pseudonym

Is skydiving not cool ??

Hoping this doesn't come off the wrong way but I was interested by the replies to my last post, made in (quite substantially drunken :$) jest, in which I stated that skydiving looks cool.

(if I have managed to get this link thing happening you can read what I mean here ... not really worth your effort though :)the post

Looks to me like some folk took a bit of offence, or at least didn't seem to like the idea of someone thinking skydiving is cool (particularly I spose a one jump wonder who has still not done any further training ;)).

this is obviously not the first or only time it's been mentioned that if you think skydiving is cool you should not take it up (the impression I get reading a few posts around here anyway).

obviously if you hate every second you're in the air and only do it to be 'cool' you're an idiot but in saying skydiving looks cool and that's why I wanna get into it more seriously I am being honest. It looks fun... why else would anyone do it (or anything really).

Surely every jumper here did not see a jump or hear about it or whetever and think 'yeah that sounds/looks like it could be a deeply moving personal experience' (though I don't doubt some jumps may be). Surely most, if not all, thought about it and it occured to them that jumping out of a plane could be really fun so they tried it.

Am I wrong ?? is there something wrong with wanting to start jumping cause it looks fun/interesting/different ?? (maybe it is just the word 'cool' and it's lame connotations that folk dislike ?)

this is not intended as an attack on anyone who responded to my earlier post (in my thinking if you're posting drunk on an internet discussion board you deserve whatever you get :P ... BTW nothing said was in the least bit offensive, some were in fact really good calls :)
rather I am interested to know the thoughts of 'real' skydivers as regards 'proper' motivation to enter the sport.

I maintain 'fun' is an OK reason ... though as I thnk about it 'cool' may not necessarily have the same meaning as fun to everyone.

hmmmm

interested to hear what ya rekon.

Colin (with a killer hangover B|)
Because it's there - Mallory

> I am interested to know the thoughts of 'real' skydivers as regards 'proper' motivation to enter the sport. <

Cause there's always lotta beer around & chicks dig scars!;)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Hell yah its cool! But its also dangerous and if you don't respect that, you'll die.
Dying is not cool.

hmm ok now I may get my ASS CHEWED out...but dying is awesome! We were all born to die...but what is cool...is that we lived!

I know it's sort of an ass backwards way of looking at things, but really...if we say dying isn't cool than that means what we lived for wasn't worth it all...

Just my 2 cents

Nah not gonna chew on your ass. I see your point. But I still say dying isnt cool .. but I haven't died yet, I only know people who have. For them, it may be wonderful.. for the rest of us left behind, it sucks. So I'm going to keep trying not to die for as long as possible. And as long as I'm here, I'm going to enjoy my sport. B|

how nice is ur ass? I dont really like chewing "non desirable" (to be politically correct) ass:|

edited to add: but I dont really think you live to die. its an unfortunate result.. I live to live. sure eventually I will die, but if everything I did was striving towards dying, I could find a much quicker and efficient way of doing it then I currently am:D
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

how nice is ur ass? I dont really like chewing "non desirable" (to be politically correct) ass:|

hmmm, I don't know how others view my ass lol but I don't think it's a bad thing ;)

hmm well u seem like a credible source, I mean you post on dz.com how much more credibility does a person need;) I'll take your word for it :D
----

hmmm, I don't know how others view my ass lol but I don't think it's a bad thing ;)

What?? Nobody's ever said "heeeey nice ass!" or "your ass looks really good in those pants.".. ????
Surely! :D

What?? Nobody's ever said "heeeey nice ass!" or "your ass looks really good in those pants.".. ????

what the hell kinda dropzone has she been at? hmm maybe we're just a bit over vocal down here in the south kitty...[:/]

edited to add: south east contiguous that is.. cause um yeah Hawaii is technically south of here[:/]
----

skydiving equates to coolness.
You know... "let the coolness into your vertebrae".
If you do it to BE cool., see the kitty's post.
Otherwise. we rock.
Not that other sports dont rock. But skydiving still rawks!

My drunken .02! :S

The ground is hard, and it will hurt you. Ask my orthopedic surgeon. [:/]
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

umm, I've never seen your ass - post PICS and we'll all judge it most fairly I assure thee. >:( (If it is half as good as your hair cut I'm sure its a sweet one though) :D

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I knew it !! skydiving is cool heh heh heh B|

for sure there has to be a million different reasons anyone does anything but if you do anything you don't really enjoy just to be 'cool' you're missing the point in my book.

Lifes too short to do stupid shyte just to impress people, and in the case of skydiving you'll probably make it a lot shorter if you do.

But it is comforting to know real skydivers think it's 'cool' to jump out of a plane as well :P.
Because it's there - Mallory

From my perspective, you're correct Cool is such a lame and nebulous concept.

Why do I skydive? For a number of measurable reasons..... Working at a challenge/skill and improving (body flying better,canopy control better)
and for a number of unmeasurable reasons.. (Meeting like minded people, enjoying their company and sharing. The sense of freedom I get from a solo dive and the completely different perspective of the world that I get from that situation).
Finally ... I do it for ME.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Skydiving is sooooo cool!!

Personally, I started because I was coming home from the pub on Friday nights thinking that there must be more to life.

I don't think that there are many wrong or bad reasons to skydive - with the posssible exception of things like "I've always wondered what the inside of someone elses rig would look like right after the door goes up".

If it stokes your fire then go large!!

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.