ChasingBlueSky

What "old" bands have you just discovered?

I realize that in the past year I picked up a couple new favorite bands that aren't new at all. It's amazing to think that with the thousand or so CDs that I own that none of these groups were in my player before this year:

Ben Folds Five
They Might Be Giants
Allman Brothers
Tom Waits
Jimmy Buffett (even saw him in concert)
Weezer (saw them in concert as well)

So, whats 'new to you' that you are really enjoying now?

Well, not me, but my 13 year old son has just discovered Queen. "Under Pressure" is his new theme song for soccer and he cranks it up in my van before practice and games! We have Classic Queen and now the Greatest Hits I is on his Christmas list.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, not me, but my 13 year old son has just discovered Queen. "Under Pressure" is his new theme song for soccer and he cranks it up in my van before practice and games! We have Classic Queen and now the Greatest Hits I is on his Christmas list.

Oooh! Oooh! Queen. An all-time great! Add "A Night at the Opera" to the list (it has some goodies like Bohemian Rhapsody and You're My Best Friend, but also shows the breadth of the music they composed). Truly unique Queen was.B| If you really want him to experiment, buy Queen II, Jazz, and Hot Space. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Oh yeah, one recent discovery for me was No Doubt. I didn't know they'd been around since pre-92. Bought the singles CD and a couple others. Good stuff.

Other than that, I've been filling in the blanks of existing collections of mine, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well, I probably shouldn't admit it... but I recently got Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" on CD (after years of not listening to it since I only had it on vinyl and no longer have a record player)... and I'm liking it a lot!

The CD is cool because it has some bonus tracks from their demo album, which are much more "raw" sounding - and I think those are some of their best recordings ever. >:(

But I guess that's more like re-discovering an old band, since I liked them a lot when I was a teenager.

Too Fast For Love has some original tracks that were put on the EP that was released under Leathur records. Toast of the Town was one of them which happens to be one of my favorite songs.

As far as old bands? Joe Satriani and Steve Vai

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

As far as old bands? Joe Satriani and Steve Vai

heheheh:Dthey're not old bands:D:D:D

The trouble with a thread like this is how old is "OLD" I'm just getting into Sony Boy Williamson (I & II) Big Bill Bronzy and Sonny Terry & Browne McGhee, now those boys are OLD;) and COOLER than IceB|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm downloading a bunch of older radiohead tracks right now ;)

Jen

See that's what I mean, Radiohead for god sake is NOT Old, they're like 5 years ago:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Massive Attack. I'd heard some of their stuff a while ago, but I just downloaded the "Blue Lines" album and it is incredible. I'm rediscovering some older Portishead stuff, too.

Way out West (still around, but their older stuff is amazing)

I hate it when radio stations announce a "new" band that has actually been around for years, just on indie labels and the like. Modest Mouse is a good example of this.

Glad to see someone else listening to They Might Be Giants...they hold several places on my iPod! Particle man, particle man, doin' the things a particle can...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I know ;) Hence the winky icon :D

If its any consolation I'm downloading some 1970s genesis too :P

Jen

OK Genisis I can live with as OLD, esspecially if Peter Gabriel is up front on vocals;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm downloading a bunch of older radiohead tracks right now ;)

Jen

See that's what I mean, Radiohead for god sake is NOT Old, they're like 5 years ago:D:D:D

That's why I put old in quotes and then said "not new bands" and said "new to you" ;) See, got that one covered already

"Under Pressure" is his new theme song for soccer and he cranks it up in my van before practice and games!

Wow. That's kind of a spooky coincidence :o....'Dead On Time' off the JAZZ album was the song that always pumped me up before my college matches (it's mandatory that the volume be turned to 10 or higher). And I always got a kick from the "Thunderbolt courtesy of God" album credit.

Good on Nick ! With such a great pre-game ritual, I predict he'll be a stellar player.....good thing he got his great taste in music from his dad. :P:)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Allmans are one of my all time faves.

Recently I've discovered some other interesting bands and musicians, typically for the guitar:

1) Ottmar Liebert - pretty cool stuff, and remarkably easy to play;
2) Old Rod Stewart, back when he did his own songs instead of covering everyone else's
3) Alice Cooper - his Muscle of Love album is quite fascinating
4) Nick Drake - acoustic, depressing stuff.
5) Old Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green - good old blues.
6) Steely Dan - simply an amazing band.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I've started to download some Supertramp recently. Don't understand the interest.

Crime of the Cetury
Breakfast in America
Could we have Kippers for breakfast
Mommie dear Mommie dear
they gotta have 'em in Texas
Everyones a million air
:D:D:D
I used to love that album when it came out, but yea it's a bit dated now:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?