ChasingBlueSky

Motorcycle Safety class....

Ugh...every class until October is FULL within a three hour drive of Chicago!!! Well, the free ones are. Looks like I may need to drop $300 on one of the private classes.

Do it... I'm taking one later this month. It's costing about $200, but I'm sure it will be well worth it :)

I do have the option of riding the bench at one of the locations on Sat morning. IF someone misses their spot, I can have it. I'm starting to think the safe bet is to drop the cash.

Fuck that. Grab your buddies bike, helmet, put on some jeans, and learn the hard way. :P

Not really, take a course, and grow eyes in the back of your head.

You will never realize how many morons are trying to kill you until you ride a bike.:S

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

I HIGHLY recommend taking this course. Try crashing it. Usually they are very strict about being on time. Show up early talk to an instructor and let them know you want to crash it. (the course, not their bikes). Here in CA the course takes the place of a DMV driving test and it costs $250 or so.

JAMES

Fuck that. Grab your buddies bike, helmet, put on some jeans, and learn the hard way. :P

Not really, take a course, and grow eyes in the back of your head.

You will never realize how many morons are trying to kill you until you ride a bike.:S

.jim

Already do. Had a Chevy Baretta plow thru me my senior year of high school while on a side street.

The course is mandatory for me (personal choice) before I get my bike. I guess that makes me course dependant?:o:ph34r:

Bo you would be suprized at how many people actually do get in doing a walk in. When I took the course a few years back I had put in my application the day reg started in feb or march (cant remember which month it was) and I ended up with class being the end of July. They fill quick. I would try at least one or two weekends to see if you can get in.

It is worth the attempt...just my .02 anyway.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Yeah - if the weather looks like rain for a weekend - have a rain suit on hand and wait for no-shows to well..not show. You'ld be amazed how many people drop out at the first hint of a sprinkle or two. Kind of funny since that's the best time to do the course, not only are you learning how to ride, but you're learning how to ride in the rain.

I ended up setting a local record on a Honda 125 for the timed long sweeping turn - 2.5 seconds - did my best Duhamel impression hanging off the side and trying to drag a knee ;)

Oh and dont forget, you are learning to ride in the rain on someone elses bike!!! :D:D:D:D so it doesnt mean a damn thing if you dump it by accident :D:D:D:D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If you are planning on buying a new bike, you might visit the dealer you plan on buying from and mention that you would like to purchase the bike now, but you will have to wait until taking the course. You might be surprised at how the rules can get bent a little when a sale is contingent on the course, especially if it's a dealer who sponsors the course.

I took one at a local college for $54. There was no way I was going to pay what a dealer wanted to charge ($300).

However, that being said...I'd recommend showing up at a class and hope for a no-show first before dropping the $300 on a class from the dealer. You'd be surprised at the number of people that either don't show or are late (and when they're late, the instructor usually turns them away). And, if that doesn't work out, try what was recommended just a post or so up - tell the dealer you'd buy now but need to wait for the class as you can't "afford" ;) the $300. You'd be amazed at how much they'll go out of the way to get you into the class "at no charge" if you buy right now.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Something else that will help you out a LOT is a book called "Proficent Motorcycling."

Buy it and read it twice, its worth the $20.

-By David Hough

Funny you mentioned this book. I have it sitting right next to me. I bought it a few weeks ago for my S.O. before she starts her MSF Course next month. I'd recommend it to anyone who rides a bike regardless of experience.

Send me a PM and let me know if that $54 class was in the area Cora - even if it is in WI.

I'm going to try the no-show thing a few times to see if I get in.

Taking the safe approach on this entire thing - planning on the course and getting leather or other protective gear before I purchase the bike. Besides, I won't have the rest of that disposable income to mid summer. (I'll get that book as well) Also, I am going used - this will be my first bike and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on something I may dump due to inexperience. I'm looking at cruisers in the 750 range - after I'm used to that I will go bigger!:)

Hey Cora, once I get it, I'm gonna need someone to roll with.

Three great bits of advice that a guy gave me when I started riding motorcycles in the days before they had lessons and special license endorsements:

1) You are entirely invisible to all cars, except the ones that want to intentionally run over you.

2) There are gremlins in the road. They wait until you aren't paying close attention, then put sand, oil, holes, uneven pavement, or some other hazard under you.

3) The driver on the road who is most likely to hurt you is yourself. If you ever get the feeling that you have become a great motorcycle rider, get off ... and don't get back on until you fully realize that you never will be.

Also, I am going used - this will be my first bike and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on something I may dump due to inexperience.

:D ;)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Oregon's 'Team Oregon' which is our motorcycle safety program, the beginner is $95 and the intermediate through advanced is $65

;)

Yup it's a job, but more like playing for money.... best job ever!

Something else that will help you out a LOT is a book called "Proficent Motorcycling."

Buy it and read it twice, its worth the $20.

I agree...and there's also Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist volume I and II...

Those books are invaluable...