BeattheDrums

Fun on Airlines

Nice story - fun with wuffos!

But seriously, stick that stuff in a suitcase next time. The public is still freaked out about airplanes and we need to keep it on the DL.

If you absolutley MUST let everyone know you're a skydiver, wear a t-shirt.

I would love to put my rig into a bag, infact I got a bag just for that purpose, however when I put my LARGE rig into the bag it's barely over the carry on size limit, it is within that limit without the bag, so.. Since I jump big shit, I'm screwed and have to just carry it on :S

How often does an airline really stick to the carry on size limit? Certainly very few planes that I have been on!! Put it in a bag and take your chance, much safer than leaving it out for all sorts of things to go wrong.

***not directed at anyone in particular, but if you want to advertise and strike up conversation about the fact that you jump, I'm sure you will find a way to do so whether your rig is stuck on your back screaming "I'm a jumper talk to me", or not!!!

I'd rather have an awkward morning than a boring night!!!

I also mentioned that he might just get stopped and interviewed but you didn't mention that. Did you?

Of course not, that would have been a boring post:P Oh wait, nevermind it was anyway.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

If you want to be low-profile (which really is a good idea), then you can put it into just about any sort of thin cloth bag (the idea being to make it nondescript, not protect it necessarily) which will then fit into anything that the rig alone would. All they want is for you to be able to fit the package into the little frame -- it doesn't have to be pretty, or unwrinkled, or anything else.
That way you'll be like everyone else. No weirdo will want to spend the whole flight talking to you about their own "skydiving experiences" (or whatever), no one will follow you off the airplane because an expensive hobby means money elsewhere (ha!), no one will fuck with it because they're the kind of person who hits all the buttons on the elevator.

And yes, then you won't attract as much attention from the TSA folks, and you won't be making the flight harder for the flight attendants.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Of course not, that would have been a boring post

Yes............reminds me of short smelly people that live under the bridge. :D:D:D

<------------------- You mean those?:D:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I would love to put my rig into a bag, infact I got a bag just for that purpose, however when I put my LARGE rig into the bag it's barely over the carry on size limit, it is within that limit without the bag, so.. Since I jump big shit, I'm screwed and have to just carry it on

The first Infinity I bought has a 249 Raven reserve and a 260 Triathalon main...It still fit in the bag.. all you have to do is leave the main unpacked... and put the rig in then stuff the main in all around it...... it packs up just fine.. and fits..once its closed.. sit on it... and compress it down so that the secondary zipper collapses the carryon down even further. It works... and all you have to do is pack when you get where you are going.. and no hassle from the TSA or the airlines.

Before 9/11...I would always check my rig in a hard sided locked suitcase, now I won't as all baggage is subject to search and "examination".

When carrying on my rig, I've found that the rig itself meets carryon size restrictions and (if necessary) will fit under my seat if it is out of a gear bag. So...what I do is this: I carry the rig on in a gearbag or rolling case...if I get stopped at the gate due to size restrictions, I pull out the rig and carry it on... letting them put the empty case or gearbag below.

This has nothing to do with carrying a rig on the plane, but nevertheless this is a funny story. A bunch of friends got on a commercial plane to go to Burningman. Already highly obliterated on something, they has seats in the back of the plane. One of the guys walks to the front on the plane and stands in the aisle motioning for his friends to watch him. He jumps up thinking the back of the plane was going to catch up with him, but all that happen was he fell to the floor right where he was standing. :D:D:D
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

I always keep a printed and laminated TSA advisory (available form their website) inside

Is this the TSA advisory (http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1147.xml), or is it somewhere else on the website? This was all I could find relating to parachutes on the TSA website.

I'm sure the main thing whether you were conscious of it or not was in fact you wanted everyone on that plane to know you were a skydiver. The old saying..how can you tell if someone is a skydiver...because they will surely tell you. I agree with the other person that said if you want everyone to know, yes, where a t-shirt. But all altimeters, audibles, etc. should be kept with the rig in a concealed bag on the airplane. There is no reason to freak anyone out and make airports change their minds about carry on skydive equipment.[:/]

This has nothing to do with carrying a rig on the plane, but nevertheless this is a funny story. A bunch of friends got on a commercial plane to go to Burningman. Already highly obliterated on something, they has seats in the back of the plane. One of the guys walks to the front on the plane and stands in the aisle motioning for his friends to watch him. He jumps up thinking the back of the plane was going to catch up with him, but all that happen was he fell to the floor right where he was standing. :D:D:D

Apparently he missed that discussion about inertia in 9th grade science class. :P
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Apparently he missed that discussion about inertia in 9th grade science class

But it works great with a little push off if the plane is the Vomit Comet......great fun... nicely padded.. kind of a funky smell though..

another humorous airline story...

The week before mothers day, we were on our way back from Z-hills, and while we were waiting to pull away from the Gate some guys gets on his cell phone and all you hear is "Happy Mothers Day!!", then a bit of a pause, then a " what do you mean, Its Sunday?" at which point the guy realizes that everyone can hear him and he is in fact a week early. Just as he is about to hang up and completely brush away the Embarrassing situation, I shout out " Get in a Happy Birthday While you're at it." the whole back of the plane erupts in laughter he goes bright red. I couldn't talk for like the next 20 minutes I was laughing so hard.

I like Beans

Go to Target and buy a cheap 21" rolling pilot case. The rig will fit perfectly, be mobile, and will attract absolutely zero attention. Put it on the belt, keep your mouth shut, and you'll be fine.

Take the chest strap and wrap it around the reserve handle a few times and thread it through the buckle. Please don't tie a rubber band or a pullup cord around the handle- more than one person has done that and actually jumped it that way. Sometimes I get someone that wants to try on my rig or something like that and I considered getting a big red 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' banner to secure the handle to prevent accidents.

I use a rig bag with a "REMOVE BEFORE FLGHT" streamer on it. I mostly get smiles from those in the know - everyone else is clueless. B|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Apparently he missed that discussion about inertia in 9th grade science class.

Jeff must have been home sick that day... poor boy...[:/]

By the way, TSA and CTSA (canadian version) are a joke.

I would expect a question about the rig when passing through xrays. The Cypres display unit and especially the cutter LOOK like they could be detonators (I used to work with explosives, so yes, I know what I'm talking about). I would expect a TSA agent to ask to open the bag and see what it was. 9 out of 10 times, Karen and I go through without a single question.

A couple of trips back, Karen was picked for a random check, and the TSA girl freaked out when she saw the rig. Her superior and the letter we had cleared it up, but when I gave her the letter, she asked if I had a rig in my bag, and looks completely surprised when I said yes.... These people dont know what the hell they are looking at on the xray screens IMO.
Remster

Is this the TSA advisory, or is it somewhere else on the website? This was all I could find relating to parachutes on the TSA website.

HTML http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005b0f5&print=yes

and PDF http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/PTT_Parachuting_102003.pdf

I carry the PDF version since it looks more official.

You can find it by searching on USPA.ORG for "TSA".

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>How often does an airline really stick to the carry on size limit?

Pretty often, in my experience. They eyeball bags near the gate, primarily, and then get to be real sticklers when things start to not fit in the plane.

Shoot, wish they would do that then when the couple that decides to carry on their 4 oversized bags hits me in the head as they walk past me cause they didn't board when their row was called!!!B| :S

I'd rather have an awkward morning than a boring night!!!

>Shoot, wish they would do that then when the couple that decides to carry
> on their 4 oversized bags hits me in the head as they walk past me cause
>they didn't board when their row was called!!!

I was once on a 747 getting ready to take off. A fat woman walked on the plane with:

-a guitar in a case
-a large suitcase
-a huge duffel bag
-a backpack.

She got to her seat, sweating profusely, then plopped down and hit the flight attendant call button. The FA couldn't get to her, since people were still boarding, and so called down the aisle "What do you need?"

"I need someone to help me with my bag!" she yelled back.

"Please get it out of the aisle, ma'am, so people can pass you and I can get back there."

"Where am I supposed to put it?" she yelled back.

After about a minute of this, me and the guy sitting next to me got up and started putting her stuff away. She immediately started protesting - "Hey! Be careful with that guitar! It won't fit up there!" We made it fit, then got her duffel bag in the overhead. I put her backpack under the seat and had her sit down. Then I handed her the suitcase and sat back down myself. A few people applauded.

People started filing by her; she was bitching the whole time. "What am I supposed to do with this suitcase? And where are my feet supposed to go? Why don't you guys just mind your own business?"

When the flight attendant got back she took her suitcase and tried to check it. The woman started up again. "No way, last time you lost it, there's no way I'm checking it." They got a gate agent on board who started explaining that they would pull her off the plane and deal with her luggage issues in the terminal, which shut her up.

They finally got the bag away from her and we took off, but she would complain periodically about her feet to me. On the plus side I got a lot of attention from the flight attendants, and had enough beer that I didn't really care.

Pretty often, in my experience. They eyeball bags near the gate, primarily, and then get to be real sticklers when things start to not fit in the plane.

But it seems everyone can manage to get on with a bag that only fits sideways in the overhead, and instead of 3 bags fitting only 2 will. Nice 33% reduction in capacity as a result. I'd rather wait till the end to board the plane, but if I want to be sure I can put my bag overhead, I need to do it sooner than later.

. These people dont know what the hell they are looking at on the xray screens IMO.

I agree. I had my new Firebolt assembled in my Racer, and flew to SGF to pick it up, my skydive buddy Steve Eggers who runs airports Crash Fire Resuce service loaned the rig to the TSA that day.. they were having trainings class and he lent rig so they's know what one looked like on X-rays etc. The TSA at SGF know's Steve skydives if they got questions about a rig.. they call Steve over.

.....call me a troll all you want then go look at my post count then try again......my point was that you were being a tad over zealous .....and you were so feel free to calm down and step away from the coffee cup

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "