wildcard451

Weird Internet Woes

Aight, I'm not one to post to ask for IT help, but I'm kinda baffled here. I am able to browse dz.com. My AIM still works. However, can't load Gmail, cnn, yahoo, google, or most any other website. I've cleared everything that I can. Checked my router and nothing is being blocked. I've reset the router, including password.

I've tried in both IE and Mozilla and there is no difference in sites that can be loaded. It's really kinda annoying as hell.

Any ideas? Oh yeah, same thing happened this time around last night.

Nope, everything in the host file is as it should be.

I called up Comcast, cause this same thing happened last night at the exact same time. Last night they said they were having a service outage.
Tonight's message said the same thing. However, in talking to tech support I found out that they have hasd this same issue for the past 4 nights in a row. At the exact same time.

Fuck comcast.

Have you tried rebooting? I had similar problems just now and rebooting fixed it. If you have automatic updates turned on, I believe that there was a windows XP update run today and I think this may have had something to do with it.

Or maybe it's just comcast...

Its a comcast problem "nation wide" according to their tech spt message mail. Third time this week.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Ah, the trouble I go through just to get a fix of dz.comB|

I agree ... this site is way too addictive, wonder what HH puts in this stuff ... must be subliminal boobies or something ;)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Well, it's comcast. Nationwide DNS server outage

I can feel your pain. A while back I simply made a standalone bookmark list (html page) of all my favorite links using the IP addy instead of the domain name. Then I'm able to very easily and quickly get to the sites I go to every day without a hassle during DNS outages and when the DNS servers get slammed hard and start timing out.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Don't know what all that is about...just wanted to say hi to my former roomie and hope rounds and stuff are going well. I watch Greys Anatomy and think of you :P. Look forward to seeing you again sometime :)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Well, it's comcast. Nationwide DNS server outage

And easily 'fixed' by finding some public DNS servers. ;)

Edit: Since I've been asked how to do this: (Instructions for Windows users. Mac users, you're on your own. Unix/Linux users, if you can't figure it out perhaps you should be running Windows.)

Control Panel - Network Connections - Properties - TCP/IP

"Use the following DNS server addresses"

I chose the following:

-
Good luck and don't come crying to me when breaks. :) (But it works for now)

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Here's a non-public DNS serve you can use as well...its the ISP I used to work for:

I've had them added to my list for years due to Cox sucking goat dick and their DNSes timing out all the time.

Even still I maintain my bookmark list with IPs just incase.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."