when it was having similar problems. People can bitch about USPA, but they really helped out our small dz when it was in need.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

The attorney representing the JCAA (Jackson County Airport Authority)

Better known as the Airport Board at Trent Lott International Airport, the home of Goldcoast Skydivers. See my post "Goldcoast Skydivers under attack."
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1474641#1474641

The attorney representing the JCAA (Jackson County Airport Authority)

Better known as the Airport Board at Trent Lott International Airport, the home of Goldcoast Skydivers. See my post "Goldcoast Skydivers under attack."
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1474641#1474641

So why are there two threads?
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

So why are there two threads?

(1) figured I'd post a update separately becuase some folks might not be "watching" the original post, so like a newspaper covering a ongoing story...
(2)By starting a "Update" thread I hoped to attract more attention to our DZ's plight.
(3)Perhaps its just the Postwhore in me:):P.

If I'm still at home and receive more news about this you'll probably see another update... I don't see a problem with this do you?
Greenies (moderators)?

That's crappy news.

Mike's a good guy, but he should be smarter. He should get a lawyer to help.

Best of luck, but unless he's willing to get profesional help, I don't hold out much hope.

A courtroom with high stakes is not the place for an amateur.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Try to keep thinsg to one thread. It helps to floow the story.

thinsg? floow?

Is that French Canadian? Or are you into the Unibroue a little early this afternoon? ;)

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

He has retained a lawyer as of today;)

Chile is absolutely right. I have never been a plaintiff in a lawsuit and I made a very stupid procedural error. Unfortunately, I'm not as sharp as I used to be. I retained an attorney today who said the error I made could have been easily corrected by the judge if she felt like hearing the case. Obviously, she didn't. There's no one to blame but myself and I feel terrible for letting down the people that were in attendance today. It certainly didn't help my cause for the law library to be closed Tuesday and Wednesday for Mardi Gras. Maybe my review of civil procedures would have caught the error. I actually left the courtrrom so upset that I was ready to just throw in the towel. Then I thought about my Dad and how disappointed he would be in me if he knew what I was feeling. Suddenly the spirit and fight came back. Yea, I lost round 1, but this is a 15 round fight and I will win it. I have alot of people depending on me and I won't let them down again.