Marc11

What's wrong with my PC?

Ok I don't know much about how the kill-line PC works, but this is what happened today and what is wrong with my PC:

I was packing my rig and I cocked my pilot chute but it felt a little weird when I cocked it because the bridle would scrunch up really easily. So I let go of the pilot chute a few feet over the ground to see if it would catch air and it did so I figured it would be fine and finished packing and hopped on the plane.

Come time to pull, I pitched the PC and nothing happened so I looked behind me and it looked like I had a PC in tow. I'm guessing something happened which made my pilot chute un-cock itself between when I was packing and when it was behind me (maybe the wind caused it to un-cock instead of catch the air and pull the D-bag out?). So I grabbed my bridle and gave it a good yank to get the D bag out of the container. Besides the ridiculously hard opening with line twists (which I'm assuming happened due to the weird deployment), everything was fine.

As of right now, I still can't cock my pilot chute normally and I'm wondering what is wrong with the bridle/d-bag/pilot chute that would cause the cocking stuff to be messed up? Or should I just take it to my rigger and have him look at it?

I attached a couple pictures of the system in case any of you can spot what is wrong and it is a quick, easy fix that would allow me to avoid having to take it to my rigger. The first pic is just the bridle with me pointing at something that looks like it is in the wrong place and the second pic of my D-bag.

Thanks and once again, sorry for my lack of knowledge with the whole kill-line PC system!

EDIT: If the pictures are unclear and you need any more, please let me know!

In picture 001 you see the yellow section near the bag? That is supposed to go through the grommet in the bag. A rapid link goes in the loops around the kill line through the yellow part.

The bridle goes through the d-bag and "locks" in place. That is what helps the kill line work.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok thanks for the help!

By the way, I LOVE that quote you have!! After seeing the edited version of that movie, my friend and I would always be like "do you see what happens Larry? do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?!" and we didn't think anyone thought the editing job in that part of the movie was as hilarious as we did! haha

In picture 001 you see the yellow section near the bag? That is supposed to go through the grommet in the bag. A rapid link goes in the loops around the kill line through the yellow part.

The bridle goes through the d-bag and "locks" in place. That is what helps the kill line work.

this seems like the correct answer but it would be strange for the link to come out unless it was unscrewed for quite some time - unless someone purposely removed it
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Well, your experience will make a really good story down the road when you're an experienced jumper.

You managed to find a situation where floating the PC through the air on the packing mat doesn't detect whether it will stay inflated in freefall.

For the moment though, nice job getting a canopy out.

Reaching behind you is never recommended -- one can waste a lot of time or half hitch the bridle around one's wrist. Still, I bet more than a few experienced jumpers would do the same thing, for one try before going to reserve.

When it came to rigging that PC, something got seriously missed! (Edit: assuming the link didn't loosen, open up, and fall out, which is unlikely but possible.)

I once walked by a novice finishing packing his first rig for the first time. Nobody was watching out for him as he had jumped the rig already, but it had been else's pack job.

I casually asked if he had cocked the pilot chute properly. He responded, "Did WHAT to the pilot chute?"

Uh-oh. He hadn't known about cocking collapsible pilot chutes. He hadn't known he needed to ask more questions, and some knowledge just hadn't made its way to him from other more experienced jumpers.

It was something that fell out in between jumps because my pilot chute cocked fine for the previous 2 jumps.

I looked up what a rapid link is and if you look in picture 002, it looks as if the rapid link is right there (kinda on the left side of the picture). However, there is a ring just to the left of the rapid link that doesn't seem to be doing much. Is there something that is supposed to attached to that ring that maybe fell off between jumps?

It was something that fell out in between jumps because my pilot chute cocked fine for the previous 2 jumps.

I looked up what a rapid link is and if you look in picture 002, it looks as if the rapid link is right there (kinda on the left side of the picture). However, there is a ring just to the left of the rapid link that doesn't seem to be doing much. Is there something that is supposed to attached to that ring that maybe fell off between jumps?

There should be two rapid links on the bridle. The one you have connects the bridle and kill line to the canopy. The yellow loops you are pointing to into the first picture should be inside the bag and have a second link through them to keep them from being pulled back through the grommet. That second link regulates the amount of slack on the section of bridle inside the bag, allowing the pilot chute to cock and collapse normally.

Normally, the canopy coming out of the bag allows the slack to be taken out of the section of bridle inside the bag, causing the pilot chute to collapse. Without the link, the bridle will likely pull out of the bag enough to collapse the pilot chute before the canopy is out of the bag, leading to a possible PC in tow or baglock malfunction. I had the same thing happen to me once when a worn loop failed and the link slipped off, allowing the PC to collapse before the canopy came out of the bag. I towed it for a couple of seconds, then it cleared on its own.

The circular metal ring is there to keep canopy material from being pulled through the grommet on the bag if you use a non-collapsible pilot chute.

this seems like the correct answer but it would be strange for the link to come out unless it was unscrewed for quite some time - unless someone purposely removed it

I agree, although I'm willing to bet that the jumper assembled that part of his gear himself and didn't know about the rapid link. I'm also willing to bet that the gear was brand new and the bridle was stiff enough to simply function normally with the missing part for a jump or two.

:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi, Check page 24 of this manual:
http://www.miragesys.com/media/manuals/G3ContainerManual.pdf
Assemble the system like shown, test it on the ground and have your rigger to inspect before you jump it again.
You won't be able to larks head the bridle to the canopy due to the small loop of the bridle but you can use the rapid link as you already did on pic 002 (or add an extension and remove the link later, check with your rigger).
Don't take it directly to your rigger without trying to assemble it, this is a valuable opportunity for you to get a better understanding about your own gear.
Safe skies

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I took this from Omega's owner’s manual and put it into a single pdf file. It should help you understand assembling and also how the system works.
You can simulate PC collapsing by pulling your cocked PC by its base (where the bridle meets the PC) until the canopy is out of the bag. You'll see the kill line pulling the center of the fabric until the security line is fully extended. You can repeat this as many times as you want with the canopy still out of the bag: step on the bag, cock the PC then step on the canopy and pull the PC at the junction with the bridle.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Well I'm willing to bet what fell out was your total lack of understanding of how your gear works and how to hook it up the right way. I'm also willing to bet that you didn't ask a rigger to look at your work or who ever "hook it up" for you and their work.

And with out so much of a basic understanding how it works or what the fuck your doing in rigging your gear the right way you went out and jumped it assuming everything was done right......Till it failed to do so and then you assume that it had to be something that "fell out" and not your fucked up'ed rigging work.

If you continue down this path & way of thinking you will be dead one day!

A lot of way more experianced people have died from a simple "little" mistake in rigging, read up on Patrick De Gayardon's death for one example, there are many more to choose from.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Well I'm willing to bet what fell out was your total lack of understanding of how your gear works and how to hook it up the right way. I'm also willing to bet that you didn't ask a rigger to look at your work or who ever "hook it up" for you and their work.

And with out so much of a basic understanding how it works or what the fuck your doing in rigging your gear the right way you went out and jumped it assuming everything was done right......Till it failed to do so and then you assume that it had to be something that "fell out" and not your fucked up'ed rigging work.

A lot of way more experianced people have died from a simple "little" mistake in rigging, read up on Patrick De Gayardon's death for one example, there are many more to choose from.

All fine and dandy and probably true, but you my friend are an asshole
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

You want to pussyfoot around with something like this? It's effing dangerous playing with gear without understanding it and what you're doing. People have DIED doing that. Newer jumpers or any jumper really should get their new gear to a rigger to see it is assembled right BEFORE jumping it, or at the least get it checked over by an experienced jumper, otherwise you'll get questions like: "Hey I got 35 jumps, I just assembled my own new main, packed it, jumped it, turned out it was hooked up backwards, so I chopped it, question, what did I do wrong?!?" And that's a real thread on here somewhere. If you think someone is an asshole for pointing out that jumping with that mindset isn't going to lead to a long safe jumping career, then you haven't been jumping long enough and not seen enough.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

First of all no need to be such a dick. Can you not address the situation in a reasonable manner like everyone else did? Secondly, the first thing I did when I bought my rig (used) was get an I&R on not only the reserve, but the main as well. Due to my lack of knowledge of how every component works, I didn't know if he had skipped anything in the inspection or whatnot. That being said, this probably could have all been avoided by me knowing more about how my rig works. I will take this as not only a learning experience, but a kick in the ass telling me to gain a better understanding of how the components of my rig work before something little that could have been avoided goes wrong again.

Try RTFM and people won't make comments dick headed or not, about your dumbass jumping habits and call you out on it when you post on the internet asking for online, after the fact rigging instructions for something so basic ...... Think before you leap!

And if you really paid for an I&R, I highly advise you to seek another rigger for the next one.

One of the biggest problems in the sport today is all the morons we have running around who don't know shit about their rigs and how they work or even how to pack them other then handing out 5 dollar bills and 50 bucks for a reserve repack.

If your a noobie and you buy a rig, then you better know damn good and well how to use it and do basic shit like hook up your pilot chute BEFORE YOU JUMP IT or you might die!!!

Now back to your regular non dick headed touchy feely patchouli wearing tree hugging bullshit programing.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Try RTFM and people won't make comments dick headed or not, about your dumbass jumping habits and call you out on it when you post on the internet asking for online, after the fact rigging instructions for something so basic ...... Think before you leap!

And if you really paid for an I&R, I highly advise you to seek another rigger for the next one.

One of the biggest problems in the sport today is all the morons we have running around who don't know shit about their rigs and how they work or even how to pack them other then handing out 5 dollar bills and 50 bucks for a reserve repack.

If your a noobie and you buy a rig, then you better know damn good and well how to use it and do basic shit like hook up your pilot chute BEFORE YOU JUMP IT or you might die!!!

Now back to your regular non dick headed touchy feely patchouli wearing tree hugging bullshit programing.

My apologies o wise one, what FJC teaches you how to assemble your main? Which one teaches you how to put your main on the risers, or how the s-links work? While we are at it, what was the last time you looked at the inner-workings of your AAD, was it put together correctly?
Most of the things about our gear we learn gradually. People show us, explain, point what doesnt look right - we learn.

Here is an advice, you want to scold a new skydiver and call them an idiot? Do it privately, because these kind of replies discourage others from asking questions, which is not a good thing.

If you think someone is an asshole for pointing out that jumping with that mindset isn't going to lead to a long safe jumping career, then you haven't been jumping long enough and not seen enough.

I think people are assholes because of their actions, not whether what they say is right or wrong.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

dear Opinionated Statostar.

just what percentage of new jumpers with 42 jumps know how to hook up their pilot chute ? And overall, last I checked most modern gear has the PC sewn on the bridle, and the bridle attaches to the canopy. Is it common sense ? Well yeah, if you have been doing it a bunch of times. If you have never looked at it, it may seem a bit more complex.

as tbrown is calling everyone SKYGOD for telling people to do a search - YOU my friend are right now acting like one.

I will be happy to admit that at 42 jumps while I had a basic idea about how my gear worked and was configured, I certainly had not a fucking clue/skill to put a canopy on risers and be convinced that I did it right.

these strong comments are often born from past experiences -like performing emergency care on a broken body that is barely alive - knowing that there is virtually no hope but trying any way, watching the eyes glaze over and the blood stop flowing, then having to work a death scene, having cops doing crazy stuff, the FAA around, the DZ shut down, and last but definitely the worst - having to call the loved ones and explain everything again and again all because of something stupid that was easily avoided

{Parents} I'm sorry to tell you that your son died today in a skydiving accident - he made a mistake with his gear and hit the ground

stop and think about the pain you create for the survivors and then you might just slow down a little, get your gear checked, not jump in marginal conditions, understand what you are doing, maybe not downsize so quick - etc.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

This is a bit of deja-vu for me. I was probably on my 10-15th jump on my 1st rig when I found the same problem with my kill line while packing my 2nd jump of the day. Someone at the DZ gave me a rapide link and helped me hook it up and I kept jumping.

I still don't know how the link that was there disappeared. I am sure it was there, I got the rig used with the bag hooked up, had a rigger help me hook it up to my 1st canopy, jumped it quite a few times, and yet it was gone when I landed from a jump. I can only assume it was loose and worked its way off and I never noticed it working its way off.

I still remember looking at the bridle just like in your pic and trying to figure out what the hell was wrong.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

You know sometimes it pay's to have a rigger inspect your gear, the whole system, not just your reserve.

Don't they do that anyways? At least Mine does, thankfullly!

It's not normally part of the reserve pack job to do anything with the main, your rigger doesn't even need to have the main at all. My riggers all charge extra for a main inspection, but if you have a specific question like the O.P. has they will gladly help.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.