freeflir29

WTF do I tell my Mom?

She isn't taking my departure to Iraq to well. I'm the "Baby" of the family and I guess no matter how old you get you can never grow out of that. :S Mom's out there.......what would make it easier for you?

Tell her you changed jobs and you're going to be playing piano in a whorehouse... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't think there is anything you can say that will prepare her for this. Seems like one of those things that will get better with time, emails, letter, and a lot of luck. I'm sure she would be just as worried if any other kid was going to Iraq. Not a great place to be right now so u can't really blame her.

What to tell her?? Only you know what makes her feel better.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

[:/] Clay. Just call her lots. Stay in touch. Email her everyday. Make her feel as comfy as possible.

We love you, Clay!!! So make sure you stay in touch with us too. Lots. And lots. And then some more. And some more after that!!!

Sooooooo... can you go to the Dublin boogie or what???

Talk to mom, but you are right about being the baby, I still am "her baby" no matter what, I still remember her reaction when she saw a picture of me jumping out of an airplane :P

Tell her you changed jobs and you're going to be playing piano in a whorehouse...

She would probably LOVE to hear that about now! :D

No doubt, bro...no doubt!! Of course, if you WERE playing piano in a whorehouse, you probably wouldn't have that sig line anymore, either!

Local news has the Kosovar PM being indicted...oughta be interesting around here for a few weeks, too! Glad I don't have any reason to be going off base....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

She's not going to take it too well. The most devastating thing that can happen to a parent is to lose their child. I was talking to a 93-year-old woman on Saturday whose 70-year-old daughter died last year. It was devastating for her, and she knew her daughter had had a long and full life.

The only thing that would make it (a little) easier is knowing in my heart that it's the direction that's right for him, and not just the momentarily profitable or exciting one.

Parents want their children to have real happiness; to have the ability to make themselves content with stuff that's real, not just junk.

So all you can do is tell her how it fits with your life, and promise to keep in contact. Then do it.

It's your life. You have to live it. She's not always going to be happy with your choices. But hug her lots when you can, and share your growth with her.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm not a mom but dude, can you blame her?

My mom completely flipped when i told her i was going on a BASE trip so i can only imagine what yours is going through now.

I really don't think there's much you can say to make her feel better either. Tell her you're highly trained and your buds have got your back. And that you promise you'll be careful. Hope that helps amigo. Take care of yourself over there, it would be cool to have you at JSC in one piece! :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

The only thing that would make it (a little) easier is knowing in my heart that it's the direction that's right for him, and not just the momentarily profitable or exciting one.

I have talked to her quite a bit about that. I'm taking the job with an early retirement in mind. I'd much rather retire comfortably at less than 40 instead of retire half assed at 50+. What I can't talk to her about is why I do this kind of thing for a living. I'm hooked on the lifestyle I think. I don't think she could understand that. Wow......I need all this stress. I'm getting pretty pumped about it all by myself. I have NO problem saying that the FIRST ride from BIAP (Airport) to the Green Zone gives me the jitters. I have seen that road on CNN and "Attack Re-creation" Power Point slides too many times. Heard a few too many "War Stories" from friends that have been ambushed on that road. I'm probably making it out to be FAR worse than it actually is........but I guess a healthy respect is what will keep me alive. ;) Oh well.........This is life I guess. :S

Nothings easy when MOMS upset, spend as much time as you can with her.

I'm her baby too and I'm 36. I'm glad I'm not the only one who still gets called her baby..

I know how hard it is to see MOM upset, so be strong for the both of you, your happiness makes her stronger.

ED. Mann nnn n don't you just love MOM.

I'm her baby too and I'm 36. I'm glad I'm not the only one who still gets called her baby..

A friend that was in my class is 54 years old. 27 years in the Army. Former Sgt Major of 10th SF group and may have even worked some "other" places. He says he's still his Mom's baby too. :D

I have no answer for you unfortunately. However, I would like to thank you for your service!! It is folks like you that allow the rest of us to sleep under a blanket of freedom and voice are opinions regarding anything and everything.

Stay safe and may all our fallen :)brothers/sisters:) look over you while you are in Iraq.

Phil

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I would like to thank you for your service!!

No problem.........I think I was born to do this stuff. ;)

Stay safe and may all our fallen brothers/sisters look over you while you are in Iraq.

I'm going to ask Jay to sit in the "bitch" seat next to me in the Suburban. :)

My mum has been the same on all my 'operational' tours, somehow she seemed to worry about the ones she didn't even know about. (womans intuition?)

I'd get a voicemail saying, 'where are you? I hope your safe, should I be worried?':S

Just tell her you have a wallet with "bad motherfucker" on it.;)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

My family just went through this with my kid brother. My advice is to write often as possible.
Hook her up with a support group. She will want to talk about her feelings with other military moms. Esipcallly when the newness of your deployment wears off and all her freinds and co-workers lose a little interest in her grief. It sounds bad but it happens.

We got my mother ribbons for trees and magnets for her car. Also a blue star banner for the house. And always remember that she will probably suffer a little more emotionally than you through the whole thing. Moms are funny that way i guess.

Good luck and have a safe return.

She will want to talk about her feelings with other military moms.

That's probably the worst thing for her. I'm NOT in the military. There's no support structure. I'll see what I can do about plugging her into one from one of my old units or something. :S

Mom's out there.......what would make it easier for you?

Don't make it easier for yourself, make it easier for your mom. Tell her you love her, and remind her that the man she helped raise does not shirk his obligations. Thank her for everything, and then tell her you love her again.
p.j.
p.s. I'm the baby in my family, I can relate.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin.
options: it does a body good.

Might try telling your Mom that she can trust in the Good Lord's will, whatever that may be.
That's all ANY of us can do anyway.
You folks are always in my prayers.

Oh yea, and cover your six.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)