FallinWoman

Where did it go?

>Have you seen the Lexus hybrid? Two electric motors to simulate a V8.

Toyota Highlander will be the same way. The Highlander is also one of the first road-linked hybrids; it will have an independent motor in the rear of the vehicle to provide four wheel drive without additional driveshafts.

road linked is the term for that? heard interesting things (re: good) about both of those cars from toyota mechanics friday night.

I really doubt it is gone. I would suspect the corruption was in there and the tables for these forums were restored first.
The faact the everyone would be ok without it is hardly surprising, afterall you are posting in this forum already, arent' you.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

>road linked is the term for that?

Technically, a road linked parallel hybrid has the gas engine driving the front wheels and the motor/battery system connected to the rear wheels. The only link between the two systems is the road. The Highlander cheats a bit, since the front wheels are driven by a gas engine _or_ an electric motor.

So how do you prevent it from being stolen? It just better be locked?

BMW and Mercedes have had this broadcast FOB design for a few years now. This is nothing new. The broadcast range is only a few feet.

BMW and Mercedes have had this broadcast FOB design for a few years now. This is nothing new. The broadcast range is only a few feet.

Ok so you have a little radio in your pocket and you can only start the thing if the radio is there...

So what happens if you have it running and get out?

Does it open the door as well?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ok so you have a little radio in your pocket and you can only start the thing if the radio is there...

Yup. I know on one version of the Prius you have to place the FOB in the dash to enable the "Power" button, but I don't think that one broadcasts.

So what happens if you have it running and get out?

No idea. Only test drove cars with it and never tried that. Maybe Bill has tried that.

Does it open the door as well?

The salesman told me if you get within roughly two feet of the door it will unlock it.

Technically, a road linked parallel hybrid has the gas engine driving the front wheels and the motor/battery system connected to the rear wheels. The only link between the two systems is the road. The Highlander cheats a bit, since the front wheels are driven by a gas engine _or_ an electric motor.

Sounds like the Toyota engineers are living the good life, able to try just about any new approach they can think of.

I hope they build them quickly so the second generation models will be available by the time my outback gives it up.

Pretty soon all the cars will be locked down with biometrics and/or smart cards. Then car-jackings will increase :D

I looked at the new MS Keyboards with the biometric scanner on it. Wasn't impressed. I really hope that technology is still being worked on.

Isn't a transponder..that thing they use in Star Trek to 'beam you up?':P

Thats a transporter...:D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't a transponder..that thing they use in Star Trek to 'beam you up?'

Thats a transporter...

And what do you think a car is?.....Duh!;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

OK, so say you are driving through South Central LA, and you forgot to pack your 9mm....Can you lock the doors once inside the car to prevent being jacked?

In Reply To

Isn't a transponder..that thing they use in Star Trek to 'beam you up?'

Thats a transporter...

And what do you think a car is?.....Duh!;)

re-read the statement ;) she asked if a transponder was the thing they used to beam you up....transponder and transporter different things ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

OK, so say you are driving through South Central LA, and you forgot to pack your 9mm....Can you lock the doors once inside the car to prevent being jacked?

I'll let ya know the next time I am in SoCal