nael

Scuba diving then skydiving

My boyfriend has booked us in for a scuba lesson this Sunday and I want to jump on Monday (3 day weekend!). Keeping in mind that because it's just our first lesson we won't be going very deep, is it ok to jump the day after scuba diving?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

If you jump I would jump in the afternoon and not the morning. Give yourself as much time as possible. Not sure what a doc would say about this, but perhaps going on a run and getting the O2 flowing through your blood system would help out too. Dunno about that.

Good luck! SCUBA kicks ass.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

If you run out of air your'e fucked

hehe my boyfriend said the exact same thing to me last night. Thanks for the link, it was very informative.

I don't think I want to risk jumping, the bends sounds horrible. Looks like no jumping this weekend. [:/]

Not a good idea...no matter how deep you are going, I wouldn't skydive the next day. It is recommended that you not fly commercially for a period of 12-24 hours after your last dive, and a commercial flight is a pressurized cabin...skydiving is worse.

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer! :P

Depending on who you talk to, the amount of time you should wait between scuba diving and skydiving is 12, 18, or 24 hours. If you're doing multiple dives to 30m+, wait 24 hours.

Are you doing a Discover Scuba dive or the first weeekend of an Open Water course?

If it's a Discover Scuba dive, I don't think you go deeper than 10m. 12 hours would be plenty.

However, if you're doing an Open Water course, I don't think you go deeper than a couple of meters on your first weekend. You do all your work in a swimming pool, or just off a beach! 12 hours would be fine too.

If it's the second weekend of the course, with the Open Water dives, you'll not be going below 18m. In fact, you're unlikely to go down more than 10-15m. 12 hours would probably be fine, and 18 would almost certainly be ok. 24 if you're paranoid.

If you want a second opinion, give Git a call. He does a lot of scuba diving - far more than I do.

Thanks dave but I'm scared of the bends now! I'll just sit this weekend of jumping out. Steve didnt want to jump this weekend anyway, so now I don't have to talk him into it!

I will definately talk to git about it next time at the dz though, I know Nicole and Phil do a lot of scuba too so I will talk to them too.

Have fun if you're jumping!

Ask the inst if you could use nitroz...lol probably not but it shortens the time. Not as much O2 going through your body. use the 36 mix..Ok i was just trying to be smart:P Seriously, in a pool you will not be breathing that much. Most of it is taught on top of the water. You may be subject to 30 minutes max with the tanks depending how quick you learn. !2 hours you will be ok. I used to teach saturday afternoons and jump sunday. It was normally about 15 hours in between never had any problemsa except for the twitches and burst lung but thats just a coincedence..lol Be safe, if nothing else wait 24 hours ease of mind:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

You can call DAN for the 'best' answer. They've been doing a lot of chamber ride experiments the past few years to try to improve upon the very vague WAGs that gave us 12, then 24, and now 18 hours.

But bear in mind that a long shallow dive may be worse than a shorter deep one. A deep dive is limited by the 'fast' tissues, which also offgas very quickly. Discovery dives are supposed to be limited to 40ft, and your breathing rate will probably make it decently short. But...

I'm comfortable flying 18-20 hours later, but as others noted, skydiving in an open cabin isn't really the same.