daytripper419

Vigil II Question

I just sent in my wings to have the cypress pocket exchanged for the vigil pocket. I used the cypress pocket with my vigil II for a year now. Just figured it would be better to have the right one in there. I was wandering if others are doing this or if anyone has noticed any problems using the cypress pocket with the vigil II.

I didn't know there was a difference. I do know that cypres provides the materials to manufacturers for the cypres pocket with the understanding the pocket is to be used for cypres only. Perhaps that is why they offer a vigil pocket. Maybe someone could elaborate on this more.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Unless A.A.D indicates in their installation requirements that a Vigil pocket is required, then one is not required. Since they don't require one, it's up to the Rigger to decide compatibility. I do not believe that Airtec instructions are relevant.

That said, I'm not entirely thrilled with how the Vigil 2 fits in a Cypres pocket. The Vigil is just a hair long and extends outside the boundary of the spandex. Given that it takes a Master Rigger to do the swap, I'm surprised that A.A.D didn't go to the effort to make them more size compatible.

I'm fine installing a Vigil in a Cypres pocket unless A.A.D indicates otherwise, but I would prefer the fit to be a touch tighter.

I do not think the original poster has any reason to swap one for the other.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Congrats for your Vigil II, you just have the most advanced AAD available on the market.
But I think you have maybe wasted your time and money by changing the Cypres pocket already installed in your Wings system. Cypres pocket like the Vigil one is made of Spandex material and both AAD will fit any pocket Vigil or Cypres. But speaking about a Vigil II, do you have the Vigil washer ? The Vigil washer is more easy for the rigger to use when changing the reserve closing loop.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Most riggers cannot tell the difference between a Cypres pocket and a Vigil pocket at arm's length.

Well ... maybe by colour ...

The only reason Airtec (Cypres factory) got upset is because they gave away thousands of free pockets and now the other AAD manufactures (Argus, Astra and Vigil) have a free ride.

If you sent your rig to me for a pocket change, I would return it - unmodified - and tell you to quit wasting my time.

I just sent in my wings to have the cypress pocket exchanged for the vigil pocket. I used the cypress pocket with my vigil II for a year now. Just figured it would be better to have the right one in there. I was wandering if others are doing this or if anyone has noticed any problems using the cypress pocket with the vigil II.

Out of curiosity, did someone suggest the pocket switch for you ? If not, what made you figure that the piece of spandex that was supplied by airtech is not "right" for the VigilII ?

Personally, I have not touched a VigilII yet, but I had no issues using a Cypres pocket for the original Vigil.

tnx

I do not believe that Airtec instructions are relevant.

_Am

Airtec's instructions aren't relevant to the installation of a Vigil. Althought they wanted to be able to 'ban' Vigil's from going in Cypres pockets they realized they couldn't. At least in the U.S. BUT Airtec's instructions ARE relevant to the need to put a Cypres in an AIRTEC pocket. Last I knew, which may have changed, Airtec was still requiring a Cypres pocket for a Cypres.

IN ADDITION, and more important to Airtec, is the need to use an Airtec elastic cutter holder. Kai has told me they consider this to be more important.

A.A.D. has said that their products can be installed in Airtec set ups, originally without asking the H/C manufacturers. I don't remember if there are any left that haven't approved the Vigil (I believe some were Vigil II only) but there were several that were only approved in the last year.

As to changing a Cypres pocket to a Vigil pocket (and I asume the cutter elastic) I agree the OP is wasting their money. And preventing a Cypres from going in it.

Get on the phone and call it off.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There is a difference between pockets. The vigil pocket has a hole in both corners versus just the one for the cypress. The reason myself and my rigger wanted it changed was the way the vigil cables come out. They are not able to flex coming right out of the controller box like the cypress. They are almost like the end of cord that you would plug into your electric guitar instead of a cord that is coming out of an appliance that is flexible right away. The pockets are the same size and fit the same. It is the fact that you have to really bend on the cable to make it work.. Yes it does work but really puts alot of strain on the connections.

I had the same concern when I installed my Vigil II in my Wings. I didn't like the way the cable had to be curved to go inside the pocket.
If you have a chance please post a picture of the instalation with the new pocket
Safe skies
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

But isn't this one of the selling points of a.o. Vigil? They have way stronger cables then CYPRES. Only thing is the connector itself is still similar, as far as I know, also on the Vigil II?

The Argus has the best connector which actually screws tight... (and has better connections, with 3 seperate pins)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I will not be able to take a pic anytime soon as I am just having sunrise repack my reserve while it is there. It would probably be ok but for the measly amount of money it cost's to replace I am thinking it is not a bad call. Again was just curious as to what others have thought about there situation with this. I was curious as to what riggers have thought. And ones that have actually seen a vigil pocket at more than an arm's length beacuse there is a difference.

Hi daytripper,

The vigil pocket has a hole in both corners versus just the one for the cypress.

I don't know about that. I am sitting here at my computer and I have a CYPRES pocket, a Vigil pocket and a ASTRA pocket in front of me. All three have two holes in the far end.

The holes in the Vigil pocket are somewhat different than the holes in the CYPRES pocket and the ASTRA pocket; but they work in the same manner.

Anyone else ???????

JerryBaumchen

Hi Terry,

IN ADDITION, and more important to Airtec, is the need to use an Airtec elastic cutter holder. Kai has told me they consider this to be more important.

Just another case of a drowning man grabbing at a straw.

IMO, this ( and the pocket crap from AirTec ) is nothing more than their trying to keep the competition's sales down. Other people have come into the market with better products ( in some buyer's opinions ) and it is cutting into CYPRES sales. It is called capitalism.

It is an 'elastic' pocket; that means it can accomodate cutters of various diameters. I've used CYPRES elastics and have made my own. IMO, they all work just fine with any cutter I have ever installed.

Just my two cents . . . . .

JerryBaumchen

PS) Bill Booth had it right at PIA/Reno '07 when he said that Sunpath & UPT would merely start making their own pockets ( and I would assume elastics ) for any AAD and if AirTec didn't like it: tough.

I am not a rigger and have only seen my current rig opened twice. I know that the pocket that was in my rig did not allow for the cables to come out without bending them at about a ninety. The pocket I got with my vigil II has holes where they need to be so this does not happen. Maybe I got different pockets or something not sure. I just know that my set-up seemed a little off.