jephprospect

How safe are the Classifieds on DZ.com?

I haven't bought anything from the classifieds but I have sold quite a lot. I also have friends who have purchased using the classifieds without a problem.

Just try and get as much info as you can from the seller. Make sure they give you serial numbers so you can check with the manufacturers if the gear has been reported stolen. If they are not willing to provide you with serial numbers, or any other info you request id be wary.

I would also check how long they've been a member on dz.com and read through their posts. If they're a long time poster you can get a feeling for if they're legit or not. If they're someone who has never posted anything and has only been a member for a week I would also be wary.

Hey folks,

I didn't find anything when I did a search for this so how safe are the classifieds? It seems like every day I see a new scam alert. I'm buying my 1st rig very soon and don't want to get screwed.

Has anyone ever bought rigs off the classifieds? Anybody ever have any issues?

the classifieds are fairly safe as long as you have common sense. I highly recommend getting the seller ON THE PHONE and talk to them. No scammer will ever give you their phone number, nor will the y be able to talk the skydiving lingo.

If you're buying a rig, it might be worth it to use an escrow service to bump up your comfort level. I used escrow.com for the used rig that I just purchased from the classifieds section.

The lower dollar items aren't really worth paying an escrow fee, but it's a nice service to use if you're spending a few thousand dollars.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

how safe are the classifieds?

as safe as their users..

I only had good experiences.

It's a small world, you always know someone who knows someone else... When getting in touch with the seller/buyer, try to get some kind of reference
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I just got my Vector 3 from overseas! I found it on classifieds here.

I agree with all the tips above. Call the seller, ask for pics of the gear, and closed up pics of the labels. Check for his user preferences on DZ.com.

I used a third party rigger I knew from UPT for help. He inspected the gear throughly for 60$, so I knew exactly what shape it was in. When I sent the money to the seller, the rigger sent me the gear.

You should use this method too. The rigger doesn't have to work for the manufacturer, but he must be of your choice.

And always remember the most important rule on classifieds - if it's too good to be true, it probably is. It has saved me from a scam. Oh, and another common scam that someone tried to pull on me is being asked to send some of the money (usually half) up front - it's a sure one.

Good luck!

p.s
If you have any more questions about my purchase, feel free to send me a message.

Hey,

I've had great experiences with the classys. I've bought and sold quite a few things. I bought my first rig, second canopy, jumpsuits, sold jumpsuits, canopies altimeteres etc.

There's a certain amount of common sense you ca use. I recommend these things:

-Ask questions (specific ones)
-Size, serial number, wear and tear etc...very specific.
-Ask for more pictures. This ensures they actually have the rig. As for something like a picture of just the serial number etc.

-Call them. Each item I've bought or sold, I have spoken with the buyer/seller. Often, this can help you get a better deal too.

It's no different than buying a car from someone. Ask questions, try to find out as much as possible, protect YOURSELF.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

DZ.com classifieds are no different then any other classifieds out there. Use common sense, know what you are buying. Skydiving is a tightly knit community; if whoever is selling is a skydiver then someone out there knows him/her, if they are not then they shouldn't be selling anything here. Call riggers, call DZs, get references. Use rigger services. Trust your gut feelings, if something doesn't feel kosher - walk away. Finally an oldie but a goodie - if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

P.S. i bought my rig on here (Container, reserve, AAD). Paid money up front, but then the person I bought from was reputable and experienced skydiver.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

And stay away from anyoneone mentioning Western Union.

and on this note please also don't take all the advice you take from the internet as valid.

I have sold a few rigs to guys in Thailand who used WU. I have also been paid by WU from Belarus, Russia, and UK. If I would have been as close minded as Remster suggests, I would not have made those sales.

WU is a great tool - just make sure to use it properly.

Let me explain :
To verify that you in fact did get paid GO TO THE WESTERN UNION OFFICE and CASH those checks. Once you got COLD HARD CASH - then you can ship the product.

What SCAMMERS would want you to do is ship the gear immediately following receipt WU checks in the mail (which are either fake, or like I had in one case real checks that had a stop payment on them).

Like the posters above said - USE COMMON SENSE. But don't be narrow minded.

I haven't bought anything on here, but I have friends who have with no problems. As others have said, use common sense.
Have you read through the scam forum? Most of those are so obvious my mother wouldn't fall for them.

Having a rigger who you trust inspect the gear is more common sense. If it's someone the seller knows/trusts too, then he can function as an escrow. You send the money when he says the rig is ok. You don't get the rig until the seller gets the money. Simple and safe. This community is small enough that finding a rigger or DZO that you both know (or know someone who knows) shouldn't be all that hard.

There was a pretty good discussion of that process
Here

and Here

Saerch "rigger as escrow" and you'll get a lot more.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm buying my 1st rig very soon and don't want to get screwed.

Not to generalize too much but it seems that very often the people who get screwed are brand-new jumpers who want very very very much to get their first set of gear, and are sometimes sooooo excited to do that they overlook rather obvious signs that something's not right with the transaction. New jumpers are also the least likely to have connections within the sport that can be used to validate a seller's credentials, so they just hope that the person is legit.

There's been some great advice on how to avoid scammers, here - the big thing to remember is don't let your excitement about what seems like the perfect rig for you blind you to common sense. That goes farther than scams, though - make sure that you're consulting with people you trust locally (instructors, riggers, senior jumpers at your DZ) when you evaluate a piece of gear and whether it's right for you. When I bought my first rig 4 years ago I had people looking at the classifieds with me to say "nope, move on from that one" and "yeah, that does look like a great deal." It made me more comfortable moving forward with my purchase. So be patient and be smart and ask the right questions.

I put my first rig together largely through the dropzone.com classifieds - container and reserve from an individual jumper, used main from a dealer (but I did put out a "wanted" classified here that prompted the gear store to contact me), and my AAD new from another dealer.

I've since made several other purchases here on DZ.com from individual jumpers - my second main, an altimeter, an audible, and pilot chutes. All transactions have gone smoothly. I've also sold my original main on here and the transaction couldn't have been easier - the jumper arranged for his rigger to play middleman (and it was really easy for me to agree to that since I knew the rigger myself).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I guess a newbie has to also realize the levels of getting screwed

you can get scammed out of your $$$
you can be sold gear that is not good for you (doesn't fit, canopies too small/big)
you can be sold gear that's not good for anyone (outdated, has service bulletins, just old/ragged out/unsafe)

Don't think that the gear is "good" just because it fits you - an old Vector1 w/ 5 cell Swift Reserve and a ragged out Maverick main can be advertised as good beginner gear, but it's very far from what most people would call "good beginner gear".

use common sense and good luck