billvon

XM radio

I have been waiting for the start up price to drop a little and 89/9$ seems fair. The car units are still a little more expensive though.

How about the talk radio, what shows? G. Gordon Liddy show? Savage Nation? Houston has crap for talk radio.........Well, most all radio in Houston is crap!:|

Go to http://www.xmradio.com and click on Programming....you'll find everything that's on..

Mike

I got this about a month ago since I recently took a job that keeps me on the road for 50% of my week....

I have not bought a CD since...

This is definately not for everyone, but if you like a variety of different music and cant stand DJ's or ad's (I hate them) then it is DEFINATELY WORTH IT!

And the Delphi Boombox is a definate travel companion now for the DZ.... listen while I pack and edit tandem vid's... and for hanging by the fire pit at night.

Since our DZ is far away from any descent free radio stations... this is perfect (plus you get unlimited listening for the same $9.99/month)

Sold on XM!

:)

i know it's not available in canada for regulatory reasons, but can anyone tell me what the coverage is like north of the border? i'm on the east coast if it makes any difference.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

thinkin about getting this, question - if i get the portable version with the adapter to install in the car, how is it gonna sound? remember years ago when you could get this cheesy cassette tape thing to play your cd player through, it was aweful...don't wanna go there again, and that's exactly what it looks like on the xm website.

appreciate the info

the adapter for the car has an FM transmitter on it, and let u connect to like 6 or 8 different frequencies. It works great. sounds just like listening to FM radio, just 99.9% of the time u get an incredible signal. every once and awhile when u go under bridges, or stop next to LARGE buildings, it will blur out a bit. but thats the signals fault not the FM transmitter
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

i love my xm. mine is fm modulated, as well, and it sounds great. the only time i notice i lose my signal is in parking garages.

i'm not sure if this is something new or i was just oblivious, but if you subscribe to xm, you can also log in and listen to it online, which is great for me because i don't have the portable unit, so this allows me to listen at work and at home through my computer!

I was thinking of getting one because they feature(d) the best shows from Real Radio in Orlando. Can any XM user tell me if they're still playing Monsters of the Midday, Jim Philips and Drew Garrabo on (I think) 152?

on 152 they still have the monsters in the morning and three hour of jim philips, but between them they put on tony kornhieser and g. gordon liddy. in the evening they have phil hendrie. this is a pretty crappy line up for an extreme talk channel. g. gordon liddy belongs on one of the many political talk channel, and tony kornholer belongs on one of the 30 or so sports channel. phil hendrie just sucks. monsters and jim philips are the only things that really fit the description of the channel and there is only one other channel that provides this type of content. channel 202 plays opie and anthony live once every weekday morning and then rerun the show all day long. howard stern signed a contract with serius and starts sometime in 2006 so i think i'm going to switch.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I tried XM a few years ago in a rental car.

My first thoughts were that we loved the variety of channels, but found that most of the channels themselves had relatively short playlists, to the point that each channel would get repeditive and we'd have to change channels.

Is that still the case? Short playlists are our biggest frustrations with public radio stations, we've avoided satalite so far for that same reason.

Thoughts?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

No doubt on the repetitive stuff especially with the Top 40 stuff which they play the Top 20 songs each hour where listeners have voted online, but that channel wears me out because it seems everytime I turn it on, I catch the same song... I like all sorts of different music and I'm not very happy with the country music selection they offer on XM. Some of the stations have dj's that do certain shows and they are starting to talk more, which pisses me off too. They raised the price from like $9.99 per month to $14.99 per month (if you were paying on a monthly basis) which I found pretty ridiculous also. I may not be renewing once my three months are up.

>if i get the portable version with the adapter to install in the car, how is it gonna sound?

Depends. I got the CD changer adapter (about $30) and connected it that way. It's an adapter that fools your car radio into thinking a CD changer is attached, then pipes the audio directly from the XM radio to the car's radio. Works great for me. Most music stations are CD quality, but the talk stations are much lower.

I have installed XM systems into several jets now. Little known fact - XM also broadcasts weather information in digital form that can be viewed on some aircraft MFD (multi function displays). I just did an Garmin install and got to toy with it a bit. Really cool, showed Nexrad, Metars, TFRs, Winds Storms, Lightening strikes, etc. You could also download weather info for your destination in textual or graphical form. Nifty-riffic. (ohh yea, add another couple wires itll pipe music out to your audio system too... wouldnt want to leave that out.)

Who wouldnve known this would exsist a few years ago?

Derek

has anyone tried the MyFi? its the new portable xm reciever about the size of an ipod.

this is what i ended up getting, it ROCKS! came with everything i needed to set up satelite radio anywhere. it's wireless so i can run it through any fm radio including the car. only problem i've run into is that i had to read the instructions to make it work...