Sandro29

Traveling with your rig (Airlines)

Hey Everyone,

I've never had the chance to travel by plane with my rig. I've spoken to the airline people and they've said that I can check the rig at the counter and I can bring it that way. The idea of leaving it out of my site worries me...I'd rather check my laptop and bring my rig onboard with me.

Has anyone had issues with leaving the gear at check-in? If anyone has taken their gear on-board with them recently, how did they go about doing it?

Thanks all for any input/advice.

If at first you don't succeed....then Skydiving is not for you!

I traveled with both of mine in a backpack to colorado from orlando for cp nationals and going there was no problem. On the way back in colorado it took some extra time because the person i was with had an AAD, I dont have an AAD in either of mine. What surprised me is they didnt say anything about either hook knife I had.

The TSA has instructions for traveling with a rig.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm

I flew and carried on my rig. My rig had a vigil AAD. I put my rig in its own bag, with a label on it saying 'parachute'. At security screening, I handed the xray operator a card vigil provides showing a scan of what their AAD looks like (since it could possibly be mistaken for a bomb), as well as notifications that it is safe for carry on. After it went through the xray, they simply swabbed the bag for explosives, and that was that. Pretty easy.

I put my rig in a standard 22in roller suitcase. I don't say anything about it, and once (out of only 8 times) have I had to take it out and have it swabbed.

I don't see a point of drawing any attention to it. If someone asks, then have the whole TSA advisory and Cypres card etc ready and understand they have the right to pop your reserve.

I also carry on a laptop bag, and I check my clothes. In small jets I have to put the roller bag in the cargo hold, but it has stiff sides so it helps against crush.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I've travelled with my rig(s) both base and skydiving through many Canadian and American (western) airports and never had a problem carrying it on. They often like to swab it and always ask what it is, but never stop traffic because of it.

I always make sure I have a cypres or vigil xray card ready to hand to the security people just in case.

Hell, last time I flew out of... um, Palm Springs I think, they joked about needing it!

Hey Fez,

Never had an issue last year. Orlando was like, whatever, put it in the bin and go. Ottawa on the other hand swbbed it and thought the 3 rings and the cutaway housing were brass knuckles. They called a supervisor over to verify and had me point out what it was.

I carried it on the plane in both directions. (Westjet)

I had a bunch of paperwork detailing what it was etc...never had to use any of it. I will bring it again though as I would NOT want to check it.

Msg me and I can give you more details.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I mirror what everyone else has said. I have not ever had a problem. I put mine in a carry on suitcase (the only think in the case) had the paperwork ready. I put a big sign on the inside of the case written huge letters that said basically that this is lifesaving equipment to please to contact my cell phone before any intrusive inspections took place, just in case I was forced to check it for some reason. I read somewhere that someone checked thier rig and at the destination thought nothing of it and jumped it. At the regular reserve repack the rigger found some insane amount of holes in the reserve from the TSA folks using the probe that the use to inspect.

As a side note after I got it through security I took it out to put other stuff in the case and someone looked at me, looked at the rig, looked back at me and said "You dont know something that we dont, do you?" that was funny as hell.

Have Rig will travel ...

You'll often need to check the hand luggage weight allowance of the airline too.

• Ryaniar (scum>:() - 10kgs
  • Easyjet - No limit

and the airport too
  • Stanstead - rig had to be checked into the hold last time that I tried to take it on-board.

I now have a hard case that I put it in and do a full inspection and repack when I get to the DZ before making the first jump.

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

You'll often need to check the hand luggage weight allowance of the airline too.

• Ryaniar (scum>:() - 10kgs
  • Easyjet - No limit

• 10kg, you lucky bugger, we only have a 7kg limit
    You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
    My Life ROCKS!
    How's yours doing?