rocketdog

Tattoos on feet..... ?

I was considering getting a golf ball-sized tattoo on the instep of my foot (offset towards the arch a little). my friend has one & said it was no big deal, the tattoo artist said "feet are tough!"

........help me out here......... any experiences?

thanks! :S
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

The back is one of the most painful places.

The only tats I have are on my back, I didn't think they really hurt that much...actually I really enjoyed getting them.:)

As do I, but compared to the rest of the body, (from tattoo artists with many years of experience) I've been told it's one of if not thee most painful place. Whether it hurt you or not though, is a whole different thing. :D

Ah the rest of the body.

If it wasn't for seriously limiting my career choices, I'd probably have a LOT more tats all over my body, arms, etc.

Tats are fun and tell your story.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Feet fade fast and sometimes don't hold ink well.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to get through but if you really want it there, you will be happy you tolerated a little pain for the longterm benefit.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

hey. I have smiley faces on the bottoms of my toes, and I love them, but yes, anything you put on the bottom of your foot you're going to have to get touched up. And not after a few years, after the first time it heals. It was worth it for me because the tattoos have personal significance (we used to draw smileys on our toes before running cross country meets), but I did loose some of the little eyes the first time, and I'm getting them touched up on wednesday.

As for the pain factor, toes might be worse than the insole of your foot, but it was (and will be on wednesday) a very excruciating experience! My other tattoos really didn't hurt me, but after getting my toes done my whole back was sweaty and I was shaking. I couldn't even hold my foot still because it would involuntarily spasm from the pain. Ouch! I may just be a baby about my toes, but otherwise I have a pretty high pain threshold.

Good luck if you decide to do it, and post pics!
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

I have many on my arms and chest. Cant speak for the pain on the back.

I can say that any time the needle comes near the armpit or the collar bone
its pretty damn painful. Not enough to keep me from getting more though.

The elbow is pretty hard too. Feels like they are nailing that nerve and you are getting a massive electrical shock :-)
__

My mighty steed

the most painfull / uncomfortable places to get tattoo'd are the Neck, Rib Cage, and shallow flesh to bone area's, IMO... i have 9 tattoos currently

The guy that does my work is pretty much covered head to foot and he agrees with your claim of rib cage as being the most painful.
__

My mighty steed

i agree with AD...most feet (not ankle) tats I've seen have faded faster than other parts.

tops of the toes are the most likely to fade...and I'm totally surprised at brierebecca's bottom of toes (that's cool girl - I want to see!!)

feet shed skin faster than most other parts of the body...and as such - you'll be losing layers of "protection" on top of your tattoo. Exposure to sun etc will speed the fading process. Be mindful of these things.

HOWEVER, I'm a firm believer...if it means something to you - get it done - and don't worry about the consequences!!! After all - it need only make sense to you!!! (and if it does fade away after a couple (10!) years - then you'll have had it, and you can decide to re-touch, or leave. nothing ventured, nothing gained!):)

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

tops of the toes are the most likely to fade...and I'm totally surprised at brierebecca's bottom of toes (that's cool girl - I want to see!!)

well, shtanks. The skin on the bottom of your feet is tough and doesn't hold ink well, but it's been totally worth it to be able to look down and see my smileys. It conjures up memories of 18 minute 5Ks...sigh....

If you want to see, Travis and I will be at the swoop meet at the farm not this weekend, but next weekend.:)
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Spidermonky -- VERY cool pic... tell your girlfriend to get on here & tell me how much it hurt.

i agree, if i *really* want it, i'll get it. however, if its extremely painful to get the original tattoo, it would make me that much more squeam-ish to go back and CONSTANTLY get it touched up.

btw: how often do they usually need touched up? years? months?

THANKS ALL!
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

the most painfull / uncomfortable places to get tattoo'd are the Neck, Rib Cage, and shallow flesh to bone area's, IMO... i have 9 tattoos currently

I've always thought the inside of the upper arm and the achilles tendon would be the worst, just because those are the two most painful places to get pinched.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was considering getting a golf ball-sized tattoo on the instep of my foot (offset towards the arch a little). my friend has one & said it was no big deal, the tattoo artist said "feet are tough!"

........help me out here......... any experiences?

thanks! :S
~hollywood

Well, as a guy with a foot fetish, I'm undecided about liking tattoos on feet (I'm talking about strictly from an aesthetic, "do I like the way they look" perspective). On the one hand, I'm fascinated by adorned feet, but on the other, I am a purist and want to see the feet in their plain nakedness with nothing distracting from what they are and how they look.

Is your question more about the "is it painful, and is it worth the pain" aspect? I'm sorry I'm no good for answering that, except to say that I was hearing from other people very recently in a different forum on this very subject, and the response was...mixed. Some said yeah it's really painful, and others said not so bad. But I'm confused: do you mean on the TOP of your foot (the "instep") or the BOTTOM (the sole, the arch)? I think that would make a lot of difference, depending.

From back when I was a kid, I've liked tattoos. I loved to get temporary ones and put them on my arms. Since I liked feet, too, I imagined (got this crazy idea in my head) that I was gonna get blue stars tattooed on the sole of my right foot when I was old enough. It would symbolize this spiritual connection I felt with feet.

I really feel that the feet are sort of conduits to the soul. When you think about it, you realize that so much of how we feel can be associated with our feet -- even dependent on our feet. They can receive lots of pleasure, and also lots of pain; when they're warm and cozy, so are we. When they're uncomfortable, our whole body is uncomfortable. They are so linked with our souls, I feel.

Well, as I got older, I went through certain spiritual/mystical changes of mind about tattoos. Specifically, I don't want a tattoo that someone else (some professional tattoo artist I don't know or care about) putting something on me that's permanent. My thinking came to be that if I ever get a tattoo, it will be because I somehow come upon the knowledge and skill to be able to tattoo myself. I admit that it's not likely to happen, unfortunately. But I would like a tattoo... so instead, to act as a symbol for this connection I feel with feet, I wear a silver toe ring.

Brierebecca, I would love to see your toe tattoos. That is truly fascinating. You are the only person I have ever heard of who has had that done! Amazing. And the fact that you endured what sounds like maddening pain in order to get them... that's so cool! Tell me, was it more than you bargained for? Were you kinda taken by surprise when it began, and worried about being able to get through it? Was someone with you when you got it done, to clench their hand against the pain? I'd like to hear more about the experience you had with it. Thanks for sharing your story. :)
Blue skies,
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

The back is one of the most painful places.

I have one on my lower back...and as a person who absolutely hates needles...it really wasn't that bad...
"His dick is ringing!" Female Skydiver

"Well...answer it!!!" Male Skydiver