mailin

Volkswagen Owners (esp. Jetta's)

I've always like VW as a company, and have always found their design appealing. I bought a 2004 Jetta TDI last summer and love it. Of all the cars I considered (the Mazda3 included) it was easily the most fun to drive. No problems so far, at 22k miles. The customer service has been exceptional. The oil changes on the diesel are more expensive, but you only have to do them every 10k miles, so you're paying more less often. My routine maintenance (oil changes, etc) have not been covered by my warranty. I'm considering the Passat for my wife.

Jen,
you'll LOVE the VW TDI Diesels. I fill my VW Jetta TDI up about every 3 weeks. I fuel it and then drive it for 560 miles low fuel light will come on at 560 miles low fuel light = 1 gallon fuel left 1 gallon fuel = 45 mpg.

with your driving I bet you'd fuel it up maybe once a month.

see http://www.tdiclub.com/ lots information about the VW tdi's. one guy on passat on trip in cruise control got 1400 miles on one tank of fuel some 62 mpg at 55 mph

I've owned 2 Jettas...

The first one was GREAT... until I got hit by a drunk, uninsured, unlicensed illegal alien :S

The second one had a good number of problems... mostly minor, but annoying regardless as several of them happened more than once. I ditched it immediately after the warranty expired.

Both cars were purchased brand new.

I looked at the Toyota Corolla (too common, too vanilla), the Honda Civic (also too common, too vanilla), the Mazda3 (questionable Mazda reliability, looks designed for high-schoolers), the Mini Cooper (too mini for the daughter I was expecting at the time and have in the backseat of my Jetta from time to time), and the Focus (questionable reliability, ugly). Ultimately, my decision came down to the car I would enjoy driving the most. That was the Jetta. Easily the best-driving car of the lot (except for the Mini, but like I said, the Mini was too small). I also liked that it packed the longest list of standard features. Most of the other cars jumped substantially in price once they were equipped similiarly to the Jetta. And, with the daughter on the way, the Jetta's high safety rating was a major selling point. I think it got the highest possible rating for rear seat safety or the highest rating in its class. And I totally agree with mx757 on everything he's said about the diesel engine. It's great.

I can personally tell you that a Jetta is a very safe car... from experience.

If you saw the outside of my Jetta after the crash, you'd think the passengers got killed. If you saw the inside, you wouldn't even have known it was in an accident (besides the broken windows and airbags).

Both myself and my passenger walked away with bruises (airbag injuries) after getting hit directly on the passenger's side by a car going 75-80mph (police estimate).

well in that case, the 2005 Jetta's all come with dual airbags in dash and front / rear side airbags.
just remember if your going to clean the car like I do by taking seats out, vacume everything & then re-installing the seats, be sure to disconnect the battery first then disconnect the plug under seat. if you don't.. when you tilt the seats to remove them.. the ALL airbgs will fire!
I don't plan to wreck my Jetta, but you never know with all those damn Whuffo's out on roads...

I'm a sucker for manual transmission - less stuff to break

Nope, you only like to break the person sitting in the passenger seat:P

Some cars have three petals, some cars have two petals. If there are only two petals, you don't use the brake as a clutchB|
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My daughter just called - some shallow ender just left turned in front of her and ran her through a sign, over the curb and into a field. What is she upset about? Her Jetta might be totalled! She's just really upset about her car being broke.

Thank God she's ok and her friend is Ok and I wasn't up there and armed or I'd be in jail right now. I guess if you call her she'd recommend a Jetta.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Mazda 3 is the way to go. Just as much fun, less money and cheaper maintinence.

Just ask eeneR we both own Hatchbacks. I love mine it so much fun to drive.

Ya know im with ya 100% on this Slappie...

So far the mazda 3 totally rocks. I find my self just getting the car and driving around all over the place...with no where really to go...just driving :D Ok i guess I should be honest, I keep taking the damn thing on the highway to ride the on and off ramps...and passing people while im doing 60..punching it...and getting my head smacked into the head rest from the damn thing downshifting and taking off :D and that is the automatic tranny! :oB|

Add another vote here.

I love the hell out of my 3 5door. It may not be the absolute fastest thing out there, but it is so quick, comfortable and fun to drive that I can do pretty much whatever the hell I want. When I'm not blowing by everyone else, I'm fucking with the wannabe's. Too much fun.

And its practical too; me, the dogs, and gear for a week and a half to Eloy at Xmas!!
--
Jason
--
--
Jason
--
Some people never go crazy. What truly boring lives they must lead.

Diesel powered cars should have the exhaust right on top of the hood. I'm sure there are some that don't belch out soot when accelerating, but they are a distinct minority.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Diesel powered cars should have the exhaust right on top of the hood. I'm sure there are some that don't belch out soot when accelerating, but they are a distinct minority.

I already hear! You never drove a Turbo-diesel. It will definately accelerate faster at a trafic light than a petrol car. It's not the power that matters, it's the torque (By the way you can drive your diesel car on kerosine)

Oh yes I own a 15 year old VW-polo (petrol). 250000kilometers and never broke down.
When driving normally 15km on a liter:)Much better than my mitsubishi sigma 3.0V6 when talking about milage and cost of spare parts
My next car willfor sure be german!

Here in europe a Jetta is a very old model not sold and more for the last 10 years, but I found out model names in europe and the US does not mean the car is the same. My Sigma is called Diamante in the US for example.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

The new VW TDI diesels do not put out any black smoke or soot at all. if you were driving behind one.. you'd never know it was a diesel. looks just like any other car from the exhaust.

I've only ever driven VW.

My first car was a Golf 1 Citi Sport, then i went to a Golf 3 GSX, then to a Polo Classic and currently i drive a Golf 4 1.6 Comfortline.
My dad drives the new diesel Jetta and my mom drives a Golf 5 diesel. So this subject is prett close to my heart!

Here are my answers, bearing in mind we live in different countries.

Your overall opinion of your VW?

I love my car. It's comfortable, the standard sound system is great, the car looks good without any mods and drives like a dream. Provided i don't drive like a wild man i get pretty good mileage to a tank too.

Have you had any problems with your VW?

None whatsoever, on any of the VW's i've driven. They've never broken down or left me stranded anywhere.

Your overall impression of VW as a company?

I like the company and can definately relate to their brand proposition of being people's cars. I've made some of my fondest memories behind the wheel of a VW (no jokes please :D) plus i've always found the staff at the service places to be friendly and more than helpful.

Your overall opinion of cost of upkeep on your VW?

Again we live in different countries so ymmv but the costs of servicing my Golf 4 have been unbeleivably cost effective.

Would you buy another VW?

In a heartbeat. The Golf 5 GTI is my dream car.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Dude giver. I was a die hard Ford fan for over ten years. Never owned anything but. Then I just started looking at VeeDubs and I was hooked. I have an 04 Jetta TDI with 20000km on it. Only problem was a sqeak in the headliner. The car has been great, lots of jam to make it thru the mountains in fifth gear. The stability control and abs are great. The monsoon stereo, sunroof and heated seats kickass. I love the car and will probably own a few more.

The only comlaint is the service.