Buffdiver

PD Pulse

Dave, I think you bring up a very probible issue. I like the fact stateI earlier that you could potentially use the same container throughout several main sizes. i have also always believed that the larger the reserve the better. I want a nice big fluffy canopy over my head when things have gone to sh*t. So the optima in larger sizes is to me the best thing PD has done in quite some time. I just hope that the ST&A's and the DZO's will step up and when some jumper shows up with a reserve that is way too small for there size and skill, they DON'T let them jump it. This single act if done uniformly throughout our community would be the only thing that I can think of to prevent people from doing exactly what you have pionted out. There are alot of ways to save money, lets not get into the habit of jumping a reserve too small to save a few hundred bucks! Our lives are worth more than that.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

That's not only possibility, you can have also different situation with small main and large reserve out. So that sort of disproportion between canopies has been for years... but the other way around
janusz
edit:
now we have just more combinations which can likely occur - that's the only differentce
Back to Poland... back home.

There are alot of ways to save money, lets not get into the habit of jumping a reserve too small to save a few hundred bucks! Our lives are worth more than that.

Damn straight, now if anyone one is looking at selling thier PD106R let me know because i'm after one;).

Seriously, I am, but I would not be over loading it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I'm trying to decide between a Pulse 170 and a Storm 170 to replace my Sabre 170 (my back cant take the abuse from the openings anymore Crazy)

I love my sabre2 but when it opens perfectly on heading I buy a lotto ticket. I'm anxious for a boogie in the spring where I could demo one.

Amen brother. When my sabre2 opens on heading, i almost think somethings wrong! I look up, say huh! and smile.

+1

My Sabre2 opens on heading 9/10 jumps. As soon as it's inflating I grab the risers and steer it if needed. Keeps it perfectly on heading.

Don't let your canopy fly you, fly your canopy.

Also, get better at packing

Contrast that with what you see in the PD video. Poof opens on heading every time. When you have to grab the risers and steer it through the opening I don't consider that an on-heading opening.

-Michael

I don't want to hijack the thread , but all this talk has me thinking, why don't you guys try an Icarus canopy?

Icarus may not throw as many millions of dollars into R&D as PD but thier openings are soft and on heading.

even my loaded JVX opens on heading 9 out of 10 times and I have never had line twists.

In may i will be attending a big way camp and on heading openings are my biggest concern, i will be upsizing from my JVX84 to my icarus 105 that was made in 1993 (icarus model, jyro brand) before Icarus canopies as we know it now, was even started. It opens on heading and relatively soft, not as good as a newer safire or crossfire etc. though but it surprises me that a newer design canopy(sabre2) from the market leaders fails to open on heading more often then not.

but back to the subject at hand...

The low pack volume reserve material on the bottom skin on this PD pulse?... is that not just less expensive F111?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have just ordered a pulse 170 to replace my Spectre 170. I am really looking forward to seeing to see if the smaller pack volume makes the rig look better. Vector V348 as it looks a bit bulky now. I see UPT has also adjusted its sizing chart.

On the air side I am looking forward to the brisker openings I always could depend on my Firelite to open consistantly at the height I wanted. The Spectre was a bit too snively.

Still have to get two daughters thru college first, but I'm dreaming again. Even with my present canopy sizes (188 main/193 reserve), I could go so much smaller and lighter with a new system that would include a Skyhook. Especially if the Pulse is like a Pilot that can actually shut down in no wind.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

While I agree, I hope no instructor will recommend such sizes in a rig to a new jumper. In fact it's been well studied and reported that a main and reserve of vastly different sizes do not behave well together anyway. So I can't say I'd recommend an optimum 120 with a 170 main to anyone - experienced or not.

One nice thing I see from the Optimum being offered in larger sizes is that it could allow some reserves to be upsized.

-Michael

I have similarly disparate main and reserve sizes (larger of the two is 40% larger) but it's the other way around.

When you get down into smaller main sizes nothing is going to play well with them. They are spoiled children. So check your pins, don't dump in the basement, and you won't have to supervise the day care center from hell.

The reason I'm ragging on this argument is because it waters down the real problem: the concept of getting a container to fit your main as long as it has "a" reserve. In reality, you should select your canopies in the opposite order that you intend to use them.

I have 60 jumps on my PD Storm 190 ... I love the openings - gentle enough to not hurt, but it doesn't snivel forever (unlike the demo Safire 2 I jumped before it.)

I agree with the Storm being a great canopy. I have 100 jumps on a spectre and 180 on a Storm and I believe the storm to be a much superior canopy. It has better penetration in the wind and flares fantastic....
MY ONLY DISLIKE is that when brakes are stowed, and right after opening it is very twitchy. And harder to control direction.

Does the Pulse get you back from spots like the Storm. (I imagine not as good, but.?.?.?.)

Much better; the storm isn't really that good at getting you back from a long spot, something like a pulse or pilot or stiletto will get you back much better!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I jumped a 170 (the Pulse) last weekend. Was in a demo rig borrowed from one friend who had it to do night jumps. Another guy (new jumper) had repacked it last so I jumped it to avoid my friend jumping a messed up rig at night. Glad I did...

The canopy opened with one toggle completely unstowed (was packed that way). It hurt a bit-but the canopy opened suprisingly well considering. I was amazed at how clean the inflation was, and once the other toggle was released-how well pressurized and stable the parachute felt.

The canopy flew well on rear risers, had decent range on the toggles. Front riser pressure was extremely high. I think the parachute is a bit "piggish", but very safe. TONS of flare on the bottom end. I personally wouldn't want one- but the opening characterisitics are very forgiving and the parachute would be great for the crowd it is being marketed to. If you want a slow, safe parachute to get you to the ground after an exciting freefall-the Pulse would be a great choice.

I normally jump a steeply trimmed Jedei 150 at 1.5. I like a canopy to do more than the Pulse was designed to. Hope this helps....

Packing was easy and it fit very nicely in a Vector Micron with a Optimum 143.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."