justaflygirl

Screw it... I QUIT!

[replyBeing an attractive girl , our instruction is often times half-assed. A guy is gonna get better more thorough intruction b/c he is a guy, an attractive girl, maybe not always the case, but flirting often takes the place of a thorough education. I know of SEVERAL girls who have expierenced this, and mine was doubly bad b/c I am attractive and I b/c I was a jumpers wife....

If you're that self absorbed that you can post this without any hint of irony, it's really no surprise that you haven't learned enough to keep yourself out of trouble.

It's probably a good idea to take a break. The ground doesn't care how pretty you think you are. The only thing the ground will do is ensure that you become ugly when you fuck up.

Serious Response:
I was going to write a sarcastic funny dopey post but realized maybe I should take this post more serious. My $.02 - Don't overeact. Any time a person has an opportunity to learn a lesson and live to learn that lesson, should consider themselves fortunate. Especially in skydiving. Kick back, take a week or two off and then make a decison. Granted the sport is not for everyone and only you would know best what's best for you but, I'm sure you have some time and money invested in the sport, so you should give it some time. Also people who really know you (at the DZ) could probably offer you good advice unlike here on the internet where folks only read the text and don't know who you are.

Not so serious response:
I like downwind no flare competitions and I train students to do so just so I can point and laugh after the carnage. Also I got my ratings basicaly so I could get laid...:)B|

And I love pointing and laughing;)...

Blues and Booze!B|

If you're gonna quit, quit because skydiving isn't for you for whatever reason. Don't quit because of nasty comments on a website.

And if you don't quit, don't leave dropzone.com either. Maybe quit posting if you want... but read the skydiving forums! You can learn just as much there as you can from the SIM or anything else. There's no way you can read those forums and not come across any concept which you haven't been educated on. Skydiving without keeping current on what's going on in the sport is like jumping with your eyes closed. Open em.

Dave

Being an attractive girl , our instruction is often times half-assed. A guy is gonna get better more thorough intruction b/c he is a guy, an attractive girl, maybe not always the case, but flirting often takes the place of a thorough education. I know of SEVERAL girls who have expierenced this, and mine was doubly bad b/c I am attractive and I b/c I was a jumpers wife....

First suggestion is to delete this post before you get half the skydiving population calling bullshit...

secondly, didnt your momma ever tell you that nobody likes a quitter;)

I've been in the sport around 30 years--it ain't bullshit. I have seen it happen many times. Is it the 100% rule? Absolutely not, but it can and does happen--especially to jumpers' wives and girlfriends.

I have warned women who I thought were being progressed too fast.

IMO, the fact that nobody stopped her from jumping barefoot with such a low number of jumps says volumes about the situation. That being said, the fact she did jump barefoot is not a good reflection on her because it really defies common sense. Anyone who jumps barefoot on a regular basis either has a high level of skill or a high level of complacency.

My advice to justafly girl is to do what others have recommended. Chill out for a while. Think of what YOU could have done to change the outcome. LEARN from what happened.

Walt

"why is it easier to land with ground winds then not"

If you are landing into the wind, it reduces your forward ground speed.

Example 1: Assume your canopy flies at a forward air speed of 30mph. If the wind is blowing 10 mph, and you land into the wind, your forward ground speed will be 20mph.

I could be wrong. We will know shortly cuz we are on DZ.com. haha

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Example 1: Assume your canopy flies at a forward air speed of 30mph. If the wind is blowing 10 mph, and you land into the wind, your forward ground speed will be 20mph.

I could be wrong. We will know shortly cuz we are on DZ.com. haha

Bingo, except most canopies are only about 20mph forward. I learned that by jumping in gusts of 25 mph once. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I only teach guys with 10 inches or more

And you invited me a while back to jump at Taft with you.

Have we met in the past? I mean, given your criteria...

No we never got to meet but I've heard bigs things about you!;)

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Being an attractive girl , our instruction is often times half-assed.

Okay Flygirl... you see that quote at the top and you think I'm gonna call bullshit like the rest eh?

Well I'm not. In my opinion, (offensive as it may be to some intructors) and depending on the DZ, you could be absolutely right! This sport was founded by Alpha Males... It has evolved quite a bit but it's not like the attitute is entirely gone. However, it's not like you can't turn it around. I see hot chickies getting ALL SORTS of free coach jumps and stuff. All the time! (It's just not fair!!)

But to me this means you need extra dilligence to keep yourself safe. Don't just go with it if you are being rushed through instruction. I mean, isn't that commen sense? Ask many questions. Ask many people. Someone responded to the likes of: "Pretty girls get more attention and therefore more instruction... so there!". HA!... those pretty girls get the attention, likely not the kind they need to learn how to save their asses... pretty and round as those asses mey be. :)
Don't get down about this. People make mistakes. Then people on this board disect those mistakes and we all try to learn.

Questions like: "Why didn't you flare?" are still awaiting responses! You can't create a new thread and call it "Fuck all of you that think I did something wrong."... you did do some things wrong.

I would not have accepted half-assed instruction.
I would not have landed barefoot on the Tarmac
I would have flared no matter what the landing situation was.

Now to the best of my knowlege, you have posted the incident, you have been asked about these things (leave gear choice -reserve size and barefootedness- aside a sec), but you have not addressed them!

Don't quit the sport. Quit thinking we want you to. Just think hard about what YOU did to get yourself hurt. Think about what YOU can do to avoid getting hurt in the futur... then discuss discuss discuss!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

1)All these comments about the trouble attractive girls have because they are attractive is making me gag. This does a discredit to all women in this sport because it is to play the helpless female card, and I don't buy that. I know too many very together, attractive and terrific women to ever accept that.

2) Honestly, it's like people never have any homework. Why is it the people shift the burden onto their instructors in this sport? It is EACH person's responsibility to constantly pursue continuing education in this sport. There is no end to the lesson plans, no completion, no arrival, ever. There is always something more you can learn about the wind, the weather, technique, emergency procedures. It never stops; you never arrive.

3) Let's take responsibility for our own actions. As I mentioned in my response to the other thread, I saw Marcus Antebi's torn up feet in the Skydiving Survival Guide as he advised people to always wear shoes when jumping. Ignoring it is one thing. Saying we did not know is inexcusable. This world is crawling with information. You just have to be willing to reach out and get it - if not from an instructor, from studying text, videos, or incident forums, whatever. And even then, something may happen-the complete unforeseen. This was not one of those. Accept the situation. Don't bitch about it - learn from it and be better. No one has to know you well to understand this life-principal.

All I can say is that if someone canopy collides with me and tells me later (if I live through it) that I should forgive them because they were atrractive and therefore had impaired training I am going to be really pissed.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Being an attractive girl , our instruction is often times half-assed.

That's totally and completely ridiculous. If that is the way you are treated in life, then you need to change your behavior.

But.... What about compounding it with her being the wife of a jumper? I know people who are nervous of giving aggressive coaching/instruction to the wife of a friend that plays in the same sport. (regardless of which sport -- not just skydiving!) Especially when it comes to the more introverted individuals.

It's an unfortunate thing....but it seems to happen sometimes. Didn't know it happened in skydiving too :(

I froze when I realized I was going land on the taxi way, having ground fixation and not flaring has been one of my bigger problems in the past, but the last 15 or so jumps, it hasnt been a problem, my landings were spot on

That was my best guess.... :(

Regardless... don't sell yet. Write down a reminder for August or September "SELL RIG" on a calendar date two or three months from now. Keep an eraser handy. Put the rig away in the closet. Lock the door. Enjoy time with your kids. Soothe the nerves of your hubby. Reflect on your own mistakes. Spread the blame sparingly (take a little blame for yourself and a little blame for an inadequate FJC). Life is valuable.

You may wish to revisit skydiving once you're ready. If you eventually decide to jump.... I don't think you'll ever forget to flare again. I hope! Pain has often been the best teacher. Retaking the FJC may be a good idea too.

Fun tip.... While you're on the ground and undecided about quitting, get a highly recommended book "Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook". This will compensate partially any half-assed FJC or excellently supplement a superb FJC. It really helped me because I already roughly knew what "landing pattern" and "flare" meant before my progressive freefall training, and it helped me ask a few more questions about things. Definitely read entire book cover to cover.

I only teach guys with 10 inches or more.:S:D:D:D

j

Did I ever thank you for my AFF instruction...:D

No, as a matter of fact, you moved instead!;)

j

:D Well I was going to reply with "I had to move cause Chris was getting jealous and I didn't want to end up in one of those cars he sells"...but I decided not to. Didn't want to offened...:D

Odd how between the two of you you can't get the story right...

Either you're lying

About the small reserve, when the rig was first bought I was totally okay leaving it sit until I was ready to jump it, but shortly after I had my A license, my husband told me I was fine to jump it, this was around jump #30. The main at the time was a Sabre 135. Since he was a coach, I assumed it was fine. It had the 126 reserve in it then too.

or he is:

Maybe you should take a break. Doesn't sound like you know what's going on anyways...and you're just too 'beautiful' to understand wtf you're doing in the air anyhow . Save everyone else in the air the danger of jumping with you.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I got a PM about this and I think it is the dz's you frequent. When you get a chance travel to a few others. They are not all like your's.

Unfortunately there aren't to many options in CO. :(

I agree he needs to go boogieing, the amount of people at boogies who will offer their advice whether you want it or not is is huge. ;)
Fly it like you stole it!

Odd how between the two of you you can't get the story right...

Either you're lying

About the small reserve, when the rig was first bought I was totally okay leaving it sit until I was ready to jump it, but shortly after I had my A license, my husband told me I was fine to jump it, this was around jump #30. The main at the time was a Sabre 135. Since he was a coach, I assumed it was fine. It had the 126 reserve in it then too.

or he is:

Maybe you should take a break. Doesn't sound like you know what's going on anyways...and you're just too 'beautiful' to understand wtf you're doing in the air anyhow . Save everyone else in the air the danger of jumping with you.

Not only OUCH....but OPPS too...:D