superman0710

loud boisterious morbid 1st timers...and other DZ irks

i usually don't mind when a 1st timer is suited up, wandering about the DZ waiting for his load to go up, and is being somewhat loud.

"YEAH BABY" "HERE WE GO" "WE'RE SKYDIVING!!"

doesn't bother me.

but whenever i hear "THIS IS THE END, IT'S ARMAGEDDON", "MY LAST DAY ON EARTH!"

i get somewhat annoyed. i realize the inherent danger we each accept with our sport, and i know its monumental for these new guys to face that danger...but it just gets under my skin for some reason when they bring up death in their bravado manner. :S

any other things that bug ya at the DZ?

Tandems come and go. Don't let the testosterone driven drivel get to you. To these people, they are being hard core doing their once in a life time jump. For the rest of us real skydivers, it's just another day at the DZ doing what we love. Jumping.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

What really bothers me are 2 jump wonders who even think about "1st timers" as if they are somehow different.

Based on your numerous posts I'd say you should spend a lot more time thinking about yourself and your deep interpersonal issues.

Just what this sport needs, an ego tripped DEA agent. Take up bowling. >:(

What really bothers me are 2 jump wonders who even think about "1st timers" as if they are somehow different.

Based on your numerous posts I'd say you should spend a lot more time thinking about yourself and your deep interpersonal issues.

Just what this sport needs, an ego tripped DEA agent. Take up bowling. >:(

Wow, that was uncalled for. Take it easy cool breeze...jeez!

The Original Cabana Boy!

Nah, those "macho" armageddon guys don't bother me....I love being their instructor and seeing the look on their face when I open that door for the first time.>:(
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

i think you're misunderstanding me. i'm not ego tripped. I love talking to the first timers about any concerns they might have because, hey, i was there not too long ago (i did my 3rd and last tandem this weekend, on to IAF!!!) but the last thing i like to think about on the DZ is death, so it kinda gets under my skin when a new guy starts shouting about it.

i don't get it their face or say i'm better. hey, it's their first time and they're in for a heck of a ride. i always hope they enjoy it.

HAHAHAHAHA!! I'm nowhere near an instructor, but I rode up with a guy friend who was doing his first tandem. He kept telling me he was fine, no problem, not a bit nervous. As soon as the door opened I thought he was going to pee himself!! When he landed he threw up all over himself and the instructor. :D:D:D:D

Nah, those "macho" armageddon guys don't bother me....I love being their instructor and seeing the look on their face when I open that door for the first time.>:(

Those are also normally the first ones to cry for their mommy :D That is soo classic...:ph34r:

edited for sucky spelling :D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I hate that sh*t too man. You just know those are the guys who's jump numbers somehow increase dramatically as their car leaves the dropzone... their numbers increase again significantly when they get to a bar... lol... and then the jump number increases a third time if they end up talking to some hottie about it. :D

Seriously though, maybe we really should say something along the lines of "Don't think like that"... you know if they leave thinking they cheated death the way they did. They are one more source of misrepresentation for us. Telling the world how it is... Furthermore, they are a credible source to most whuffos because they have so much more experience than a whuffo... one jump. [:/]

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Those are also normally the first ones to cry for there mommy :D That is soo classic...:ph34r:

Yeah, it's the "out to prove something" "I'm more macho than you" people that annoy me. I give the same level of safety to all of my students, but a student who is respectful will get the bonus package which includes me doing everything I can to calm, ready, and reassure them before it's their turn.

I get what Superman is saying, to a low # jumper, having someone else going on about the end of the world is awfully disconcerting, especially when that student is possibly trying to gather their nerves and readying for their next jump. It's discourteous.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

It's a coping mechanism. They're scared, and the more scared they are, the more juice they've got pumping through them as fast as their terrified little hearts are beating, and the louder it gets.

If they weren't VERY nervous in the first place, it wouldn't be a big deal, so they wouldn't be making a ruckus.

Bravado is not macho - it's fear. So, have a heart, give 'em a handshake, tell 'em they'll be fine...

... unless they get [insert their TM's name] - then they're screwed.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

i think you're misunderstanding me. i'm not ego tripped. I love talking to the first timers about any concerns they might have because, hey, i was there not too long ago (i did my 3rd and last tandem this weekend, on to IAF!!!) but the last thing i like to think about on the DZ is death, so it kinda gets under my skin when a new guy starts shouting about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dude...you ARE a new guy! What can you really tell 1st timers except they are going to have a great time...or maybe not? Try not to get ahead of yourself and hang out and see what teaching is available to you before you start teaching others.

This is a dangerous sport to be in if you have a tendency to act ahead of your game. ~~April~

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!